Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2008
Varsity

This coach is really going to hurt his program and make kids not ever want to wrestle there.
Pretty crappy what they are doing to one of their best wrestlers there. Pretty much what the coach is saying is that sports are more important than academics. REAL nice message he's sending out. Hope Duke can get into the program there or elsewhere and continue to wrestle and fulfill his goal in life of becoming a teacher.
Old 04-13-2008
Varsity

well, i am glad that i chose not to go there or wrestle there now. grant seems like a selfish jerk to me. the school did not fail on duke. he failed to meet the credentials himself, to get into the teaching program. but at least he is still trying to get into it and find another way to succeed. that is determination right there. grant needs to be a man right now and let th kid go.
Old 04-13-2008
Steamer Grad 1997

Send a message via Yahoo to steamerfan21303
Wrestling is not like some of the other major sports in college where athletes can go on to lucrative careers in the sport in which they choose like basketball, football, and baseball. Look at any colleges mission statement, nowhere does it say "I, as a coach, will do what is best for me and not my student when it comes the athletic department". I understand with Burke on the team, team performs better, which increase positive exposure for the program, which in turn is better for NIU wrestling recruiting. But in todays era with the rapid ability to obtain even the most miniscule details of a subject matter at your fingertips with the way the press is and anyones access to the internet, negative publicity is easily spread. Many parents will tell you that the most important thing is an education, and most parents play a big role in determining where a student will go. This will do nothing but hurt the university's ethics stance, and ability to say with a staight face to other recruits that a student-athletes education is their primary intrest. My advice is to bring this to the attention of the NIU campus newspaper and have them run a story on it to get campus wide attention on the matter and I would bet the backlash is huge in favor of the Burkes and other student athletes that are more concerned with gpa's than a W-L record.
Old 04-13-2008
Varsity

Bad move by Grant

U know if he is doin this to Duke then he defiantly would do it to anyone else, with the Burk's relation to Illionois Matmen. If there was someone that coach Grant should have gave a release to, it would be Duke. Would have been a great pr move for him, considering this article would have probably praised Coach Grant for caring about a athletes future instead of the team's success.
Just my two cents
Old 04-13-2008
Varsity

Before I respond to this I would like to know if NIU loses the scholarship if they allow the transfer.
Old 04-13-2008
Olympian

No, they asked for the release in enough time so that NIU could use the scholarship money to recruit this spring. They didnt wait and waste the scholarship money. I think if NIU released Duke tomorrow, they can use the money right away.
Old 04-13-2008
Olympian

Are you kidding me?

I have to disagree with all the posters here. People are blaming the coach for not putting academics first? I am pretty sure the Burks knew full well what they needed to do to get into the teaching program. He needed to maintain at least a 2.75 GPA. He did not. He put other things, including wrestling, ahead of academics. He is the one who waited until the end of his junior year to try to address the issue. It should have been addressed during his first 2 years. If he needed tutors or needed to stop wrestling to do it then that is what he should have done. The coach, the AD, the school afforded him the opportunity to get a good education. He is the one who took the classes, the one who studied for the tests, took the tests and got the C's. He should take responsiblity for his own choices.

Before anybody jumps on here to blast me saying that I have no idea how hard it is to be a D1 athlete, I wrestled at Northwestern for 2 years and quit the team during my junior year to get my grades up and attend med school. It was a hard decision to make, but it was the right one. It strained relationships with teammates and wrestling was hard to walk away from. However, these are the hard decisions we all make. My GPA went up over a full grade point when I quit the team--that is how much of an impact training for D1 sports can have on a student's academic performance.

My 2 cents is: Duke needs to take responsiblity for his choices. The wrestling coach afforded him an opportunity to excel in wrestling which he has done and the school afforded him a quality education where he could excel and he did not take full advantage. He had 3 years to get his grades up and he failed to do that. He led himself to this place and is now asking the coach to let him out of his commitment, so that he can excel in wrestling for another program after NIU invested 3 years in him. There is no way I would let him out. The coach is not preventing him from getting an education at another school, he is preventing him from getting a scholarship and wrestling for another school. It is Duke not putting academics first, yet again. I think he should either drop off the wrestling team and pursue his dreams at NIU or pay his own way at another school like most other students. Duke is obviously a good kid who means a lot to this community, but he is also a kid who has made poor decisions that he has to live with, like we all have. That is life. He is not a victim, but a product of his choices. Regardless of what his next choice is, I have no doubt that if Duke wants to be a teacher, then he will find a way. Next to wrestling, everything in life seems easier. His lessons learned on and off the mat will serve him well in life. I hope he takes responsibilty for these choices and wish him luck in dealing with this challenge.
Old 04-13-2008
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanging out in Cali View Post
I have to disagree with all the posters here. People are blaming the coach for not putting academics first? I am pretty sure the Burks knew full well what they needed to do to get into the teaching program. He needed to maintain at least a 2.75 GPA. He did not. He put other things, including wrestling, ahead of academics. He is the one who waited until the end of his junior year to try to address the issue. It should have been addressed during his first 2 years. If he needed tutors or needed to stop wrestling to do it then that is what he should have done. The coach, the AD, the school afforded him the opportunity to get a good education. He is the one who took the classes, the one who studied for the tests, took the tests and got the C's. He should take responsiblity for his own choices.

