Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 08-22-2011
Varsity

NWCA/Cliff Keen National Duals

This year's NWCA/Cliff Keen National Duals will be held at the Capital Convention Center in Springfield, IL. Brian Oaks, son of former U of I wrestler and long-time Springfield HS wrestling coach, is the GM of the Convention Center and was very instrumental in bringing the event to Springfield.

Below is a link to an announcement regarding the event:

http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcawebsit...nal_Duals.aspx
Old 08-22-2011
COE COLLEGE KOHAWKS

It needs to be said that it is no longer officially called the NWCA National Duals but the 2012 Multi-Divisional National Duals hosted by the National Wrestling Advancement Association, not the NWCA. There will not be any, no, not even one, Dl team there. They deemed it necessary to split off and have their very own "National Dual" tournament seemingly not caring whether or not it is the "beginning of the end" for the other divisions and the National Duals. It was an incredible atmosphere, Dl was a huge contributor to attendance, it was held at a college that had a wrestling team. I hope the new format is successful, but I have my doubts. ANd yes, I did express my opinion to the proper people as did many, many others.
Old 08-22-2011
Olympian

The venue itself is in desperate need of renovation. As much as I like having an event such as this in our state, if they can't renovate parts of the facility we run the serious risk of disappointing many and embarrassing our wrestling community.

I find it unfathomable that a venue that makes so much money on concerts, sporting events, community events, etc. can't take some of the revenue and invest in providing adequate restrooms for starters. When the IKWF Kids open was held their this past winter, the restrooms were about as foul and dirty and broken down as I've seen in any facility of that size. It doesn't have to be state of the art, but you might start with facilities that are actually clean an usable.
Old 08-22-2011
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
The venue itself is in desperate need of renovation. As much as I like having an event such as this in our state, if they can't renovate parts of the facility we run the serious risk of disappointing many and embarrassing our wrestling community.

I find it unfathomable that a venue that makes so much money on concerts, sporting events, community events, etc. can't take some of the revenue and invest in providing adequate restrooms for starters. When the IKWF Kids open was held their this past winter, the restrooms were about as foul and dirty and broken down as I've seen in any facility of that size. It doesn't have to be state of the art, but you might start with facilities that are actually clean an usable.
Then it will be moved after one year. The college coaches won't stand for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdfan View Post
It needs to be said that it is no longer officially called the NWCA National Duals but the 2012 Multi-Divisional National Duals hosted by the National Wrestling Advancement Association, not the NWCA. There will not be any, no, not even one, Dl team there. They deemed it necessary to split off and have their very own "National Dual" tournament seemingly not caring whether or not it is the "beginning of the end" for the other divisions and the National Duals. It was an incredible atmosphere, Dl was a huge contributor to attendance, it was held at a college that had a wrestling team. I hope the new format is successful, but I have my doubts. ANd yes, I did express my opinion to the proper people as did many, many others.
Well said...
Old 08-22-2011
Official's Forum

They just received TIF District funding for a multi million dollar renovation. I'm not sure if it will be done in time for the Duals but at least they are going to try to better the facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post

"I'll tell you this, in any fight, its the guy who's willing to die who's gonna win that inch. And I know if I'm going to have any life anymore, its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch. Because thats what livin' is!"
Old 08-23-2011
Varsity

I've never been to the Capital Convention Center, so I'll take your word for how bad it was during the IKWF Open --- but I'd be very surprised that the staff there would let that happen during an event on this level.

I would much rather have watched the Div I duals also --- but am glad I can drive a short distance to see some good college wrestling. Several past IHSA stars will be wrestling --- and I'm a fan of JUCO as there are usually a handful of wrestlers at that level each year who go on and become good wrestlers at the D-I level as well.
Old 08-23-2011
Duke Burk

I think the Division I portion of the tournament was changed to the format it is to make more money. Each of the 4 different region dual portions will have a large amount of people present, especially in Ames, which will have all the Iowa and Iowa State fans present. And I have a feeling the Final 4 will be put in a spot where the place will be packed as well. I think the revenue for the event will go up for the Division I portion.
Old 08-23-2011
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercoach View Post
I've never been to the Capital Convention Center, so I'll take your word for how bad it was during the IKWF Open --- but I'd be very surprised that the staff there would let that happen during an event on this level.

I would much rather have watched the Div I duals also --- but am glad I can drive a short distance to see some good college wrestling. Several past IHSA stars will be wrestling --- and I'm a fan of JUCO as there are usually a handful of wrestlers at that level each year who go on and become good wrestlers at the D-I level as well.
If you have never been to the Duals you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality and level of wrestling, especially at the DII level. It will be a smorgasbord of wrestling for the junkie. This will not be some crap little tournament. In fact last year if you go back to my interview with Dan Gable, he pointed out how the DII and DIII was more competitive than DI. Of course no Iowa had a lot to do with that but none the less these teams will get after each other.

I will be there watching my son coach in his first Duals after winning three national dual titles. Lot's of fun. Prepare to stay all day.

Last edited by MR TWISTER; 08-23-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-23-2011
Olympian

Excited

I'm totally excited and greatful I get to go see that quality of wrestling very close, and then back to St.Louis for the NCAA Championships. Making it easy on me. Who knows, might even go watch the Big ten Championships.
Old 08-23-2011
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone74 View Post
I think the Division I portion of the tournament was changed to the format it is to make more money. Each of the 4 different region dual portions will have a large amount of people present, especially in Ames, which will have all the Iowa and Iowa State fans present. And I have a feeling the Final 4 will be put in a spot where the place will be packed as well. I think the revenue for the event will go up for the Division I portion.
Yes you pretty much got it. The event always drew but I think the DI coaches liked the regional idea better than traveling and possibly going 2 and out. Teams that make the final four won't mind the expenses because there will be a realistic chance to win.