Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 04-06-2019
Varsity

9u grand river rumble duals

I 1st want to say thanks to all the coaches and clubs that were/are on board w/ filling "all Illinois" teams. Im so impressed and grateful for the positive feedback that I got when not just speaking to head coaches but the parents also. I wish there was more words I could say than just thank you but seriously... THANK YOU.

When I 1st suggested on a previous thread about the idea of bringing several "all Illinois" teams down, there was a few questions that were asked. There was also a few points I wanted to make clear when I started the thread. I was very hesitant and nervous originally because I didnt know how the whole thing would go over.

Il start w/ the points I wanted to make clear so people understand why im writing this. My 1st & main goal is to make sure everyone going has the best time possible. My 2nd goal is to bring or help bring the most competitive teams IL can possibly bring. The 3rd thing I mentioned on the previous post, and I did for a reason was express the talent level people will see that weekend at grand river rumble. Il say it again, whether its the individuals or duals, the talent and level of wrestling is simply nothing short of amazing.

That said, I believe Illinois has equal if not better quality of wrestling than any state in the country. For those who know me or more importantly my kids, you can see on their track profiles they have competed from coast to coast and I can tell you, IL is amongst the best quality of wrestling out there.

Il now get to some of the questions people asked. Some questions included: can teams be mix matched/combined w/ other teams. Who decides whos on what team. Who gets a spot over another kid. Etc etc. These are all great and fair questions. Its been suggested and somewhat answered on previous threads having a tournament or something of sorts to place kids on whatever team. Like mentioned previously, all teams I was trying to suggest putting together wouldve all been loaded. Yes, if multiple teams, we couldve shaped up a gold, silver etc etc team but egos would have to be put aside... that included mine. I specifically stated if dawson cant beat out the other kids going for his weight, I accept that. Unfortunately theirs not enough time imo to put these teams together w/ that method. Thats why I also mentioned theres a free agent listing on nuway site for kids not asked, to post their name if they still want to be on any team going to grand river rumble.

Ive reached out to around 30-40 clubs and/or coaches all in IL. Because of the time table we are on, I know its not best to wait til last minute to put together a team for an event of this magnitude. In doing such we have got commitments to almost fill not 1 but 2 teams and did it in less than 3 days. That isnt because of me but is because of all the great clubs and coaches across the state that helped work together to build these teams. Im nervous and hesitant on saying what I have to say next so il be as politically correct yet as blunt as possible to explain these next couple points.

If you werent asked or contacted by myself or others, I apologize. As I stated, I reached out to over 30 clubs already. For some clubs, I asked their opinions, for others, im still in the process of reaching out. Again, over 30 clubs in last 2 days, theres still a chance you or your club will be contacted. Im also trying to be as courteous as possible by not stepping on toes of coaches I know are looking for specific kids for their teams. Every coach is going to want not just the best kid but the kid thats most prepared for this event. That doesnt mean just physically but mentally. Again the talent is amazing and its very difficult to find individuals who can lose and possibly be utterly embarrassed but bounce right back and give 100% the next dual. Thats what all coaches look for and all parents im sure try to teach their kid.

That leads me to my last couple points. To answer if its possible to mix match teams, my answer is yes. This decision is not solely up to me because it obviously means another team or teams need to be involved but I will say Im waiting to hear from a couple coaches that may be interested in doing this. If it is determined that no one else is interested in combining teams the weights we have openings for as of right now are:
60, 75, and 82lb. These spots were actually filled but unfortunately the confusion for bday cutoffs changed a couple situations. You must be 9 or younger as of 12/31/18 to be eligible.

Lastly, I ask if interested in a spot, you can email me at jminc.mack@gmail.com or call/text me at 630-854-0583. Please do not list suggestions on this thread of options of kids to reach out to. If you have opinions of kids, have their coaches or parents contact myself or other coaches heading a team. Out of respect to others who were not contacted, I dont want parents being upset or feeling left out. Please dont ask what teams may or may not be combined because out of respect to other coaches or teams, if it doesnt happen, its ok and I dont want negative impressions on them. Lastly, I will not release the list of names on the 2 teams until they are fully completed and committed plus I hear from the other teams in event we work together combining.

Thank you and good luck to everyone

Last edited by 2on1; 04-06-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2019
Varsity

You just might be the most passionate poster/coach/dad on this site. Keep up the good work. The more all-star teams we can put together the better. Maybe organize a few that travel all year round.
Old 05-05-2019
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on1 View Post
Thanks. Id love to have teams travel throughout the year and il stand by what I said, I think duals are the best part of the sport. Some kids may never get the chance to experience being on a dual team til high school. Unfortunately by then, some may not even be wrestling.

I know some of my posts get lengthy so il try to keep this brief. There are 2 duals coming up this week which means several kids will be out of state. Im assuming some coaches heading teams are waiting on confirmation and/or commitments from some of these kids. A weekend of duals can be very taxing on kids "and concerned moms" lol. But we all know how it goes and have to see where parents and more importantly the kids heads are at after these events.

As I stated before im pretty sure I can say we have 2 90% completed teams w/ exception of just few openings left. Im still going through several emails, voice mails, and texts. I know theres several kids and parents who want to participate. Some people reached out to weights we already have. If any coaches heading a team are still looking to fill spots, id be more than happy to share names of kids looking to be on a team as long as i have the parents consent to share contact info.

