Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 01-28-2019
Olympian

The ILLINI Super Awesome Preview of OSU

What: ILLINI-Ohio State Dual
When: February 1, 2019 at
Where: Huff Hall
Why: Revenge!

The first two things that jump out at you about this dual are revenge, and, oh my god, we don’t match up well with the hated Buckeyes. In a dual with Penn State, the ILLINI will likely have three, maybe four, favorites. With Iowa, the Orange and Blue would have three. But against Ohio State, ILLINOIS will likely show up with one clear favorite.

Even though two other ILLINI won their last matches against their OSU opponents.

What can I say about Ohio, itself? It’s horrible. Every square inch. Ohio feels more like a county than a state to me. It’s even shaped like a county. But, you ask, isn’t Ohio the “Mother of Presidents?” That’s what stupid people call Ohio. I call it the “Mother of Forgettable Presidents,” including Rutherford B. Hayes, James A. Garfield, Benjamin Harrison and William Howard Taft. I’d trade one Lincoln or Obama for the lot of ‘em! Who doesn’t like Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Barack Obama? Oh, yeah. Those guys.

I will grudgingly admit that Ohio has produced some great wrestlers, including past and future ILLINI legends like Mark Jayne, Kyle Ott, D.J. “The Future” Shannon, and E’lan Heard. For that reason—and that reason alone—I will refrain from slapping Ohio in the face and challenging it to a duel.

Here’s what the dual will look like:

125. Travis Piotrowski vs. Malik Heinselman.

This is it. This is the lone ILLINI favored in the dual. Wrestlestat.com (which I hate worse than the state of Ohio) has ILLINOIS losing by a 33-3 count to the Buckeyes. That “3” on the end is due to a projected Pio win over Heinselman. Tom Ryan removed Heinselman’s redshirt this year, even though he seems a little light for the weight. Justin Cardani, the ILLINI true freshman, gave the Buckeye a great match in Las Vegas.

The advantage that Heinselman has is that he is extremely quick and can score exposures rapidly in freestyle. One of those advantages translates to college folkstyle. Pio is 5-5 against common opposition, while the Buck is 1-3. They both have had recent matches with Rayvon Foley and Drew Mattin; Pio lost to Foley by five, Heinselman lost a major 6-19; Pio beat Mattin, while the Buckeye lost to him 6-12. This might be a good time for the ILLINI coaches to suggest starting at a different weight. What do you think?

133. Dylan Duncan vs. Luke Pletcher.

Revenge! Duncan finished third at the Big Ten tournament last year. The reason he didn’t finish higher was a 3-4 loss to Luke Pletcher. That has been their only meeting. Duncan has a sweet low single, but it must be hard to convert it on a tree stump. IT’S ALL LOW DOWN THERE! There’s nothing high.

The ILLINI is 12-10 against the same guys against whom Pletcher sports a 23-5 record. Recently, the Buckeye did worse against Tutolo from Michigan State and Micic from Michigan than did Duncan. But, also, too, recently, Pletcher beat Lizak, while Duncan lost that match, although not the second and third periods. As long as the Orange and Blue is healthy, this should be a close one. Pletcher will be favored, but not by the four points that wrestlestat.com predicts (9-5).

141. Michael Carr vs. Joseph McKenna.

Revenge! For me, the last month has seemed like a slow-motion NCAA tournament for Mike Carr. He’s battled his way through the brackets of ranked wrestlers to reach the finals. Now we get a rematch of Carr versus McKenna. We saw that the one and only time in the Big Ten finals last year.
My theory, which I cleave to like a ten-year-old girl and a Korean boy band, is that Carr took a bad shot early in the BTT finals, got taken down and put on his back and placed in a giant hole (points and gas-wise) from which he could not recover.

