Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 12-15-2005
Olympian

The Burk Blog 12/15

Sorry it has taken me longer to post again. I have been kind of busy the last couple days. We had a meet Sunday, practice Monday and Tuesday, then I went home to Peoria because my sister had another baby, this morning. So, that was pretty exciting.

The meet against Wisconsin was very bittersweet. I lost a tough match, 4-3 to Kelly Flaherty. He's a tough kid, ranked in the top 15. But, I really thought I could get a win against him, and I thought I should have. I was in on quite a few shots, but couldn't finish. That kind of seems to be the theme of my season right now. The good thing is, I am really opening up and taking a lot more shots than I ever have before. Now I just have to finish those shots, and I believe I'll be hard to beat.

But the dual ended on a high note....Our freshman at 184 pinned his opponent for us to win the dual by one point. It was the first time NIU beat UW in a LOOOOOONG time. So it was very exciting. We wrestled pretty well as a team and are really starting to look good.

We have 3 duals this Sunday at Rich East High School. We wrestle Wisconsin Whitewater first, then Indiana, then SIUE. The Indiana dual is going to be a big one. Not to overlook the other two teams, because trust me, we aren't. But, getting to compete against another top team from the Big Ten is always exciting. So if you have some time on Sunday, come out and support us and watch some good wrestling. Indiana has the #1 ranked guy at 125, and Pat Castillo for us is ranked #17 and is an up-and-comer nationally I believe. It's a big match for Pat and everyone else on our team.

Anyway, so far my season is going alright. I am 7-2, which isnt great, but not bad. I think that I have really improved and have a great chance to do good things this season. I just need to keep working hard and improving everyday, and making sure I am mentally prepared every time I step out on the mat.

I hope all is going well for all you wrestlers/coaches out there. Keep working hard and remember, losing now doesn't mean you can't win in February. Just keep pushing yourself and making yourself better. And have a good time. Wrestling is fun, so enjoy it. Duke and I are going to try to make it out to the Dvorak Tourney next week maybe, so hopefully we will see a lot of you guys out there. Good luck.

-Danny-

PS - My shout out this week goes to Elly Ann Bare, my new niece and God Daughter. Congrats to Mike and Melissa Bare for having another beautiful baby. God Bless

"Success is not in never falling...but in rising everytime you fall"

Last edited by admin; 12-15-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links