Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-18-2019
Olympian

The Ghost of Bill Wirtz

There was a day in years past when you couldn't watch home Blackhawk games on television. It wasn't that long ago. Impossible to even imagine nowadays but, sadly, quite true.

Blackhawk team owner and family patriarch Bill Wirtz had a different outlook on things. Some say he viewed his team as a loss leader, a marketing expense to make money the way HE wanted to make it.

Wirtz was a kingpin of liquor distribution. That's how he made the family fortune. He wanted people to actually COME OUT to the home games and DRINK! That's what sports is for many: an excuse to drink. To inebriate yourself. Any consideration of the wait times at Hooter's between sessions in Champaign might suggest this applies to all sports at all levels. But I digress...

If you sold two products: one with razor-thin margins and astronomical costs in order to be really good, and, another where the profit margin was literally 1,000% or more over cost of goods sold... which one would YOU focus on?

The ghost of Bill Wirtz haunts me whenever I see the Iowa high school wrestling championships on TV with the great coverage and production values it's given. I see big Bill W. cackling at all of us without the ability to watch what we're all such fans of on an actual television broadcast.

Usually I'm a little cantankerous when the Iowa wrestling tournament first airs, mostly from having had to schlep down to Champaign and being subjected to the "special rates" at area hotels. I think they're back to hourly as of today.

I believe the same thought process Wirtz used is being employed by the IHSA as well. They want people to come down and watch and pay $5 for a Diet Coke which costs them less than a quarter. A bottle of water might be better for you, right? Unless it's $4 which is about the wholesale case cost for 24 such bottles.

Wirtz made his decision likes a businessman would. I expect better from the IHSA. There's no reason we shouldn't have our State finals carried on sports TV. In the long run, I think it would work out better for families and even the sport as well.

Interesting denouement: I had the pleasure to be seated next to Bill Wirtz at the Chicago Yacht Club back in 2003. It was the night they were re-opening renovated Soldier Field. We got to chatting.

I told him I might be the only person in Chicagoland who watches home Blackhawk games on TV. Which was indeed true.

I never switched my home address with DirecTV when I moved out here. As a result, I would get the visiting team's coverage of home Blackhawk games through their Center Ice NHL package.

Bill's face went from an away jersey white to a home jersey red in mere moments. It would turn alternate jersey black a few years later. Bill was not a healthy man to begin with. Hearing there were some nickels from HIS product that he was missing out on might've been what sent him spiraling downward... when his son Rocky took over the team, one of the first things he did was secure a television contract for the beloved Blackhawks. I'd like to sit down with whomever makes the decision to not allow our State wrestling tournament to be broadcast and hopefully have the same effect.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 02-18-2019
Varsity

YES!! very elegantly written too. Shame on Illinois IHSA/Athletics where we can be/do better and know we can do better but the no one will step up.

I would hope anyone with a position of authority that works for IHSA/School district would want to improve IHSA sports and promote athletics anyway possible. Does that have to be some job responsibility right at IHSA? Don't reinvent the steering wheel, steal other peoples ideas!

Iowa got this right, follow suit IHSA!

Ankle Pick

Last edited by gulach; 02-18-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
There was a day in years past when you couldn't watch home Blackhawk games on television. It wasn't that long ago. Impossible to even imagine nowadays but, sadly, quite true.

Blackhawk team owner and family patriarch Bill Wirtz had a different outlook on things. Some say he viewed his team as a loss leader, a marketing expense to make money the way HE wanted to make it.

Wirtz was a kingpin of liquor distribution. That's how he made the family fortune. He wanted people to actually COME OUT to the home games and DRINK! That's what sports is for many: an excuse to drink. To inebriate yourself. Any consideration of the wait times at Hooter's between sessions in Champaign might suggest this applies to all sports at all levels. But I digress...

If you sold two products: one with razor-thin margins and astronomical costs in order to be really good, and, another where the profit margin was literally 1,000% or more over cost of goods sold... which one would YOU focus on?

The ghost of Bill Wirtz haunts me whenever I see the Iowa high school wrestling championships on TV with the great coverage and production values it's given. I see big Bill W. cackling at all of us without the ability to watch what we're all such fans of on an actual television broadcast.

Usually I'm a little cantankerous when the Iowa wrestling tournament first airs, mostly from having had to schlep down to Champaign and being subjected to the "special rates" at area hotels. I think they're back to hourly as of today.

I believe the same thought process Wirtz used is being employed by the IHSA as well. They want people to come down and watch and pay $5 for a Diet Coke which costs them less than a quarter. A bottle of water might be better for you, right? Unless it's $4 which is about the wholesale case cost for 24 such bottles.

Wirtz made his decision likes a businessman would. I expect better from the IHSA. There's no reason we shouldn't have our State finals carried on sports TV. In the long run, I think it would work out better for families and even the sport as well.

Interesting denouement: I had the pleasure to be seated next to Bill Wirtz at the Chicago Yacht Club back in 2003. It was the night they were re-opening renovated Soldier Field. We got to chatting.

I told him I might be the only person in Chicagoland who watches home Blackhawk games on TV. Which was indeed true.

I never switched my home address with DirecTV when I moved out here. As a result, I would get the visiting team's coverage of home Blackhawk games through their Center Ice NHL package.

Bill's face went from an away jersey white to a home jersey red in mere moments. It would turn alternate jersey black a few years later. Bill was not a healthy man to begin with. Hearing there were some nickels from HIS product that he was missing out on might've been what sent him spiraling downward... when his son Rocky took over the team, one of the first things he did was secure a television contract for the beloved Blackhawks. I'd like to sit down with whomever makes the decision to not allow our State wrestling tournament to be broadcast and hopefully have the same effect.
There are some things you and I can agree on.
Sponsored Links