I was asked by several parents if we would be putting a 3rd team together or willing to try. Its hard putting 1 let alone 2 teams together. But if teams are willing to work together, im open to anything but I wont lie, 3 teams to head is very difficult when all at 9u. But again, if teams combine, its possible if everyone involved can put egos aside.

I hope people understand that regardless of the name of the wrestler or how good he/she is, whether they can or cant beat out a wrestler that committed, I cant nor wont turn a family away that already committed. I dont believe in that under any circumstances. I will as I said, be more than happy to help any team and family out I can as long as I have both consent.

So I encourage parents to reach out to known coaches/teams bringing a team to see what openings are available. If coaches want to reach out to me to get names of kids interested in spots we may have already filled, if I have families consent, il pass their info along. Lastly if parents dont know what all teams are even going, my info is listed, and id be happy to share any knowledge of teams im aware of. I hope the best for all teams going.

Good luck to everyone.

Was wondering how you got #'s for wrestlers without contacting their affiliated club. Nor spoke to their head coach or someone within their club.
Old 05-10-2019
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormrChamp View Post
Was wondering how you got #'s for wrestlers without contacting their affiliated club. Nor spoke to their head coach or someone within their club.

I was asking for a friend.
Old 05-10-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormrChamp View Post
For out of state people, majority of kids or parents ph#s I ever got, I got directly from them over the years while travelling to other states for events.

For in state people, we basically reached out to people we met over the years. For the people we dont have contact info for, we did everything you mentioned in your posts. We contact head coaches of several clubs. Then w/ their help we reached out to the families or in some cases the coach or families reached out to us.

If after all that, you still need to find kids, go to nuway free agent boards. It usually has contact info for teams looking for a kid or a kid looking for a team.

Hope this information was helpful.

Good luck to everyone going to grand river rumble.

Last edited by 2on1; 05-10-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2019
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on1 View Post
For out of state people, majority of kids or parents ph#s I ever got, I got directly from them over the years while travelling to other states for events.

For in state people, we basically reached out to people we met over the years. For the people we dont have contact info for, we did everything you mentioned in your posts. We contact head coaches of several clubs. Then w/ their help we reached out to the families or in some cases the coach or families reached out to us.

If after all that, you still need to find kids, go to nuway free agent boards. It usually has contact info for teams looking for a kid or a kid looking for a team.

Hope this information was helpful.

Good luck to everyone going to grand river rumble.

Yes, congratulations and good luck to all the kids participating. And thank you for the indepth response (although it's B.S.).

How do you contact 2nd year wrestlers (parents) that you've known through the years?

I personally know 3 kids whose parents were contacted without ANY communication beforehand with their respective club.

You also were told.not two contact kids from a club and proceeded to any way. ( Dick move)

I'm all about representing IL strong, But stealing kids from other clubs is B.S. I'd be more than happy to discuss this with you privately.
Old 05-12-2019
Varsity

What are you talking about. Anyone I reached out to, I got their numbers through head coaches, affiliates, or I known already. Or like I said, some families reached out to me. Not 1 kid did I reach out to that someone asked me not to contact. I seriously have no clue what you are talking about. Id love to hear who asked me not to contact anyone and who I contacted that I was asked not to. My phone number is listed above so feel free to call me to discuss before you spread lies. Dont come on here making stuff up. Something tells me you are mistaking me w/ another team. Also the people who reached out to me, I told them to talk to their head coach because 1 team in particular I knew had something going on but wasnt sure if they were tending.

And stealing kids from another club... what are you talking about? This is for GRR duals. I already pm you, gave you my ph#, or better yet, you can post on here who you are referring to for all I care because again, either you are thinking of someone else or your facts arent accurate and you are just trying to start problems. No secret on matmen who I am so feel free to say who you are, who told me not to call certain kids, or what friend is asking as you stated. Id love to hear this.

This to me sounds more like 1 of 3 things.
1. You are trying to force a wedge between multi team duals so IK sees this and is encouraged to vote for this reason you are making up.

2. You are trying to form a team and frustrated how difficult it is to get kids at this point because so many IL teams.

3. You are just on here to start drama. How can you ask how I get numbers w/o contacting clubs. Then your post says I was instructed not to contact kids from a specific club. Well which is it? I dont contact clubs or I should contact a club?

Id prefer you post who and what you are referring to because im confident what you are saying isnt true. I think theres 60+ head coaches in IL alone that can vouge that I reached out to them. I dont recall 1 club saying dont call my kids. In fact, it was the opposite. The coaches were helpful, assisting, and also felt it would be a great opportunity for the kids. So if what you are saying is true, just post so everyone can see who you are talking about.

I highly doubt you will respond to this in much detail much less call me when you have my ph#. Please prove me wrong and tell everyone who I shouldnt have called and who told me not to. My guess is you wont because like most people on here you are starting trouble when theres nothing wrong. If whoever put you up to this is bitter, they can call me too. My number is listed for everyone to see. Its these type of adults that influence taking opportunities away from young kids. So share w/ everyone who you are or who your "friend" is.

Have a nice day

Last edited by 2on1; 05-12-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2019

He contacted me through our club coach.... This team has been all above board from what I have experienced and it will be a pleasure for my son to compete with this crew!!

Last edited by Steele; 05-13-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-30-2019
Varsity

All spots are filled. Thank you to all clubs and coaches who helped reach out to families for us. I know several kids still looking for spots. Id happily help pass names along for 9u needs.

Best of luck to everyone.
Old 05-30-2019
Varsity

Awesome job facilitating! Good luck to all the kids repping IKWF at this meat grinder!
Sponsored Links