Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 2A

Old 01-27-2007
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TWISTER View Post
Tell me more about this program. This seems interesting to me.

Where is the championship at and how many kids will be participating?

When these kids leave this program where are most of them going to high school?

Is Jerome Ward the best to ever be produced by these programs?

How can this site help the Chicago Park District in their effort to get kids to come out?
The program I am involved with is in Hyde Park. We had 7 wrestlers in the program this year, 5 will be wrestling in the city championships.

The championship is at Curie High School.

It is only a guess but I would say that most of the kids will be at a CPS high school.

I haven't been around long enough to know who is the best from these programs.

Any support we can get from this site is appreciated. These programs need everything from equipment (mats, singlets, shoes, etc.) and coaches. I am the only coach in my program.
Old 01-28-2007
Junior Varsity

Talking City Tournament was a huge success--Von Coach were you there?

Congratulations to the CPS and the Chicago Public Schools Coaches Association on running a great tournament at a great place. The Finals were at the south side armory which worked out great. Day one (Friday) was the first two or three rounds and it was held at 4 different sites. This actually got rid off all the weak wresters, you know Orr, Crane, Taft, Von Stuben, Farragut, and the list goes on. They wrestled out to qualify three kids for the Championship. Day two, yesterday, started with quarter finals and they wrestled consolations out to 5th and 6th. It looked like they really had there stuff together. All the coaches I talked to liked what has been going on in the City. Actually, from what I have heard, Micky Pruitt has been doing a great job. They have quality coaches, good programs and good wresters.

Helping city kids... by VonCoach
Good thing your opinion doesn't mean squat to me, otto, whoever you are. And I doubt I'll ever need permission from you to post my opinions. I don't know if you coach city wrestling or what, but you are giving yourself and city coaches a bad rep by bashing me for no reason. I advocate for the kids because they deserve better.

So Von-Stupid Coach, I ask that since you no longer coach in the City, stay off these post unless you have something good to say. They don't need you trashing the City. I am defending the city not bashing it. I bash you because you are a stroke.

Hey Tofurcky- Who is Tom and Gary??? You still have no idea who I am.. I'll give you some more hints. I coach Football, I live by the Zoo, I know all about the Catholic League, I know that the Von-Coach can't win, and I know that you love Lane, Igy and Montini. BY the way, I heard that Lane got their lunch handed to them at the City. 4th place, I wonder what Salted Nuts has to say about that. I heard that several of their wrestlers were hit with unsportsmanlike actions. The 189 pd kid was kicked out of the tournament.. Too bad, no regionals.

Pease and Love

Otto Z-Dog
Old 01-28-2007
Vegetarian wrestling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
Hey Tofurcky- Who is Tom and Gary??? You still have no idea who I am.. I'll give you some more hints. I coach Football, I live by the Zoo, I know all about the Catholic League, I know that the Von-Coach can't win, and I know that you love Lane, Igy and Montini. BY the way, I heard that Lane got their lunch handed to them at the City. 4th place, I wonder what Salted Nuts has to say about that. I heard that several of their wrestlers were hit with unsportsmanlike actions. The 189 pd kid was kicked out of the tournament.. Too bad, no regionals.

Pease and Love

Otto Z-Dog
Oh sad, weak, misinformed little boy, not only have you proven yourself to be a parasite on this board, but you are a liar, too. You know all too well who Gary and Tom are. You talked smack about Gary all over this board last summer, remember? It was great when Tom came on here defending Gary from everything you said. You then tried to show everyone how smart you are by letting our small community here know that you knew that Tom would get the job, remember? That was some incredible insight you had. Again, you came on the day after DeLaSalle was assured that they wouldn't make the playoffs in 2006 and began talking more smack, remember? The funniest thing is that you actually believe that any of this bothers me.

And what you stated is all you know about me. For now, I share an interest in those teams like many other people here. I make no bones about it and I am proud to have been involved with those programs at one point or another. Where do your allegiances lay? Unlike you, I don't hide who I am. Why are you afraid of people knowing who you are? Retaliation for your laughable remarks?

Pathetic little weakling hiding behind your screen name, don't push anymore buttons because more people than just me will make things nice and difficult for you if you do. I already have your personal e-mail and if you'd like me to pass it out, I can do that for you. I could also ask for the admin to do it, too. Her seems to be less tolerant about people like you than I am. You know how vicious people here can be when you go out of your way to be a jerk to others (which is the only thing you've ever done) and then they find out personal information about you. Do you want that before regionals? Would you want your personal information put out here on the net so people can scrutinize you and what little you have accomplished in life? When your testicles drop and you become a man, come back with something bigger than your ignorant comments.

