Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 10-12-2007
Varsity

Duke's Blog-10/12

Well, it has been quite a while since I have written my last blog. You could say that much has happened since then. School has started, we have been having team workouts for quite a while now, and the competition season is about to begin.

The end of the summer went well. Kept working out here in DeKalb, lifting and running as much as I could. Wrestled a few times a week too. I was just trying to keep my weight in the mid 190's, and I succeeded in doing that. Once we started school, we had the first week to workout on our own. The freshmen get acclimated to their new surroundings, and we all just get used to having to go to class again. The second week of school began the long stretch of morning workouts before the duals started. For the first 2 weeks, we ran 3 miles M-T-Th mornings, while running stadiums on Fridays. After each run, we would go to the new weight room and lift. On M-T-Th afternoons, we had open room to get on the mats. Felt good to finally get back into working out with the team, even if it wasn't structured. New freshmen always bring something different to a room.

On October 1, we started the regular season practices. Four two-a-days per week. Wednesday is our day during the week to get workouts on our own, or relax. For me, I usually get two workouts on that day. Sometimes I bike and run, others I drill and run. The mornings are running 3 miles on Mondays, drill Tuesdays and Thursdays, then stadiums again on Fridays. Lifts are also done after these workouts. The afternoon practices last from 3:30 until 5:30, and we have just been doing top/bottom so far, trying to build our stamina while staying healthy at the same time.

As far as myself personally, things have been doing extremely well so far. I feel like I am in the best shape I have been in maybe ever, and i am relatively healthy. Some minor injuries, but ones I can obviously work through. My weight has been going down well, as I weighed out at 184 today after practice. That is the lowest I have been since nationals.

To end with, I would like to remind all of you of our wrestle-offs coming up 3 weeks from tonight. They will start at 7, and will feature what you should expect from us this season. Should be some great matches again, with each guy fighting for that chance to wrestle versus Iowa State. Thanks Again...
Old 10-15-2007
Varsity

Freshman

Hey Duke,
Good luck with the upcoming season!
What freshman do you think will have any impact on the season? Who looks good?
Old 10-16-2007
Wrestling Maniac

Send a message via AIM to OVERweight135
NIU Wrestle-Offs

Are the wrestle-offs open to the public? I would assume that they are but I dont want to make the 45min trip to find out they are not. Where are the wreslte-offs held on campus?
Old 10-16-2007
Class A Msg Board Host!

Send a message via AIM to flashy_classy_Ahost Send a message via Yahoo to flashy_classy_Ahost
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERweight135 View Post
Are the wrestle-offs open to the public? I would assume that they are but I dont want to make the 45min trip to find out they are not. Where are the wreslte-offs held on campus?
Yes they are. They are held in the Victor E. Court which is in the basement area of the Convocation center. I think they charged $5 bux last year, but I don't remember exactly.

flashy@illinoismatmen.com
Old 10-16-2007
Varsity

Wrestle-offs will be November 2nd at Victor E Court in the Convo Center. Should be some real good match ups this year, as always...
Old 12-07-2007
Varsity

Good luck Duke. I know you will have another great year. You make us Central IL guys proud.