Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 04-13-2006
Olympian

The Burk Blog 4/13

We haven't been doing anything all too exciting around here lately. I took a week off after the MAC tourney, and have been doing quite a bit of working out since then. I try to wrestle about 3-4 times a week and get in some cardio work 3 times a week, but mostly I've just been lifting a lot and trying to improve on my footwork. I really enjoy lifting, and our strength coach (Matt Mangum) does a great job training us. This off season he has included some new methods and new lifts, and it is a lot of fun, and I can already see it is paying dividends. I just need to keep getting stronger, which I know I will, and continue to work on the things I need to work on, which is a lot. Every year since I have been in college, I have gotten stronger and stronger, so I really believe in Magnum's system and the things he has us doing, and I think he's going to get me even stronger this year. And, of course, I believe in our coaches, so I am very confident that this off season will be my best yet, and I'll make up more ground than ever before.

Unfortunately, I am going to have to take some time off from doing some things starting next Thursday, as I am having my knee scoped. It is nothing serious, and I have full confidence that everything is going to go well and I'll be back into training soon enough. But, at the same time, I'm not going to rush into anything. I plan on taking a decent amount of time away from doing anything drastic with my legs. But, as far as my upper body goes, I don't think I'll be taking any time off. Hopefully things come out fine, but I hurt the knee a looooong time ago (January - National Duals) so there has been some damage done there that needs to be fixed. I just hope I can rehab fine and be back to 100% by the time July or August come around, which I am sure I will do with no problem.

Other than that, I am trying to get Duke ready for University Nationals. He's been training hard and is going to be ready to wrestle his best tournament, and I think he is going to do great. It's his first "true" test against some of the better college guys out there, and it will give him a great feel for things to come in his future. He's getting a lot bigger and seems to be getting better and stronger everyday, which is great to see. He's a lot like me in that he enjoys lifting and goes about it with a really good attitude. Hopefully with a good showing here in two weeks in Evanston, he will gain more confidence to roll into next year with.

Not much else to talk about.....hopefully we can bring a few more solid recruits in this spring to solidify the recruiting class a bit more, but I think the ones we have right now are going to be hard workers who will seek to get the most out of their potential, which is what we are looking for. To those recruits out there who may read this and are still undecided.....this is a great place to get better and stronger and to become the very best wrestler you can. We have a great staff all around and things are going to start going WAAAY up for this program, even from where we are right now.

OK OK, enough of the promotional stuff haha. I get to go home this weekend and spend time with my family for Easter and see my sisters little kids. I hope you all have a wonderful Easter and a good weekend, and I'll check back in next week after my surgery. Say a prayer for me, if you think about it, next week, that I'll have a full recovery. Thanks again for reading, and take care of yourselves. Keep training and keep believing.

God Bless you all.
Danny

PS - I have a great quote I read out of the book "The Greatest", which is about Ethiopian track star Haile Gebrselassie

"Experience is not what happens to a man; It is what a man does with what happens to him"

I live by this quote everyday.....it's not the situation that makes your life.....it is what you make of that situation. Always stay positive and believe. No matter what, things are going to be ok.

Last edited by admin; 04-14-2006 at 07:29 AM.
Sponsored Links