Last edited by Tofurky; 01-28-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-28-2007
former city coach

Let's take it easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post

Congratulations to the CPS and the Chicago Public Schools Coaches Association on running a great tournament at a great place. The Finals were at the south side armory which worked out great. Day one (Friday) was the first two or three rounds and it was held at 4 different sites. This actually got rid off all the weak wresters, you know Orr, Crane, Taft, Von Stuben, Farragut, and the list goes on. They wrestled out to qualify three kids for the Championship. Day two, yesterday, started with quarter finals and they wrestled consolations out to 5th and 6th. It looked like they really had there stuff together. All the coaches I talked to liked what has been going on in the City. Actually, from what I have heard, Micky Pruitt has been doing a great job. They have quality coaches, good programs and good wresters.

So Von-Stupid Coach, I ask that since you no longer coach in the City, stay off these post unless you have something good to say. They don't need you trashing the City. I am defending the city not bashing it. I bash you because you are a stroke.

Pease and Love

Otto Z-Dog

Okay, let's just take it easy. This forum should not be about disclosing personal information, even for those like Otto who want to act this way behind an anonymous name.

Otto, congratulations on the good city tournament. I know you must be riding high having actually run a decent tournament. Too bad everyone else in the state has managed to run tournaments successfully for the last decade. But don't let that diminish your accomplishment. Whoopeee!

If you want to criticize the current group of Von Steuben wrestlers, call their coach Tim Crothers. Since they still aren't whooping up on Carl Sandburg in duals, he must be a loser, too, right. Hard to explain how he managed to be a freestyle state champ, wrestle for Northwestern, NYAC, and place at the world championships. But he can't hold a candle to you, can he Otto? Anyway, feel free to call him to discuss what losers he and his kids are. He's been their coach for two years now.

Finally, let me just say that unlike you, I don't bash the city. I merely point out that city sports administration has been letting these kids down. I'm glad you think city programs have such "good programs" as you call them. But I've personally watched a lot of really great city kids get screwed over. We all know that city wrestling is largely irrelevant come state tournament time. With 50 schools, the city should be able to get more kids downstate each year if the reality was anywhere near your opinion of it.

If you think the solution is wrestling coordinators who have never wrestled before and to make it your "dream" goal to run a city tournament without locking yourself out in the cold or forgetting to order the medals, than, yes, you are doing a disservice to the kids who deserve more. Maybe Von Steuben could've performed a bit better if they didn't have to take public transportation to the city tournament. How about giving these kids a bus to the meet for crying out loud!

I'm sure you'll take what I said and twist it around. So go ahead. Tell Pruitt I'm bashing him. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Pruitt's doing a decent job considering that he's mainly there for football and has never wrestled a day in his life. It's the system that's broken. That's all I ever want to point out. You, on the other hand, want to point out how great city wrestling is doing, right? But we all know the truth and MAJOR changes happen need to happen to give these kids and coaches the opportunities they deserve.

That's not bashing. It's called "honesty" "reality" and "self evaluation." Something you and those in charge of city wrestling would be well served to engage in if you can manage stop high fiving each other over your fantastically run tournament.
Old 01-28-2007

Good Tourney

Yes, all in all the tournament was run well and went smoothly. My picks were pretty accurate, not too difficult with the lack of overall depth. It seemed like the weights were either hit or miss in terms of good kids. Toughest weights were 112 and 160 followed by 152. 189 was also tough. There were some great matches at these weights...
160 Reed/Freeman in the semi's was good. Reed did all the work and was in on multiple shots but Freeman was never warned. Freeman got a takedown at the buzzer off a Reed shot. Then Freeman bet the Lane kid bad in the finals to the OW.
152 had a good finals match between Lanier and Matthews. Lanier rode him the whole the 3rd for a 3-2 win.
112 had two good matches as well. Santiago/Pinex in the semi's had Santiago turn a 5-0 defecit into a 9-6 win. Santiago out shaped him and tore him apart the last three minutes. The Vaca/Santiago match was great as well. Santiago got a quick takedown but it was one sided after that and Vaca won 7-4.
189-Brown and Barfield. It was a good, Brown won but it was a shame to watch Barfield and the train wreck that ensued afterwards. It's horrible to see a kid DQ'ed the week before regionals. I think he's a senior and that's the worst way to end a career when you have a shot at getting to the show!