Before anybody jumps on here to blast me saying that I have no idea how hard it is to be a D1 athlete, I wrestled at Northwestern for 2 years and quit the team during my junior year to get my grades up and attend med school. It was a hard decision to make, but it was the right one. It strained relationships with teammates and wrestling was hard to walk away from. However, these are the hard decisions we all make. My GPA went up over a full grade point when I quit the team--that is how much of an impact training for D1 sports can have on a student's academic performance.

My 2 cents is: Duke needs to take responsiblity for his choices. The wrestling coach afforded him an opportunity to excel in wrestling which he has done and the school afforded him a quality education where he could excel and he did not take full advantage. He had 3 years to get his grades up and he failed to do that. He led himself to this place and is now asking the coach to let him out of his commitment, so that he can excel in wrestling for another program after NIU invested 3 years in him. There is no way I would let him out. The coach is not preventing him from getting an education at another school, he is preventing him from getting a scholarship and wrestling for another school. It is Duke not putting academics first, yet again. I think he should either drop off the wrestling team and pursue his dreams at NIU or pay his own way at another school like most other students. Duke is obviously a good kid who means a lot to this community, but he is also a kid who has made poor decisions that he has to live with, like we all have. That is life. He is not a victim, but a product of his choices. Regardless of what his next choice is, I have no doubt that if Duke wants to be a teacher, then he will find a way. Next to wrestling, everything in life seems easier. His lessons learned on and off the mat will serve him well in life. I hope he takes responsibilty for these choices and wish him luck in dealing with this challenge.

glad im not the only one
i see it more as the wrestler hurtin the team.If he leaves doesnt the team take a hit with the Academic Performance Rate (APR) We already lost 1 d1 program because of this now we want to put another at risk because of 1 kid?As i said before in this post http://www.illinoismatmen.com/forum/...ad.php?t=17205 he has 3 choices ,he might not like those choices but hes not being screwed here
Old 04-13-2008
Olympian

I see your points, and I understand where you are coming from. But, to say he made bad choices is kind of wrong. It is not as if he was out all night, every night of the week, instead of doing his school work. His GPA sits at 2.65 or whatever it is, because he had a couple bad classes. As a former student, Im sure you should understand that. I sure do. As I said earlier, one class involved was a Math class. He struggled with the class, passed it, but the grade was low enough that it basically ruined his GPA. Another class was a history class, and he did poorly on a couple papers, and the grade hurt his GPA as well. Since then, hes been fine. He talked to people about getting into the program before now, and they said they would help. He gave them time. Then he spoke to Coach Grant a few weeks ago, and Coach guaranteed that he would get Duke into the program. So, Duke gave him some time. As you all know, the guarantee did not come true, and Duke was still denied entrance into the program. Sure, if his GPA was higher, he would have a better chance. BUT, if aunt had balls, she would be your uncle. Whats done is done with the GPA.....two classes his freshman year of college ruined the GPA for the next 5 years basically. So, the next option was the look into going to a school with a program that he CAN get into (which there are many). That is what he asked, and that is what he was denied of. He did not say "its not my fault I have bad grades", etc.
I agree with what you have said about him being given a fine opportunity to get an education. I wont argue that. But, he kind of bent over backwards for his first 2 years to save the wrestling team scholarship money. So, he helped them out for two years with scholarship money, and this was his first year of being on a complete athletic scholarship. So, its not as if hes been up there walking around with a full ride for 3 years now and messing around not going to classes and what not. He gets the work done, but early on, the work was not good enough.
Coach Grant has always been someone I thought would be reasonable in a situation like this, but I can not agree with him. It doesnt have to do with Duke being my brother. I did not agree with Coach Grant in the Hasseman situation either. He NEVER once said he was not releasing Duke because its his fault his grades are bad. He simply said he wouldnt release him because he didnt want to. And, Im sorry, but thats not good enough for me.

Last edited by Danny Burk; 04-13-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-13-2008
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel kurtz View Post
glad im not the only one
i see it more as the wrestler hurtin the team.If he leaves doesnt the team take a hit with the Academic Performance Rate (APR) We already lost 1 d1 program because of this now we want to put another at risk because of 1 kid?As i said before in this post http://www.illinoismatmen.com/forum/...ad.php?t=17205 he has 3 choices ,he might not like those choices but hes not being screwed here
I dont think the NIU APR is at risk with this situation. They are doing just fine, and the wrestling team is generally toward the top 25 in the country for academics. I think the APR is going to be ok whether Duke gets released or not. NIU is not going to lose their wrestling program if they release Duke, nor will they be close.
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread