Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Freestyle / Greco-Roman

Old 09-25-2019
Olympian

IMAR Talk

We will be in for a treat next year during the Olympic Trials. In this thread, I want to focus on IMAR, but I expect to add threads about Richards, Nowry and Coleman in the future.

BURROUGHS WITH THE BYE

From what I understand, there will be a tournament on the first day, and then the winner of that tournament will face Jordan Burroughs the next day in a best-out-of-three format for the chance to go to the Olympics. By virtue of medaling in the previous World Championships, Burroughs earned that bye.

If I said that the bye was a bad idea, I'd be lying and hypocritical. I think it is a good idea. In the future, it is my belief that IMAR will win the benefit of those byes.

DAKE STATUS

Everybody seems to think that Kyle Dake is sure to go 74kgs in the trials. I'm not so sure. If I were him, I'd first wait to see what J'den Cox is doing. That situation is complicated by the presence of Sadulaev and the possibility that Snyder might go heavyweight.

If Cox goes 97kg, then what would you do if you were Kyle Dake?

You can try to beat Burroughs, who you have only beaten once, or you can try to beat David Taylor, who you've never lost to. One path means full feed and as much weight lifting as you can do, while the other means starvation, hitting the sauna and lots of running.

If I were Dake, I would call up J'den and ask him point blank: "Which weight are you going?"

THE BRACKET

If Dake is going 74kg, then it is my understanding that he'll get a bye to the bottom semi-finals of the bracket. IMAR would almost certainly be the #1 seed at the top of the bracket. This is what that might look like:

This is my best guess at seeding with Dake in the mix. Lewis and Carr will most likely be ahead of Marinelli and Joseph because of their recent World Championship medals. I also think that the USAW gives a lot of credit to those wrestlers who have wrestled in USAW or foreign events. In other words, if you are on the ladder, it will take somebody to knock you down a rung or two.

There are obviously a lot of questions and a lot of time before the Trials start. Where does Snyder go? Is he too small for heavyweight? Where do Cox and Dake go? How will they seed this group? Will my dream of owning a Lego home ever be realized? Stay tuned....

GO IMAR/IRTC!!!

Last edited by ChiefIllini1; 09-25-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2019
Olympian

There's a tweet from Flo indicating that Dake has decided to go 74kg. That means he would likely have to face the winner of Nolf-Lewis before facing IMAR.

I see the 2 and 3 seeds being Nolf and Mekhi Lewis because of where the former placed at the last WTTs, and because the latter won a a very recent junior gold. There could be arguments made for James Green getting one of those seeds and not the #4 seed. Green has won senior world-level medals.

GO IMAR/IRTC!!!
Old 09-28-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
There's a tweet from Flo indicating that Dake has decided to go 74kg. That means he would likely have to face the winner of Nolf-Lewis before facing IMAR.

I see the 2 and 3 seeds being Nolf and Mekhi Lewis because of where the former placed at the last WTTs, and because the latter won a a very recent junior gold. There could be arguments made for James Green getting one of those seeds and not the #4 seed. Green has won senior world-level medals.

GO IMAR/IRTC!!!
Bill Farrell Nov 16 and Open Dec 20-22 will determine the seeds since most guys still need to qualify for the trials
Old 09-28-2019
Varsity

Quote:

GO IMAR/IRTC!!!
Man, that is going to be an absolutely killer weight class. Unfortunately for I-mar, I don't see him winning that class over either Burroughs or, more likely, Dake for the next few years. Dake is one of the best wrestlers in the world right now.
Old 09-28-2019
Varsity

He should go up to 86kg and try to beat Cox. I wonder how effective his underhooks would be in the face of all that Cox sweat. This is assuming we see a smaller Cox for the Olympic trials.
Old 09-28-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
Man, that is going to be an absolutely killer weight class. Unfortunately for I-mar, I don't see him winning that class over either Burroughs or, more likely, Dake for the next few years. Dake is one of the best wrestlers in the world right now.

Dake won a nonolympic weight twice by beating one good wrestler, is constantly injured, will have to lose weight and lay off those "protein shakes," is 28+ years young, will not have the crowd in his favor, and he'll likely have to wrestle Nolf or Lewis, while IMAR gets a much easier match.

Dake will be lucky to score a point.

GO IMAR/IRTC!!!
Old 09-29-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Dake won a nonolympic weight twice by beating one good wrestler, is constantly injured, will have to lose weight and lay off those "protein shakes," is 28+ years young, will not have the crowd in his favor, and he'll likely have to wrestle Nolf or Lewis, while IMAR gets a much easier match.

Dake will be lucky to score a point.

GO IMAR/IRTC!!!
Joseph and Nolf have to wrestle, after being on the same team. That is a rough draw. Why would Snyder be too small if he won at that size already?
Old 09-29-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrossNoises View Post
He should go up to 86kg and try to beat Cox. I wonder how effective his underhooks would be in the face of all that Cox sweat. This is assuming we see a smaller Cox for the Olympic trials.
The Cox I know will always rise to the occasion.
Old 09-29-2019
Varsity

Beating Cox is hard.
Old 09-29-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
Joseph and Nolf have to wrestle, after being on the same team. That is a rough draw. Why would Snyder be too small if he won at that size already?

I saw a picture of Snyder standing next to Turkey's Akghul when they trained together in Columbus. The size disparity was shocking. I think Snyder will be able to--and might have to--transition to heavyweight eventually. He's just way too small now.

Glad you caught the Nolf - Joseph matchup. Haha! The guys like Marinelli, Joseph and Wick who wrestle their college season will have a tough time getting a good seed much less going deep into the Olympic Trials competition.

GO IMAR/IRTC!!!
Sponsored Links