Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-09-2019
Junior Varsity

Sub .500 record state

Has there ever been someone with a sub .500 record to make state. Barrington sectional has potential for one.
Old 02-09-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrat140 View Post
Has there ever been someone with a sub .500 record to make state. Barrington sectional has potential for one.
Most assuredly

I know of one wrestler that not only qualified for the NCAA Wrestling Championships with a losing record but ultimately won the weight class.
Not that the weight class was easy. A future Olympic Gold Medalist failed to win a match

Lauden Swain

Last edited by lauden swain; 02-09-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrat140 View Post
There's some every year. Especially in 2A.
Old 02-09-2019
Varsity

Actually looking quickly at the brackets at state from last year there were none in 3A but 1 in 2A and 2 in 1A. Many were very close.

That being said, records don't mean as much anymore with schools having schedules that don't compare well. Many of our schools are wrestling out of state at national tournaments and that can really hurt a record of a kid that would otherwise have a winning record wrestling an easy schedule.
Old 02-09-2019
Varsity

Disagree I don't see too many 1a or 2a schools that wrestle in national tournaments.
Old 02-09-2019
Olympian

Doesn’t matter. If you get out of any sectional you will have to beat some pretty decent wrestlers along the way. You can have an easy regional; sectionals may not always be loaded but any pretenders are weeded out quickly.
Old 02-09-2019
Advanced

Back in 97-98 Bruno Selimos from Sandwich stepped in right before regionals as their starter went down with injury. Ended up placing 2nd in state. Not sure on the record, probably not sub .500 but a cool story nonetheless.
Old 02-09-2019
Varsity

wins state with a 0-0 record

I remember in late 90's Dan Niles from Yorkville missed the season with a bad illness of some kind. Once he was cleared to wrestle only the state series was left and he rolled through it. Although I dont think it was a surprise, I believe had won or nearly won as a Junior
Old 02-09-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
I remember in late 90's Dan Niles from Yorkville missed the season with a bad illness of some kind. Once he was cleared to wrestle only the state series was left and he rolled through it. Although I dont think it was a surprise, I believe had won or nearly won as a Junior
Similarly and more recently (maybe '08-'09?), Jimmy Chase won without having wrestled all year due to an injured leg. Again, it wasn't too big of a surprise but still impressive. Think he finished 9-0.
Old 02-09-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog81 View Post
Disagree I don't see too many 1a or 2a schools that wrestle in national tournaments.
True, but that wasn't really my point. I was writing about how a wrestler's record isn't necessarily indicative of how tough he is. Regardless of the record a wrestler could get hot at the right time and still make it downstate, even if unlikely.
Sponsored Links