Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Freestyle / Greco-Roman

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Just got an email from the IRTC about the Bill Farrell. Buckle up, my friends, we are gonna have some wrestling! Here's that email:

Quote:
This Friday and Saturday the IRTC is back in action in New York. With only Olympic weights competing, this is going to be an exciting tournament.

First up on Friday, Travis Rice, Max Nowry and West Cathcart will take the mat in Greco-Roman. Both Max and Travis are competing in a new weight class for them this year (60KG). Heavyweight West Cathcart looks to build on his 5th place finish from the US Open. He is training full time now in Champaign and is in shape and ready to rock and roll. Isaiah Martinez, Zane Richards and Nick Dardanes hit the mat on Saturday. All three had a great training cycle and are hungry to compete this weekend in this extremely deep tournament. Could we see IMAR/Nolf 6 or Richards/Surriano or Dardanes/Oliver? Who KNOWS! But what we do know is our guys are chomping at the bit to lay it on the line.

The highest placing American in the tournament will be qualified for the Olympic Trials in April. You can watch all of the action on Flowrestling or by clicking the link below.

Isaiah recently got back from Dagestan, Russia where he was silver in the 79kg division in his first competition back. He then competed in a two style match with Junior World Champion Kamal Bey. To say the match was entertaining is not doing it justice - Isaiah won 18-14. If the pace and the scoring in that match is any indication of what is to expect in New York then you better strap in because we are in for some excitement.
I looked at a current list of wrestlers registered for the tournament, and the list is sweet! Some of the people going at 57kg include:

Quote:
Darian Cruz, Seth Gross, Nathan Tomasello (aka "Little Tommy Cello), The King Zane Richards, Nahshon Garrett, Edward Klimara, Frank Perrelli, and Nick Suriano.
The cream of the crop at 65kg includes these fellows:

Quote:
Bryce Meredith, Matthew Kolodzik, Jordan Oliver, Jaydin Eierman, Ben Whitford, Frank Molinaro, Evan Henderson, Shelton Mack, The Legendary Nicholas Dardanes, and Joseph McKenna.
The head of the class at 74kg includes these wrestling scholars:

Quote:
Logan Massa, Chance Marsteller, Mekhi Lewis, Nazar Kulchytskyy, The Immortal Isaiah Martinez, Thomas Gantt, and Jason Nolf.
The Open will be streamed by Flo. Greco starts on Friday, Freestyle on Saturday. The top American placer gets a golden ticket into the Olympic Trials. Donations to the IRTC can be made here, my friends!

GO IRTC!!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Got the top four seeds right at Bill Farrell: IMAR, Nolf, M. Lewis, and Gantt. IMAR won his first match. Could see Nazar Kultchyskyy in the semis.

Zane has already had a tough opponent in Frank Perrelli. According to Flo Arena, Zane smoked him. If Zane gets on a roll....

GO IRTC!!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Olympian

CORRECTION: IMAR had Nazar in the quarters and won 12-5. He has Tommy Gantt in the semis, then the winner of Nolf/Joseph.

Zane is on a roll. He just beat Nashon Garrett in the quarters. He's got Little Tommy Cello in the semis, then the winner of Gross/Cruz.

GO IRTC!!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Zane was up 5-2 in the second period bit Little Tommy Cello came back for the 8-6 win. He keeps getting better. He could surprise at the Trials. When was the last time an ILLINOUS kid with a LeBron beard stormed onto an Olympic team at 57kg?

IMAR was beating Gantt 8-0 with about a minute to go and ended up winning 8-7. Don't know how Gantt scored 7 points. IMAR will have Nolf in the finals. He beat Joseph 6-0, but reports are that Nolf hurt his knee in that match.

GO IRTC!!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Olympian

P.S. Max Nowry wrestled up at 60kg yesterday and still made it to the finals. He lost to Mango, but I'm thinking those two will see each other again at the Trials.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Olympian

IMAR wins a Golden Ticket to the Olympic Trials. Nothing was gonna stop him!

GO IMAR/IRTC!!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Olympian

The finals and semi-final videos from Bill Farrell have been posted to youtube. IMAR ended up winning the Outstanding Wrestler award. A lot of that probably had to do with his tech of Jason Nolf in the finals. Nolf was hobbled, IMAR admitted that, but IMAR had had a bad day as well.

And a bad night.

In the interview after he won the Farrell, IMAR talked about having a rough go with dehydration before the tournament, missing all but 35 minutes of sleep the night before he had to wrestle. Additionally, his shoulder was tweaked during the last few seconds of his semi match with Tommy Gantt.

IMAR with 35 minutes of sleep is a world class wrestler!

I think the OW award had a lot to do with the moves that IMAR used during his match with Nolf. He went from a whizzer position almost off the whistle to a body lock and exposure. Then, later in the match, IMAR hit a head-pinch roll through for four more. Two 4-point moves gives you the kind of pizzazz that OW voters look for.

Here's the semi-final match against Gantt, who is a warrior. Down 8-0 with 1:17 left to go, the ILLINOIS kid kept coming, scored a takedown and used a bent-leg turk to expose IMAR twice.

In the interview linked above, IMAR acknowledges the need to work on his par terre defense. I think a less-exhausted IMAR doesn't allow the takedown in the first place, but the fight he showed at the end of the Gantt match showed you how much he wanted it, ready to sacrifice his shoulder if necessary.

Here's the finals with Nolf.

-------------------------

Noted some love for Zane Richards on themat.com. I keep saying, he just needs to be hot once!

No Jesse Delgado, who I would've liked to have seen.

No Emery Parker, who I would've liked to have seen. I really think that Emery could qualify for the trials. Nathan Jackson got third in this tournament, and last year, Parker had moved past him. Could Parker beat Myles Martin or Pat Downey or Nick Heflin or David Taylor? Don't know until you try!

GO IRTC!!!
Sponsored Links