Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-27-2019
CoachJD CoachJD is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 164
Of the 42 IHSA State Champs this year.
Only 4 of them have won an IESA State Championship.
7 State Runner ups were past IESA Champs.
There was 1-3rd place finisher and 1-6th place finisher (a previous IHSA Champ/Runner up)
3 other past IESA champs lost in the blood round.

I didn't go too much further into it but I did notice that a few other IHSA place winners that placed in IESA but did not win it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-04-2019
CVN-74 CVN-74 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 18
If the IKWF would change the dates of their state series to not coincide with the IESA State series they would have more kids competing in the IKWF series trying to win 2 state titles. Some of these middle schools tell their kids if you wrestle for the middle school you have to wrestle IESA series. And the IKWF needs to make their series double elimination. Follow the leader is terrible. My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-05-2019
eazymoney's Avatar
eazymoney eazymoney is offline
eazymoney
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 306
take it up with the school

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughestSportEver View Post
I got a suggestion!!! How about we get rid of the IKWF state series .?.?
We can just allow all of the IKWF kids (5th grade and up) to wrestle for a school in the IESA ?

Oh wait two problems with that.
1). A great majority of the schools don't offer wrestling.
2). Where possibly could the kids that normally wrestle for an IKWF club (and actually become good wrestlers) "run to" in order to get away from the kids they can't beat in the IKWF state series???

Time to create something else for some of these kids to run to. Darn it! The plan sounded so good.

Let's face it, whether you IESA guys like it or not, that is what is going on. Countless brackets in the IESA that are this very situation. I see the kids in there. If you say I am wrong on this .... then your just lying to yourself. I know the truth hurts.
Kudos to Collin Altensey for picking the IKWF state series. Knows it will be a 100 times harder path, but wants the challenge. I don't know the kid at all, but I'll be rooting for him b/c of that very reason (wants the challenge).
The answer to your first problem would be to work to have the school your child attends offer wrestling as an extra curricular sport. I find it weird that they would not offer a sport that has an IESA state series and is also a high school sport. They could then practice after school and also go to a club practice later if they can afford it or are really into wrestling. Also, I don't believe that Altensy won a state title in IESA so if he gets one in IKWF it probably hurts your theory that all the studs are in IKWF.
__________________
Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-05-2019
eazymoney's Avatar
eazymoney eazymoney is offline
eazymoney
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 306
Fun Fact

At the Jacksonville AA IESA sectional not one kid weighed in and made it to state. Also, not one kid had to only win one match to get to state. Nor will there be any kids who didn't win a match at regionals or sectionals going to the state tournament. Not sure you can say the same at any IKWF sectional.
__________________
Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-05-2019
Junior Junior is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVN-74 View Post
If the IKWF would change the dates of their state series to not coincide with the IESA State series they would have more kids competing in the IKWF series trying to win 2 state titles. Some of these middle schools tell their kids if you wrestle for the middle school you have to wrestle IESA series. And the IKWF needs to make their series double elimination. Follow the leader is terrible. My 2 cents.
Maybe the IESA should move their dates.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-05-2019
Junior Junior is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazymoney View Post
At the Jacksonville AA IESA sectional not one kid weighed in and made it to state. Also, not one kid had to only win one match to get to state. Nor will there be any kids who didn't win a match at regionals or sectionals going to the state tournament. Not sure you can say the same at any IKWF sectional.
The IESA works because it is convenient for parents.There are good wrestlers in the IESA but the talent pool is not even close to the IKWF. Tell me the last time the Top Dwangs beat an IKWF Gold team in Danville. All that being said, if the IKWF doesn’t wake up and make changes on their kids and parents behalf they are dead in the water. Then some sectional directors will have to find another way to line their pockets.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-05-2019
lookleft goright lookleft goright is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 743
The commitment at the IESA level is not nearly as hugh as it is at the IKWF level. But the kids who start wrestling as a 5th, 6th, or even 7th grader and fall in love with the sport join clubs and improve. We are in Bloomington and we will have between 30-50 kids on the jr high program most years (this year was lower numbers) and maybe if we are lucky, we get 7 - 8 a year wrestling in high school. A lot of the kids who wrestle in junior high at IESA start as an 8th grader just because they want to try it. It makes a lot of IKWF parents feel good about themselves to brag about how tough the IKWF is and it is a very impressive organization. But there is no need to get all snooty because kids decide in junior high to give wrestling a try. What harm can come from it? Why is is necessary for some people to tear down another person to feel good about themselves?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-05-2019
Truth is Out There's Avatar
Truth is Out There Truth is Out There is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
The IESA works because it is convenient for parents.
Agreed. However, the IESA doesn't work because the average level of coaching acumen is far below what's needed to create the level of IHSA excellence we've seen in recent years (and declining every day).

Quote:
There are good wrestlers in the IESA but the talent pool is not even close to the IKWF.
Agreed. The kids who want to be serious about the sport eventually find their way to the IKWF or they generally fall short of any lofty expectations.

Quote:
Tell me the last time the Top Dwangs beat an IKWF Gold team in Danville.
They haven't. And they probably never will. Even with the vast falloff in talent in the IKWF this year and projecting forward.

Quote:
All that being said, if the IKWF doesn’t wake up and make changes on their kids and parents behalf they are dead in the water.
AGREED. They are their own worst enemy right about now. Keep making boutique rules to accommodate some snap, reactionary judgment. Only thing worse are the rules to protect the revenue streams.

Quote:
Then some sectional directors will have to find another way to line their pockets
The 800 lb. gorilla has been spotted. I am continually sickened by the actual shakedowns which take place each year. No one wants to talk about it. For fear of consequences. Just a reminder: we all know. And if you don't know, you better ask somebody...
__________________
"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-05-2019
DNA DNA is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazymoney View Post
The answer to your first problem would be to work to have the school your child attends offer wrestling as an extra curricular sport. I find it weird that they would not offer a sport that has an IESA state series and is also a high school sport. They could then practice after school and also go to a club practice later if they can afford it or are really into wrestling. Also, I don't believe that Altensy won a state title in IESA so if he gets one in IKWF it probably hurts your theory that all the studs are in IKWF.
Confused: If Altensy wins IKWF, then isnt he an IWKF wrestler? Wrestling for Moline club? Theory substantiated no matter what.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-05-2019
youthwrestler youthwrestler is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 24
Guessing the neither the kid nor his family care what either of you think about him being in IK or IE. I do know 89 is pretty stacked, will be fun to watch.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.