Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 09-28-2005
Olympian

The Burk Blog 9/28

Our preseason came to a conclusion this week, and we have a couple days off before regular practice starts Monday. We seemed to have a good couple weeks of preaseason preparation, and I think everyone is eager to get into normal practice and kick the season off.

Other than working out and school, I dont do a whole lot. The weekends are a good time for me to relax and watch football and rest my body. I'm not a real social bug, so I pretty much keep to myself and my roommates for the most part. I just dont like to be out in the college social scene....that's never really been my thing I guess. On weekends where I dont have anything to do school wise and our schedule permits it, I try to get home to Peoria as much as I can. My family is extremely important to me, and it is always a great relief to be around them and in the comfort of my home. My dad coaches football, too, so I like to be there to support him and his team. And also, I have a lil nephew who we are trying to mold into a wrestler so I like to be with him as much as I can.

That's enough about me for this week....I would like to take this time to introduce our coaching staff, which to me is one of the best in the country. Our head coach is Dave Grant, who has been here for 8-9 yrs I think. He does a really great job. His style fits me perfectly, and I think he does a tremendous job of preparing us for the end of the season, while also getting us ready for meets every week. Another old face in the program is Scott Owen, an assistant coach. Scott is the wrestler who put our program on the map, and it is great to still have him around. For those of you who don't know him, he's a student of the sport, and is one of the best wrestlers I have ever seen.

Besides those two, we have two new assistant coaches. Ryan Ludwig came to NIU after coaching at MSU-Mankato. He was a three time All American at Findley (Ohio). He is a super guy and is great to have around. He does a lot in the office and has a lot to teach us about techniques and how to wrestle. I think he fits into this program perfectly. Also, he is BY FAR the strongest man in the world.

Our other new assistant is Dennis Papadatos. He wrestled for Hofstra and was a three time NCAA qualifier. Honestly, he's porbably one of the best wrestlers to never All American. He is very personable but knows how to push us. His style is different from what most of us are used to, but it is really nice to have a different look in the room, and something new to learn and build off of.

All of our coaches do a great job. They are all real straight forward and know what it takes to get to the top level of this sport. Besides all that, they all work extremely hard, and are all great people who care about us.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce our coaches so you guys know who I'm talking about if I ever refer to them throughout this 'diary'. Thanks for reading again, and Ill get back in a few days and let you guys know whats new.

Again, send me feedback of any kind. It's great to hear from you guys. Thanks again, and have a good day.

- Danny -

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Last edited by admin; 09-28-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links