There were several other solid kids and CPS has a great chance to be well-represented down state. I think the following kids have a more than legit shot at making it:

112-Vaca of Kelly and Santiago of Von Stuben. Both are state caliber kids but 112 at Leyden might be the deepest weight. Dardanes from Fenwick is tough and so is Oldenburg. Macedo of Morton is a stud as well. This will be war all day. Pinex has an outside shot if he gets some wind because Bloom 112 has two studs and third looks open right now.
135-Nickson of Bogan. Super slick kid. He took 4th at Sectionals last year and should have gone then. He has Zimmerman and Kennelly He will get it done this year.
145-Ortiz from Kelly. Solid kid, good on top. 145 at Leyden has no ranked kids and two HM's in Wilson (Rita) and Martin (OPRF).
152-Lanier will get down again and Matthews can too. I wouldn't be shocked if they both did.
160-Freeman and Reed have a great chance. 160 at Bloom isn't that tough. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if they both made it. Williams from Lane has a chance at well. 160 at Leyden is like 103 at DLS last year, no real depth. One good kid in Osborn and then three other tough kids-DLS, Lane, Ridgewood.
171-Walker of Bowen. Super athletic kid. Would have a shot at many sectionals but 171 at Bloom is wide open. I would be surprised if he didn't get out.
189 and 215 from Fenger. Both are good wrestlers. 89 at Bloom has two good kids and Brown can sneek out. Jones at 215 is legit. He moves well, is unbelievably strong and is in great shape. Brantley and Schoen are at Bloom but he can very likely take third.

Those were the kids I feel can get down. Maybe I missed some who didn't wrestle. Last year three qualified and if CPS gets five or six down this year, that will go a long way towards CPS getting the respect they deserve.
Good luck next week.
Old 01-28-2007
Olympian

I just have to say congrats to ALL the city programs!!! I read a little but it started getting muddy. All of the coaches and wrestlers should be proud of themselves. NO suburban coach can understand the obstacles the kids and coaches are overcoming. I take my hat off to you all.
Old 01-28-2007
Wrestling Media

What is sad is all of you are taking away from the kids. TODAY, the day after city should be THEIR day. You should be talking about them and not the politics of being a Chicago Public league wrestling coach. Save that for another day and celebrate your city champion. I have been here you are trying to go so I understand your frustration but today is not the day to fire bullets.

Signed,Andre' Morgan

Chicago Public League
Graduate
City Champion
Coach
Teacher
Old 01-28-2007
Olympian

Twist, I didn't know you took city. What school? What year? By the way, how did Fenger do?:? All mud aside who were the top three teams?
Old 01-28-2007
Varsity

The city tournament was very well runned, it went a little long but hey overall great tournament.

My only thing about is all the bad and inconsistant refs, the missed so many call and made so many bad one, some should not be allowed to call matches.

About the lane 189, that was just plain horrible. There were many kids with huge outburst that should not be allowed, many lost and started to pound the mat, at one instant a parent was rooting for his kid and he was called out by the ref, and the team got hit by a team point, but as the ref walked away the other wrestler who had just lost started to hit the mat many times, but the ref did nothing to about it. There is just to much inconsistanty

Congrats to all the champs
They all did great the 135 match was very good
and the 152 semi-final was a great match

Let's stop with all the bad mouthing, it's just idiotic. If you have nothing good to say, then don't say anything at all.

Good luck at regionals to everyone.
Old 01-28-2007
Wrestling Media

135-Nickson of Bogan. Super slick kid. He took 4th at Sectionals last year and should have gone then. He has Zimmerman and Kennelly He will get it done this year.

Man was I impressed by this kid. He will qualify for state this year. No one will stop that. I am standing there watching him and he looked like he was in another program, like a St. Rita, Mt. Carmel, Sandburg, Providence or any other top ten program. I loved how with the lead he just kept turning it up. He was well coached and seemed to have a plan of attack. Zimmerman has the better competition and Kennely is from a suburban program with history but Nickson is for real and both would have their hands full. I don't think Bogan is in either ones sectional so he will face different people this year but he will be ready. I thought he might of gotten OW yesterday but Freeman was good as well and probably had the tougher road to the finals.

Rankers-rank this kid!

Last edited by MR TWISTER; 01-28-2007 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links