Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 02-06-2011

Send a message via Yahoo to coachtomes
College Wrestling Meets MMA at Carroll University

Carroll University in Waukesha, WI, has approved a wrestling club for next year and is preparing to compete in the schoolís first season since the program was dropped in 1999. Carroll fielded a sanctioned wrestling program for 49 seasons and we are optimistic that varsity status is within reach. The team will compete at the NCWA National Tournament in 2011-12 but will compete primarily if not in full against sanctioned NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA teams.

I will be leading the program, and am excited to bring back a program I competed for. I was a four-year letter winner for the Pioneers from 1993-97 and have had a very successful coaching career since then. I was the youngest person to be named Wrestling USA Magazineís National Coach of the Year and have started two high school programs from scratch, leading both to the stateís top ten in three years or less. Iíve coached in Wisconsin and in Florida, but am very familiar with Illinois wrestling. I think anyone associated with wrestling in Illinois can understand why this area is so important to the future of our program. We are currently holding informal practices with 14 young men already on campus, and trying to bring in a strong group to add to that next year. Our current group includes wrestlers from Antioch, Woodstock, Libertyville, and Wauconda. Illinois makes up about 35% of our full-time student population. To achieve our goals, we need wrestlers from your state and hope you look at us closely.

Carroll is a private liberal arts college with about 3,000 full time students. Founded in 1846, it is the stateís oldest college. In 2010, it was listed at #184 on the Forbes Top College ranking list. Carroll has a wide-variety of academic programs offered, and is has flexible admissions and outstanding financial aid. Quality, on-campus housing is available, including two brand new dorms which will be open for next school year. Carroll has recently added masterís degrees in several areas, including Education and Physical Therapy, and is rapidly expanding those offerings. The link for Carroll is included below. Itís a free application and can be done online. If thatís not enough for you, Carroll is about 70% female and our logo and color scheme are virtually identical to a football team you refer to as the Bears.
The program as we have it designed will be very unique. We have formed a partnership with Waukesha Mixed Martial Arts, a local MMA gym, which will be our training facility. WMMA is a great facility and has a great track record with developing fighters. MMA training is optional, but available and encouraged for those who want to do both while in school. We have a former wrestler from Pecatonica who attends Carroll right now, trains with our wrestlers and is 2-1 in his MMA career right now. I believe we will be the only wrestling program, sanctioned or club, in the nation to present this opportunity.

As a coach, I am a big believer in multiple sports, and Carroll has a large number of sports to take part in as well, including football, track and baseball for men. Multiple sport participation is entirely possible and an option for any incoming wrestlers.

Iíve taken my former WI teams to many meets in Illinois, and know just how deep the talent pool is there. Your presence in our program is welcomed. Please do not hesitate to get a hold of me if you would like to find out more about what weíre doing at Carroll University.

Ben Tomes (coachtomes@hotmail.com, http://www.facebook.com/coachtomes)

Carroll University (http://www.carrollu.edu)

Waukesha Mixed Martial Arts: (http://www.trainatwmma.com)
Sponsored Links

Tags
carroll, college, mma, wrestling