McKenna has looked all-world so far this year, and he has circled today’s match on his calendar. He must realize that Mike Carr is a definite challenger. Carr has had a lot of weekends circled lately, and he has one more, before he gets a little break. The ILLINI is 9-6 against common opponents (three of those losses against Eierman), while McKenna is 12-5 (two losses to Thorn and Heil). Wrestlestat.com prognosticates an 8-3 win for the Buckeye. This will be one of the marquee matchups.

After the match, they should have a wrestling math, where they go up against each other in solving fiendishly difficult quadratic equations. These are smart people.

149. Christian Kanzler vs. Micah Jordan.

Kanzler is 1-2 against the same guys who Jordan has beaten at a 5-0 clip. The Buckeye is ranked #3 by Intermat and #1 by wrestlestat.com, which predicts a tech fall. Kanzler is a fighter who is improving, though, so I think they go to far.

157. Eric Barone vs. Ke-Shawn Hayes.

Revenge! This time it will be the Buckeye who will be out to exact revenge in this match. Barone has looked to me like a good shot at All-American this year. Even his match against Berger had me believing. Eric must have paid a lot of attention to IMAR, as he has adopted many of his techniques and a little of his swagger.

They’ve had two matches with Ke-Shawn Hayes winning last season in a major, while Barone took the close 2-1 decision this year. It hardly seems fair to look at common opponents, as Barone has obviously “jumped levels,” but the records are 5-14 for the ILLINI and 13-8 for the Buckeye. Of course, wrestlestat.com has Barone ranked #freaking62 for some ridiculous reason, while Ke-Shawn is at #8, and the latter is predicted to win by a major. Not so fast!

165. Joey “Guns” Gunther vs. Kaleb Romero.

Wrestlestat.com has this as a one-point win for Romero, but against common opposition, Gunther has the advantage at 3-3, while the Buckeye sits at 1-4. In fact, I’m going to proclaim Guns as the favorite. Romero is shooting blanks so far in the Big Ten, except for a win over Austin Hiles of MSU. Romero has a 7-5 record on the season. Gunther is at 15-9 and tied for the team lead for wins. He’d have the team lead if he hadn’t been out of the lineup and missed the MSU dual. Hopefully, Guns has time this season to situate himself and climb back into the rankings. That process starts on Friday.

174. Carver James vs. Te’Shan Campbell.

James is also a fighter. Down in the third period against Nebraska’s Labriola, Carver is still shooting in and securing a takedown. This is a guy that the ILLINI can wear down over three periods. Carver has a 7-9 record on the year, while Te’Shan is 8-2.

However, Ethan Smith has wrestled the last couple of duals for the Bucks, so we could very well see him. He gave Myles Amine a 3-2 scare in the team’s last dual. Smith is 12-5 on the season, and that record includes a win over teammate Te’Shan Campbell.

184. Emery Parker vs. Myles Martin.

On March 16, 2017, Emery Parker and Myles Martin last met. It was the NCAA tournament, and the ILLINI won 14-9. It was Martin who went for the big move, and that big move backfired. Still, after giving up a bunch of points, Martin was unable to make much headway into the Parker lead in that match. The season before, Martin won an 11-3 major decision over Parker.

The interesting trivia that ties the two wrestlers together is that Martin lost the second-round match with Parker back in 2017, and he then went on a tear in the consolation bracket to win six total matches to place fifth that year. Last season, Parker lost his first-round match and then went on to win seven in a row to place third.

For some unknown horrible reason, wrestlestat.com has Emery Parker ranked #12 in the country. They have Martin winning a 9-7 decision. Parker is 31-15 against common opponents, while the Buckeye is 38-12.

197. Andre Lee vs. Kollin Moore.

Lee has looked like an NCAA qualifier this year, but Moore has looked like something else. Wrestlestat.com is predicting a major decision win for Moore, which would be better than the last and only outing between these two, which ended in a pinfall. Who wants to see a duckunder or sweep single or inside trip in the first twenty seconds against Moore? I do!

