Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 12-24-2005
Olympian

The Burk Blog 12/23

Well Christmas break, for me, is coming to a close as the holidays arrive. On Monday we go back to NIU to get some workouts in with the team before we head to Midlands. This is a big tourney for us as a team, and for me especially after having some tough losses lately. I've had a good week of practice since I have been home (it helps having Duke around....) so I feel as if I am going to be as prepared as possible going into next week.

Against Indiana, we just didn't get things done, plain and simple. We lost two OT matches, mine included, and caught some tough breaks along the way. I didn't think I wrestled well at all, personally. I just wasn't moving enough and wasn't forcing the issue as much as I should have. It seemed as if everything I have been working on, I forgot about during that match. But, you live, and learn. I try not to dwell on what happens in the past.....I just try as best as I can to use it to motivate me and get me going again. And, like I said, this week I have been going twice a day and getting a lot of work in on the things I need to focus on in order to get better.

Today Duke and I were able to get up to the Dvorak Tourney and watch some good wrestling. It was a very good tournament, as usual, and it was interesting to see some of the best in the state compete against one another away from the state meet. The kids seemed to be more loose than they would be in Champaign. The Jr class of this year is pretty exciting to watch. White, Benefiel and Starzyk, just to name a few, are all kids that will be very successful in the future if they continue to work hard and listen to the right people.

Anyway, I have to get to bed so I can wake up and get a workout in before I finish my Christmas Shopping! I will check back in next week after Midlands. I really enjoy competing in this tournement because of the prestige and history behind it. It gives us a good look at the competition that we will face in March. For example, I think my weight class had 10 out of the top 20 guys. So, that's a pretty fair assessment for the most part. I look forward to going in and competing hard and having a good time (especially after having a sub-par performance there last yr!!).

Thanks again for reading and have a wonderful Holiday. This is the time of year where I really feel blessed with the things I have been given in my life. Even though everyday I wake up, I thank God for all He has given me, this time of year really brings it out even more. Just being able to spend time with the family and those that love me.....it's really a wonderful thing. So, have a great Christmas, and don't take the things you have in life for granted.....You never know when they will be gone. This year is special for me even more because now I have a neice to complement my wonderful nephew, and I really feel blessed that God has given me so much in my life.

-Danny-

Shout out: This one HAS to go to ADMIN....the dude just doesn't know how to drive. But all in all, he's a solid brother-in-law and is a great supporter for me and Duke......

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me....."

Last edited by admin; 12-24-2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-24-2005
Owner/Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPBwrestle1
Shout out: This one HAS to go to ADMIN....the dude just doesn't know how to drive. But all in all, he's a solid brother-in-law and is a great supporter for me and Duke......
Ha Ha! Thanks for the shout out Danny. I'll admit I missed the I-39 exit, but you missed it too because you were snoring in the front seat. You have to admit that I made pretty good time once I got back on track. It was quite a trip!