Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 12-31-2018
Junior Varsity

Naperville validated everything I said previously.

250 kids at novice. 10 TOTAL kids between 135-186 and ZERO kids over 186 yet we have a Novice 177 AND 215 for state - that's 48 spots to fill and one of the biggest tournies of the year had TWO kids over 156.

At Senior, 8 kids between 69-75, several of which are studs but no Senior 70 class for them.

This needs to be addressed and the solution is super easy:

Add a 70 senior... done

Eliminate 177 and 215 Novice and make a 156.1+ bracket. You might be able to get it half filled and keep some integrity behind the bracket board. There is ZERO chance of filling in 48 kids between the 2 weights.

This doesn't address the Tot sh*t show the changes created and it doesn't address the pre-pubecent 12 year old 125 pounds going against the 14 year old that shaves but it does save the integrity of the state tourney.
Old 12-31-2018
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfat145 View Post
Naperville validated everything I said previously.

250 kids at novice. 10 TOTAL kids between 135-186 and ZERO kids over 186 yet we have a Novice 177 AND 215 for state - that's 48 spots to fill and one of the biggest tournies of the year had TWO kids over 156.

At Senior, 8 kids between 69-75, several of which are studs but no Senior 70 class for them.

This needs to be addressed and the solution is super easy:

Add a 70 senior... done

Eliminate 177 and 215 Novice and make a 156.1+ bracket. You might be able to get it half filled and keep some integrity behind the bracket board. There is ZERO chance of filling in 48 kids between the 2 weights.

This doesn't address the Tot sh*t show the changes created and it doesn't address the pre-pubecent 12 year old 125 pounds going against the 14 year old that shaves but it does save the integrity of the state tourney.
Was a fan of senior 70 and believe it makes more sense to have it now more than ever.
Old 12-31-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapple20 View Post
When your kids are older you'll understand why the current format is stupid.
When my kids are older? I realized day i 1st heard of changes in divisions and birthday cutoff, i was against it for numerous reasons. Im not on ik board but only speculating this was a trial. I hope next year they change it back to what IL and usaw divisions and age cutoffs always were. Heck id like it to go back this year before state series... actually immediately but dont think ik could do that. If they could, id say do it and let 10yr olds still attempt to qualify for state since planned on anyways.

Theres potential to have a brackets of 1 this year. I dont believe in participation trophies so i sure wouldnt want to see any kid, even my own, crowned state champ in a bracket of 1. Thats equivalent to being smartest kid in school in a class of 2 lol.

Il say what i said from day 1. The new rules are flawed and hurts every division including seniors. I hope the best for everyone all year but its hard watching some of these matches and wonder what state will look like. Im sure it will be fine for most part but it shouldnt just be fine, should be great.

Think biggest issues at state will be overall numbers, bracket sizes, disparities in age, and number of kids who elect to go iesa for this year.i hope im wrong on all these.

As always good luck to everyone except the kids who keep beating mine hahaha. Just kidding, good luck to all
Old 12-31-2018
Varsity

At rockford tourney, spoke w/ a hononegah family. Great people. They mentioned how discouraging it is for their kid to be in an age division he would not have otherwise been in if not for new ages. I told them i 100% agreed. Their kid has so much heart and i admire that. Only difference in their kid and my younger is the difference in mat time and number of matches.

I say this because as said on the 100 pages of matmen about new rules, you shouldnt move a kid up a division w/o that year of coaching fundamentals. It leads to a demoralized and unprepared wrestler who may want to quit or leads to 1 year closer to a watered down novice/senior bracket because kids lack the basics.
This isnt a club issue nor a personal issue that hinders or benefits my own kids. Its about the future of the IKWF and number of kids in it.

No need to start the same or new thread bout ages but i agree w/ old fat... that goofy guy lol. Its simple. 8u, 10u, 12u, 14u. No flaw in that. IL kids and coaches pay and have usaw cards, why not stick w/n usaw guidelines.

Not saying state will be a disaster but if it is bad, it will be like going to a restraunt you love n getting food poisoning. You are less likely to be inclined to think highly of it again... all cuz 1 bad experience.
Old 12-31-2018
Junior Varsity

U would have to do Age on Day of Competition is the Division u Compete. It would be the only way to make everybody happy. It will never happen but that's the only way, no cut off date, no grade. If a kids age changes in season his division changes. Or cut would have to be by state series!!. 14yrs in ikwf same arguement,new year, new generation of kids, new parents, same cycle!! #GottaLuvWrestling lol ....
Old 12-31-2018
Junior Varsity

01/01/####

Good enough for USAW, should work just fine here.
Old 12-31-2018
Junior Varsity

Lol !!Good Enough for USAW? Wasn't USA Preseason Nationals a Age on Day of Competition tourny....
Old 12-31-2018
Patriot

instead September 1 or January 1. Why not March 20? Is there a downside to that? Right after the state series. No age changes mid season for anybody. With an 8u, 10u, 12u, 14u format it seems like it would make sense. Then have the current bylaws in relation to holdbacks apply.
Old 12-31-2018
Varsity

My freshman’s bday was 12/27. 1/1 sucked for him. I complained it wasn’t start of season 9/1. My 10 yrd. olds bday is 6/2. 9/1 sucks for him. Still agree 100 percent it should be 9/1. Success doesn’t mean anything till your in highschool. 99 percent of people arguing want to benefit there kid. Still believe it changed because it benefits someone’s kid but I believe it is the right date.
Old 12-31-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook-N-Tilt View Post
My freshman’s bday was 12/27. 1/1 sucked for him. I complained it wasn’t start of season 9/1. My 10 yrd. olds bday is 6/2. 9/1 sucks for him. Still agree 100 percent it should be 9/1. Success doesn’t mean anything till your in highschool. 99 percent of people arguing want to benefit there kid. Still believe it changed because it benefits someone’s kid but I believe it is the right date.
Success matters as a 7th and 8th grader. Historically these are the kids getting it done in high school to. You learn how to win and most importantly you learn how not to lose. The taste of victory never goes away, it just makes you hungrier. In wrestling losing eats away your psychia and winning makes you mentally stronger.
Sponsored Links