Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Freestyle / Greco-Roman

Old 07-07-2019
Olympian

Ben Askren in 5 Sec Fight

Unbelievable!!!

Jorge Masvidal scored the fastest knockout in UFC history Saturday night, finishing Ben Askren just five seconds into their welterweight bout at UFC 239 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Masvidal (34-13) ran directly at Askren (19-1) to open the bout and landed a flying knee as Askren ducked his head. Askren immediately stiffened up before dropping to the canvas. Masvidal landed a couple more strikes on the ground, but Askren appeared to already be out cold.

"He's so predictable, man. He's a scrub," Masvidal said when asked why he decided to try a flying knee to start. "A part of me wanted to just throw it out there so he knew, if you do shoot [for a takedown], like an idiot, like you only know how to, your head's going to get clipped, and then I would put the brakes on him and beat him up for 14 minutes and 30 seconds and execute him. Or, you know, he took the bait. ... He walked right into it."

Askren remained on the canvas for several minutes and appeared still dazed when he finally stood up. He was led out of the Octagon with assistance from his team and was transported to a local hospital.

Askren told ESPN's Ariel Helwani late Saturday night that he was discharged and was attending his after party.

Askren also took to Twitter afterward to sum up his knockout loss.

@Benaskren
Well that sucked

Masvidal and Askren had a contentious buildup to Saturday's fight, throwing out their share of taunts and insults at each other during prefight promotional events.

The taunting continued in the immediate aftermath of Saturday's fight, when Masvidal got down on all fours next to an unconscious Askren and began slapping the ground.

White's reaction to Masvidal's flying knee: 'Wow'Dana White calls Jorge Masvidal's flying knee on Ben Askren "one of the most vicious knockouts" he's ever seen in his life.
Masvidal said he had no remorse for the strikes that came after Askren was knocked unconscious. When a reporter suggested some people felt the punches were unnecessary, Masvidal shot back, "They were super-necessary."

"The referee hadn't pulled me off, and my job is to hit somebody until the referee pulls me off," he said. "So to those people, I would say maybe don't watch MMA, and go back to soccer."

Duane Ludwig held the previous UFC record for fastest knockout (six seconds) against Jonathan Goulet in 2006.
Old 07-08-2019
Olympian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHbim0x1o7s

Lucky or taking advantage of a wrestlers natural instincts...?
Old 07-09-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHbim0x1o7s

Lucky or taking advantage of a wrestlers natural instincts...?
Both. Masvidal was going to do the running knee know matter what at the start of the bell.
Old 07-09-2019
Olympian

My son's old judo teacher said that when wrestler first come in they constantly want to do two leg take downs, which is sometimes not the point of the exercise. Anyway, I recall him mentioning when they won't stop they would end up getting a mild knee to face to help make the point. Not like that fight but it is evidently a "known thing" in that world.
Old 07-10-2019
Varsity

I had noticed a trend with wrestlers in the UFC implementing more standup and only utilizing takedowns against the cage. I kind of wondered why they weren't hitting more shots in the middle of the cage. Well now I know why. I think Askren still has a career in MMA; however he will need to take sometime and add some missing parts to his game. Bellator is not the same caliber as UFC. A controversial win over an aging Robbie Lawler and then knocked out by a journeyman is proof of that.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Sh** happens. Weidman split Silva's leg in half on Silva's kick. Striking involves a lot more uncertainty than grappling.
Sponsored Links