Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-11-2019
Varsity

If I understand it correctly, the court didn't consider the disqualification or the states authority to suspend. The court case revolved around whether or not the kid could serve his suspension by sitting out a (hastily organized) JV meet between the conference tournament and the regional.

Apparently, the state body allows a JV wrestler to sit out a varsity match to be eligible for another JV match but doesn't say anything about varsity kids sitting out a JV match (when they were "demoted" to JV as punishment) being eligible for the next varsity match.

Here's the end of the match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw0wH6IFQTQ

The action starts with 0:20 remaining when the kid yells at the referee after false starting on top.
Old 02-11-2019
Varsity

Cool

At around 2:45 on that video I think there could have been a reversal awarded. Green was behind both arms and had legs thrown in, but was well on his hip. Red then started elevated the right leg basically trying to regain control. When the match ended I can see how the 1 point for "loss of control". Why would you say anything to the ref for a point that ended the match in a 7-2 victory in your favor is beyond me.

I found it interesting how the ref sitting in front of the camera not officiating the match almost kicked out the spectator for yelling "what the hell was that?!"

Personally I don't think the flex at the end of the match warranted a second unsportsmanlike conduct call. Seemed like a "I'll show you, you little punk" call.

Respect My Authoritaahh!
Old 02-12-2019
Olympian

Another thread gone to crap.

I think there’s a tournament that starts Thursday. Maybe we could talk about that?
Old 02-12-2019
5 point takedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdad View Post
Another thread gone to crap.

I think there’s a tournament that starts Thursday. Maybe we could talk about that?
Well, at least we have posts to read. LOL

I'm interested in what you and TIOT have to say about the "losing on purpose" thread. A lot of everyday posters seem to be avoiding the topic.
Old 02-12-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencoe View Post
Well, at least we have posts to read. LOL

I'm interested in what you and TIOT have to say about the "losing on purpose" thread. A lot of everyday posters seem to be avoiding the topic.
I have no problem with it whatsoever.

Sectionals isn't seeded. That drives this whole problem. You have a problem with what you're seeing? Remove the cause, not the symptoms.

Same like with holdbacks, everyone's else's favorite topic du jour. If you don't want 15 or 16 year old freshmen then change the rules which allow for it. Soon, you'll find out you really CAN'T and all the bleating is for nothing.

Nobody can force you to wrestle a match. You want to injury default and take your chances that way, go get 'em tiger.

Is it the manly, tough thing to do? Nope. Just the smart thing.

Too much of the former, not enough of the latter.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 02-12-2019
Varsity

The thread is about a Match and refs judgements.

Did anyone even watch the video of end of the match that started this thread?
Do you think the 1 or for loss of control at the end was a fair call?
What do you feel about kids that argue with calls from refs?
How much celebration do you feel wrestlers should be allowed to disay? Flex? Backflip? Riverdance?
Old 02-12-2019
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJD View Post
How much celebration do you feel wrestlers should be allowed to disay? Flex? Backflip? Riverdance?
Ref had a beef but the kid is doing himself no favors. According to a couple WI guys this is the kids MO and the apple didn't fall far from the tree. That was dad that was almost ejected and supposedly the parents mf'd the refs at the tail of all of that. Again repeating that though most of us see no harm in the flex at the end, the kid has to know better especially after the 1st UC and the fact that he was hit for a costly UC for flexing last season. He used to be on the team he flexed on and cost them a chance at team finals last year with a UC for flexing.

1st UC ok we get it ref and you showed him. 2nd UC....

16 yr old immaturity that almost cost him dearly. I'm glad that it seems they are figuring out a way to let him wrestle and hopefully he learns his lesson.

I pretty much don't care how a kid celebrates as long as its not to taunt. Wrestling is tough and emotional. Allow (especially kids) for a release without being grumpy old farts.

Last edited by PapaBearSLIM; 02-12-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJD View Post
I had to rewatch it a few times. Wasn't sure why that 1 got called initially.

The kid didn't appear to argue anything with the ref. He certainly wasn't demonstrative about it. And even more certainly to the point he should've been penalized. Again, mu opinion based on limited input. Audio. Not being there.

Celebrations? Let's say I'm kmore a fan of Brent Metcalf than I am of Darrion Caldwell.

That being said, that jam is out of the jar. I didn't see anything to warrant a call there.

The referee was jobbing the kid. And that makes me sad.

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 02-12-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
Ref had a beef but the kid is doing himself no favors. According to a couple WI guys this is the kids MO and the apple didn't fall far from the tree. That was dad that was almost ejected and supposedly the parents mf'd the refs at the tail of all of that. Again repeating that though most of us see no harm in the flex at the end, the kid has to know better especially after the 1st UC and the fact that he was hit for a costly UC for flexing last season. He used to be on the team he flexed on and cost them a chance at team finals last year with a UC for flexing.

1st UC ok we get it ref and you showed him. 2nd UC....

16 yr old immaturity that almost cost him dearly. I'm glad that it seems they are figuring out a way to let him wrestle and hopefully he learns his lesson.
Agree with all points presented.

I'd like to do away with beef-y officiating as much as I would celebrations. That's what I was going on about.

Old 02-12-2019
Varsity

Can someone post the match? I would be interested in seeing it.

Without seeing the match, and reading the posts/message board sounds like the kid/parents crossed the line one too many times and the ref had enough.

Flexing at the end of a match! Worked hard for a victory, do your thing.

Calling someone in a position of authority M'Fer, you have to lay in the bed you made. In this case, Dad/coach don't want to do that.

Overall the kids sound like a piece of work. Good wrestler but has some character issues.

What's the saying be more worried about your character than your reputation..

Could this kid be a 4x state champ in Illinois? Tell Daddy to come back home and wrestle with the big dogs! I personally think Wisconsin is not very strong in general.

Headlock!
Sponsored Links