Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-09-2019
Varsity

Losing on purpose

Whats your guys thoughts on losing on purpose to advance? Wrestling is supposed to be sports that teaches values yet when coaches allow or instruct athletes to lose on purpose... is it right?
Old 02-09-2019
Varsity

Are you talking about the AA that pinned himself at 106 ?

Special kid, special coach.

It is antithetical to the core values of the sport as well as being against the rules and unethical...
Old 02-09-2019
World Champ

Not sure if you meant a forfeit of a 1st place or 3rd place match or losing earlier in the tourney on purpose. Personally if the wrestler is not 100% and likely would not win the match then maybe I could understand that move. Either way losing on purpose is risky. I would never have chosen that move during my wrestling days nor did I ever see anyone talk about that.
Old 02-09-2019
Junior Varsity

It happens...
Old 02-10-2019
Junior Varsity

Now they just forfeit the match to in the prelims to stay on the same side of the bracket or the quarters to get to the opposite side.
Old 02-10-2019
5 point takedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Now they just forfeit the match to in the prelims to stay on the same side of the bracket or the quarters to get to the opposite side.
No they don't/cant. The new rule forces them to physically lose the match. Well unless its the final match of the day.
Old 02-10-2019
Junior Varsity

Was not aware of the new rule, if there is I totally agree with it. If it at least stops them from forfeiting the match. If they have to go through the embarrassment of throwing a match and losing to a lesser opponent. Couldn’t do it, no way in hell.
Old 02-10-2019
5 point takedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuck! View Post
Special kid, special coach.

It is antithetical to the core values of the sport as well as being against the rules and unethical...
I didn't know it was against the rules. What is the rule? What action is taken for breaking the rule? very interesting.
Old 02-10-2019
Olympian

I was also unaware. Is there a link to something that outlines this (or can someone post some verbiage re. this)
Old 02-10-2019
5 point takedown

*** I said forces them, I should have said makes it harder to simply INJ DEF

Rule 10.2.3: Defeat due to injury in a tournament does not eliminate a contestant from further competition.

Rule 10.2.4: In case of injury or illness after verification of entries, the tournament director, in consultation with the designated, on-site appropriate health care professional(s) and the coach of the injured or ill contestant, shall determine the contestant's ability to continue. Extenuating circumstances concerning the injury or illness as it relates to default or forfeit for scoring purposes, shall be considered by the the tournament director. (not applicable at a Sectional.)

Rule 10.2.5: A forfeit shall eliminate a contestant from further competition in a tournament, except when the forfeit is because of an injury or illness which occurred during the tournament.
Sponsored Links