Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Freestyle / Greco-Roman

Old 06-10-2017
Veteran

Gomez/ McKee Junior Trials

Gomez had a great tournament and continues to prove he will compete well at the next level. I do have a concern how the match was ended with Gomez put on the shot clock in the last minute of the match with the score 5-5. I believe the shot clock rule has gone too far beyond its intended purposes. I was under the impression that the shot clock was added to increase action in a low scoring or 0-0 matches. If a wrestler is stalling or fleeing the result is a caution 2. I watched the match 2x and saw no reason to put Gomez on the clock to determine our junior world team member. McKee completely shut after that point and the announcers made the same observation. I watched Vegas a few weeks back and its almost to a point where the officials are just blowing the whistle for no apparent reasons.
Old 06-10-2017
McKendree Wrestling/MBWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train Double View Post
Gomez had a great tournament and continues to prove he will compete well at the next level. I do have a concern how the match was ended with Gomez put on the shot clock in the last minute of the match with the score 5-5. I believe the shot clock rule has gone too far beyond its intended purposes. I was under the impression that the shot clock was added to increase action in a low scoring or 0-0 matches. If a wrestler is stalling or fleeing the result is a caution 2. I watched the match 2x and saw no reason to put Gomez on the clock to determine our junior world team member. McKee completely shut after that point and the announcers made the same observation. I watched Vegas a few weeks back and it's almost to a point where the officials are just blowing the whistle for no apparent reasons.
100% agree. I thought it was 100% wrong. There was non-stop action from Austin the entire match. I definitely believe there's some needed re-education on the rule, for starters. I coached out in Vegas at the Open and had more than one conversation with other coaches that felt the same way. It's a shame that a point from the discretion of the ref decided who made that team.
Old 06-10-2017
Varsity

How many Illinois kids have made the Junior or Senior World teams this time around in each style?
I know Kennedy and Ramos fell short in the finals, Did anyone else make it? I think Kamal Bey made it in Greco.
Old 06-10-2017
Junior Varsity

Not mentioned here was Will Lewan winning the Cadet World Team Trials in both Freestyle and Greco...that's something Illinois
Old 06-11-2017
hawkeye 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding View Post
Not mentioned here was Will Lewan winning the Cadet World Team Trials in both Freestyle and Greco...that's something Illinois
That's because the post is titled Gomez/McKee why would it mention Lewan? You're not even talking the same tournament. Lol
Old 06-11-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-I-am View Post
That's because the post is titled Gomez/McKee why would it mention Lewan? You're not even talking the same tournament. Lol
He is responding to my post which is a couple above his response. I am just trying to figure out how many Illinois kids made a world team. I forgot all about the Cadet Worlds.
Sponsored Links