Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 01-20-2020
Go for the pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
I don't know how the coaches are teaching it, but too often the Illini are left overextended when they shoot either a single leg or double leg. I don't see much of a level change when they shoot, which leads to the above. That's what killed Duncan, although against a top notch opponent.
I've been watching Duncan closely the past several matches, granted they were against highly ranked competition, however he looks to be diving for a leg that's no longer there and then getting easily taken down.
Old 01-20-2020
Go for the pin

I've been calling for a coaching change for years. The Illini need a spark and it starts at the top. Recruiting needs to be better. We have too many holes in the line up and a draft record similar to the Bears.

We have too many guys not pressing and taking shots. Seem to be satisfied losing 8-4 often. Gut check time. I get it, sometimes they are overmatched but walk off the mat knowing you gave it your all. I don't see that.

On the bright side the Braunagels are looking to be better than advertised and have a lot of upside to medal over the next few years.
Old 01-20-2020
Kickerboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwrestler155 View Post
I've been calling for a coaching change for years. The Illini need a spark and it starts at the top. Recruiting needs to be better. We have too many holes in the line up and a draft record similar to the Bears.

We have too many guys not pressing and taking shots. Seem to be satisfied losing 8-4 often. Gut check time. I get it, sometimes they are overmatched but walk off the mat knowing you gave it your all. I don't see that.

On the bright side the Braunagels are looking to be better than advertised and have a lot of upside to medal over the next few years.
All and all this is a team that starts 4 freshman and finished 3rd at Midlands over several higher ranked teams.

Last edited by Lloyd Dobler; 01-20-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2020

Set ups are weak
Head over knees on shots leads to head on the mat and laces planted leads to wizzer leads to stalemate
No back pressure off bottom, only hand fighting with head on mat, elbows out lead to cross wrist rides with no chance of escapes
No forward pressure on top, no knee up the ***, just waiting for guy to stand up and chase him around the mat
No center of the mat control on feet, always back against the line leads to alot of stalling calls

These things can be addressed and fixed in the room, even against top notch competition. Are they is the real question
Old 01-20-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Dobler View Post
All and all this is a team that starts 4 freshman and finished 3rd at Midlands over several higher ranked teams.
Very true.

And every year, even during those golden years, there is one dual or tournament where you end up saying WTF and then moving on.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Dobler View Post
You are correct, LLoyd, but it does not diminish the concerns some of us have regarding what is (or is not) being coached. Some basic fundamentals on their feet and on bottom are lacking, in my opinion. Maybe you see it otherwise.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey32 View Post
Set ups are weak
Head over knees on shots leads to head on the mat and laces planted leads to wizzer leads to stalemate
No back pressure off bottom, only hand fighting with head on mat, elbows out lead to cross wrist rides with no chance of escapes
No forward pressure on top, no knee up the ***, just waiting for guy to stand up and chase him around the mat
No center of the mat control on feet, always back against the line leads to alot of stalling calls

These things can be addressed and fixed in the room, even against top notch competition. Are they is the real question
My sentiments exactly.
Sponsored Links