Lee has absolutely beautiful offense when he goes to it. The nothing-to-lose strategy is a good one when you see that Moore is 34-1 against common opponents, while Lee is 8-24. The hope that all rebel forces have against the Empire is embodied in one bit of interesting but otherwise useless trivia: The lone blemish on Moore’s common opposition record is a 4-6 loss to Josh DeSilveria, a guy that Lee beat 3-2.

285. Deuce Rachal vs. Chase Singletary.

We are way, way overdue for a launch from Cape Rachal. Can we please launch a Buckeye into space? Against Gable Steveson, Rachal didn’t try to throw the Gopher the first time they tied up, but the second time…. The thing is, he did not plant his hips onto Gable’s hips, throwing him off balance. When Rachal explodes with a quick confident and technically-correct throw, it is a sight to behold. I just want to behold it again. And again.

The Deuce is 6-4, while Singletary is 8-2, against similar foes. Rachal really needs to get a win here, as he has Top Ten ranked heavyweights the rest of the dual season. Wrestlestat.com is calling for a 13-5 major decision because that service somehow has the two wrestlers separated by almost 100 ranking spots. I’m feeling a throw from the Deuce or a close win for Singletary. What say you?
Old 01-28-2019
Varsity

Great preview as always, one minor correction the cardani-heinselman match was in St Charles at the Lindenwood open. Cheers!
Old 01-28-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
Great preview as always, one minor correction the cardani-heinselman match was in St Charles at the Lindenwood open. Cheers!
Thanks, jay31, corrections are always appreciated!

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-29-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Thanks, jay31, corrections are always appreciated!

GO ILLINI!!!
Chief, I have to admit that I like your previews. Good one. I'm thinking best case scenario we have realistic chances to win at 125,141,157,165 and 174. No shot at the remaining weights, and two look like bonus point opportunities for OSU. So, to me, it looks like a probable 6-4 win for the Buckeyes. I'd really like to see Parker bounce back from Sunday.
Old 01-29-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
Chief, I have to admit that I like your previews. Good one. I'm thinking best case scenario we have realistic chances to win at 125,141,157,165 and 174. No shot at the remaining weights, and two look like bonus point opportunities for OSU. So, to me, it looks like a probable 6-4 win for the Buckeyes. I'd really like to see Parker bounce back from Sunday.
Have McKenna and Martin peaked too soon? They have been wrestling impossibly well for half of a season. Is there really such a thing as "peaking too soon" in anything but sexual congress? I've never been a good enough athlete to have ever had a noticeable peak, so I don't know. The few times I had rare matches or games, it was 100% mental.

I was the six-thousand-meter-tall mountain in the Himalayas.

It would be nice to see how McKenna faces a little hardship on Friday. See how he handles stress. Same with Martin.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-29-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Have McKenna and Martin peaked too soon? They have been wrestling impossibly well for half of a season. Is there really such a thing as "peaking too soon" in anything but sexual congress? I've never been a good enough athlete to have ever had a noticeable peak, so I don't know. The few times I had rare matches or games, it was 100% mental.

I was the six-thousand-meter-tall mountain in the Himalayas.

It would be nice to see how McKenna faces a little hardship on Friday. See how he handles stress. Same with Martin.

GO ILLINI!!!
It's really just 90% mental.

The other half is physical.....
Old 01-30-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
It's really just 90% mental.

The other half is physical.....
Okay, Yogi!

Old 01-30-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Okay, Yogi!

Love it.

But, they spelled SUCKS wrong....

Nevermind, I would expect that from O$U.
Old 01-31-2019
Olympian

A couple of things that I forgot to add to the Preview:

TIME: 8:00 pm (Central), Friday
TV: BTN

And from the ILLINI Wrestling Twitter account and fightingILLINI.com, you have these:

Your kid can get a clinic from IMAR!

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-31-2019
Olympian

A couple favorites from the past:

Sponsored Links