Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 02-10-2019
Junior Varsity

Wow! The coaching staff, Duncan, Barone and of course Lee should be embarrassed by that effort. Th Illini had all their starters today and The Badgers had several backups in the lineup and it ends 16 all. Illinois has to be better than this.
Old 02-10-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 626386 View Post
Wow! The coaching staff, Duncan, Barone and of course Lee should be embarrassed by that effort. Th Illini had all their starters today and The Badgers had several backups in the lineup and it ends 16 all. Illinois has to be better than this.
Were you embarrassed by the number of takedowns Barone got in the first period to build up a big lead? His win? Not something you should be personally embarrassed about, my friend.

I'm worried that Dylan Duncan is still injured. He beats Jens Lantz nine out of ten times if healthy and no weight problems. Lantz is a red-shirt senior who is in his fourth year of wrestling varsity duals. He's no slouch; but he's also no Dylan Duncan. If Duncan's going out there and taking one for the team, we should be cheering him.

Andre Lee has a need for a win against Northwestern. Can't fall back into a losing rut.

Cheers to Pio, Carr, Barone, the Carv and Parker for wins. Cheers to Kanzler and Gunther for fighting hard against highly--ranked wrestlers. That's a bad matchup for the Deuce. Hilger is highly-ranked AND doesn't have to tie up for his offense.

The ILLINI have been injured or sick all season (and missing a preseason starter), so it will take time to get into shape. The question is: Do the ILLINI have enough time?

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 02-10-2019
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Were you embarrassed by the number of takedowns Barone got in the first period to build up a big lead? His win? Not something you should be personally embarrassed about, my friend.

I'm worried that Dylan Duncan is still injured. He beats Jens Lantz nine out of ten times if healthy and no weight problems. Lantz is a red-shirt senior who is in his fourth year of wrestling varsity duals. He's no slouch; but he's also no Dylan Duncan. If Duncan's going out there and taking one for the team, we should be cheering him.

Andre Lee has a need for a win against Northwestern. Can't fall back into a losing rut.

Cheers to Pio, Carr, Barone, the Carv and Parker for wins. Cheers to Kanzler and Gunther for fighting hard against highly--ranked wrestlers. That's a bad matchup for the Deuce. Hilger is highly-ranked AND doesn't have to tie up for his offense.

The ILLINI have been injured or sick all season (and missing a preseason starter), so it will take time to get into shape. The question is: Do the ILLINI have enough time?

GO ILLINI!!!
How about all the takedowns Barone gave up in the 3rd. Come on Chief stop with the excuses
Old 02-10-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted By ChiefIllini1

Every D1 College program is facing the same issues with sickness and injuries. I do agree that Duncan should beat Lantz 9 out of 10 times. He didn't look injured but he did looked gassed late in the third period. The last two takedowns Lantz got in the third period were a result of Duncan being gassed. If Lantz hit those shots in the first period he wouldn't have scored a point on Dylan. This is just a guess, but maybe Dylan is cutting too much weight and it is affecting him late in the season??
Old 02-10-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post

GO ILLINI!!!
Pio looked good. Duncan looked out of it at the end of that match. He let the kid shoot in without much defense. No way he should have lost that match. He does not look hurt, just out of shape. Carr beat another ranked kid. Kanzler is still bad, but he had a good guy. Barone almost let the match get away, while James looked good. Emery got back on track a bit. Andre Lee has regressed tremendously. At this point, I'd almost prefer to see Wroblewski get some experience for next year. Lee is not going anywhere. People have figured out the Deuce as a one trick pony. Don't tie up and you win. Illinois should have won this dual. Haven't seen much of the Poeta and Martinez effect on the team.
Old 02-10-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwrestler View Post
Every D1 College program is facing the same issues with sickness and injuries. I do agree that Duncan should beat Lantz 9 out of 10 times. He didn't look injured but he did looked gassed late in the third period. The last two takedowns Lantz got in the third period were a result of Duncan being gassed. If Lantz hit those shots in the first period he wouldn't have scored a point on Dylan. This is just a guess, but maybe Dylan is cutting too much weight and it is affecting him late in the season??
My thoughts exactly. He looked gassed, big time.
Old 02-10-2019
Junior Varsity

I keep hearing the word gassed associated with Illinois wrestling, doesn’t that fall on the coaching/training staff? Duncan and Lee losing late and Barone almost giving up a big lead late. I just keep hearing excuses all season for this team. Maybe I am just an old cynical alumni.
Old 02-10-2019
Varsity

Probably the best Kanzler has looked all season even though he lost. It seemed to me they were calling stalemate way too early on Carr so if he had time to finish some of those singles that wouldve been criteria. Carver James also one of the best matches I have seen from him.
Old 02-10-2019
Varsity

Another thing about James bonus points which shouldve been enough to win the dual—in the previous duals this year there have only been three other matches with bonus points for Illini—Carr tech against Ohio State, Parker MD against Michigan, and Duncan fall against NIU.
Old 02-11-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 626386 View Post
Maybe I am just an old cynical alumni.
And maybe you're not. An alumni. I will stipulate that you are cynical.

Barone loses by a couple of points to Sorenson. Barone needs to score more points! Barone scores 15 points in a win on the road. Barone's out of shape!

Duncan got third in the Big Ten last year as a redshirt freshman. We know he is quality from his high school folkstyle and freestyle career. Losing to Lantz, who is a redshirt senior, who is in his fourth year wrestling varsity duals for Wisconsin, is still a red flag because we know that Duncan can be a beast. What we don't know is if Dylan is ill, injured or having issues making weight. Those are the only possibilities in my mind, and whichever it is, I appreciate that he's going out there for the team. No ducking for his own seed, he's trying to help the ILLINI win even when he's not 100%.

Andre needs to unleash his beautiful offense in the first period (and every period after that). This is his last year; he's got two duals to go. Let it flow. Don't stop it.

In another thread, a sad troll (with nothing better to do) questions what effect the Poeta/IMAR tandem are having. First, you can watch the coaching videos (Coach's Chat) with Poeta and see incredible enthusiasm. We all know how he worked with Emery Parker through the years and how that's turned out.

As for IMAR, he's got the latest Coach's Chat video out. I'd link to it, but I'm on my phone and haven't watched it yet. But if you watch Barone right now, you see the unmistakable IMAR influence. The ties, the mannerisms, the takedowns, it is as obvious as the poor job your troll parents did raising you. (That's for the trolls, not the ILLINI fans).

Moreover, IMAR has been on staff for less than a year; Poeta's been on staff for less than two!

Yet, recruiting is already seeing some major blue chip results. I already mentioned development, which you can see in the ILLINI lineup. But in recruiting, ILLINOIS has amazing kids signed up. Another example of that recently hit the front page of themat.com yesterday.

D.J. "The Future" Shannon travelled across the globe to win Gold at a Junior international tournament. Kids like that want to wrestle the beautiful game like Poeta; they want to be like IMAR. Anybody who questions that, in my mind, is an obvious troll.

GO ILLINI!!!
Sponsored Links