Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 2A

Old 10-31-2006
Varsity

Post new season new issues

hey guys just wanting vent at idiotic administration, as you know i coach at a CPS school if it weren't hard enough to get kids out to participate. well the thing is at my school we share the gym, thats after we got kick out of the ROTC HALL and the lunch room and got the gym know the are scheduling time for the sports to share and im stuck with the gym from 3:15 to 4:45. how am i expected to have a programs with the time slot, freshmen get out of class at 4:11 pm, and on other day i have the gym from 4:45 to 6:30. im all for equall time but this is idiotic, we don't have a room to practice and yet im one of the only team that ever year has a good showing. well enough of that i just think that the CPS really doesn't care about wrestling. this makes coaches who are dedicate and love the sport think again, and makes them reconsider if it's worth the headache. any one experiencing any difficulties this early???? i know we have gone through this again with the public league but it seams that each year it gets worse. Thanks from A frustrated coach
Old 10-31-2006
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvyncoach View Post
hey guys just wanting vent at idiotic administration, as you know i coach at a CPS school if it weren't hard enough to get kids out to participate. well the thing is at my school we share the gym, thats after we got kick out of the ROTC HALL and the lunch room and got the gym know the are scheduling time for the sports to share and im stuck with the gym from 3:15 to 4:45. how am i expected to have a programs with the time slot, freshmen get out of class at 4:11 pm, and on other day i have the gym from 4:45 to 6:30. im all for equall time but this is idiotic, we don't have a room to practice and yet im one of the only team that ever year has a good showing. well enough of that i just think that the CPS really doesn't care about wrestling. this makes coaches who are dedicate and love the sport think again, and makes them reconsider if it's worth the headache. any one experiencing any difficulties this early???? i know we have gone through this again with the public league but it seams that each year it gets worse. Thanks from A frustrated coach
What does Mickey Pruitt say about your situation and can he intervein.
Old 10-31-2006
Varsity

we are trying to talk to the AD before we take it any further. i hope i does not have to come to that.
Old 11-01-2006
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvyncoach View Post
The system is not set up for you to be successful. All you can do is your best. But don't be suprised if you can't get a kid to sectionals because the transportation program that is in place forgets that they have to pick someone up at on a cold february morning outside of your school. (I'm speaking from expoerience
Old 11-01-2006
former city coach

Many problems...

Well, this is one problem that isn't Mickey's fault. But I'm curious to see if he can help out with it. There are several things in play here.

1) CPS schools have overcrowding which forces staggered start times. That's why freshman get out so late, etc. I believe these start times are violations of the CPS teacher's contract. But that doesn't matter. Teachers essentially vote to agree to it every year because it has to happen and when contracts roll around it fades into the background of other issues.

2) Inadequate facilities.

3) Your school does not support the program, nor does the administration have any understanding how wrestling requires some different circumstances from other sports.

What's really awful here, as is often true with city wrestling programs, is that the kids are the ones who suffer and are dimeaned by this. KP will have a program and the kids who love wrestling will rarely get to practice and will be treated like they don't matter and like their goals and dreams don't matter by their own school.

Let's face it, it's harder to bear a loss in wrestling than in volleyball.

I hope the admin saves the day over at KP on this issue. Let's give 'em a chance. If not, maybe Pruitt can help.

Best of luck.
Old 11-02-2006
Varsity

thanks voncoach