Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 12-27-2018
Olympian

General Wrestling Discussion

New Jersey. I never did like referees. When I was wrestling, I would always say to them, "No, you're stalling," but I could never penalize the ref a point. They always had the last laugh. So, how about this:

The latest is that the ref was late to the match and did not attend the weigh ins. Back in my day, they didn't have skin checks, but they would check for hair and nails at the weigh in. The ref should have been there, as that was the time to check for any hair issues. Also, late breaking news that that particular ref will no longer be working matches for that organization.

I actually do appreciate all the hard-working refs who take a lot of guff for a small paycheck and a love of the sport. But, if you're gonna be a hard *** about the rules, then you better be on time for work!

Madison, Wisconsin. Our second story involves the Wisconsin Badger wrestling team. They are getting into the Midlands spirit--which is a good thing--by posting a picture of the team and hustling some fan support. I've posted a smaller version of their photo below. The first thing I noticed about it was the one color that stands out and screams at you:

Have you ever seen so much red in your life? And bright red, too! It's like, could you not find any other color to put in your team picture? I've been across this great country of ours, my friends, and I've seen greens and blues in California and yellows and pinks in New York, as well as Orange and Blue in ILLINOIS, but the Badgers' photo shouts out one color only. Well, except there's some white in there too.
Old 12-27-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
New Jersey. I never did like referees. When I was wrestling, I would always say to them, "No, you're stalling," but I could never penalize the ref a point. They always had the last laugh. So, how about this:

The latest is that the ref was late to the match and did not attend the weigh ins. Back in my day, they didn't have skin checks, but they would check for hair and nails at the weigh in. The ref should have been there, as that was the time to check for any hair issues. Also, late breaking news that that particular ref will no longer be working matches for that organization.

I actually do appreciate all the hard-working refs who take a lot of guff for a small paycheck and a love of the sport. But, if you're gonna be a hard *** about the rules, then you better be on time for work!

Madison, Wisconsin. Our second story involves the Wisconsin Badger wrestling team. They are getting into the Midlands spirit--which is a good thing--by posting a picture of the team and hustling some fan support. I've posted a smaller version of their photo below. The first thing I noticed about it was the one color that stands out and screams at you:

Have you ever seen so much red in your life? And bright red, too! It's like, could you not find any other color to put in your team picture? I've been across this great country of ours, my friends, and I've seen greens and blues in California and yellows and pinks in New York, as well as Orange and Blue in ILLINOIS, but the Badgers' photo shouts out one color only. Well, except there's some white in there too.
Chief
Let's turn our attention to a positive note about wrestling for once. Let's end the year with great news. This Friday and Saturday in the Land of Lincoln, the largest high.school wrestling tournament in the country will take place: ABE'S RUMBLE. 55 teams will compete in a dual team tournament. That's right, 55 of the top Class A teams in Illinois. Hats off to POTRA Coach Jeff Hill and Auburn Coach Matt Grimm for putting this together and promoting wrestling. Wouldn't we all love to see 55 of the best 3A teams do the same? Probably never happen.
Old 12-27-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Campbell View Post
Chief
Let's turn our attention to a positive note about wrestling for once. Let's end the year with great news. This Friday and Saturday in the Land of Lincoln, the largest high.school wrestling tournament in the country will take place: ABE'S RUMBLE. 55 teams will compete in a dual team tournament. That's right, 55 of the top Class A teams in Illinois. Hats off to POTRA Coach Jeff Hill and Auburn Coach Matt Grimm for putting this together and promoting wrestling. Wouldn't we all love to see 55 of the best 3A teams do the same? Probably never happen.
That's some AWESOME discussion. Cheers!
Old 12-29-2018
Varsity

Send a message via AIM to Chase's Mom
Go Crusaders!
Old 12-30-2018
Varsity

Division 2

Does anyone know where to find individual regional rankings for division 2 college. Not team or individual for each weight but by regions.
Old 01-10-2019
Olympian

A snapshot in time of wrestlers, a coach and a program doing everything it can to be the best in the world:

Old 01-21-2019
Olympian

Emery Parker has been hitting a ton of super ducks-slide bys this year. He seems to have a number of different variations. One of the variations has a tripping component. My question: Does that technique have a name?

I'd love to link to it, but I don't know how to post a video here. My second question: How do you post a video here?

Parker seems to think he is quick enough to get around you because you're not quick enough to square up. He's right. If he gets his gas tank in order ... Wow! I've noticed him using some state-of-the-art techniques over the last couple of years. He's like a wrestling artist/engineer.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-24-2019
Olympian

Great publicity for the Illinois Regional Training Center (IRTC) and the ILLINI and for Zane and Coach Medlin:

The guy that Zane lost to at the Yariguin (spelled like "Penguin" but with different letters) is this:

Quote:
57 kg: Zane Richards (Champaign, Ill./ Illinois Regional Training Center/Illini WC)
vs. Bekhbayar Erdenebat (Mongolia), 2015 and 2017 Senior World bronze medalist, 2012 Junior World champion, 2015 Ivan Yarygin bronze

He was right there. A last second win for the Mongolian. I know it must feel bad, but people are starting to notice. I just hope that InZane didn't tire the poor feller out too much!
Old 01-25-2019
Olympian

Travis Rice with a Silver at Dave Schultz:

Quote:
In the deciding match in the 63 kg roundrobin, 2018 U.S. Open runner-up Sammy Jones of the New York Athletic Club came from behind to defeat two-time Junior World Team member Travis Rice, in a 3-3 criteria decision. Rice jumped to a 3-0 lead, but Jones had a strong second period to score his three points and secure the win.
The IRTC keeps working their way up.

GO IRTC!!!
Old 01-25-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Great publicity for the Illinois Regional Training Center (IRTC) and the ILLINI and for Zane and Coach Medlin:

The guy that Zane lost to at the Yariguin (spelled like "Penguin" but with different letters) is this:

He was right there. A last second win for the Mongolian. I know it must feel bad, but people are starting to notice. I just hope that InZane didn't tire the poor feller out too much!
I love the fact that both Zane and I-mar decided to stay home to train. This is great for the Illini, and I hope it will only help them to get even more elite recruits going forward.
Sponsored Links