Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 01-14-2020
Junior Varsity

Please tell me what tournament lets you contest a wrestler's weight? Abrose always runs a great tournament. However, when I asked him if we can check a wrestler's weight before the match (it was almost a 10lb difference from the previous year's regional) he simply told me "no, he already weighed in at his club". It sucks and this will never change because some clubs know they can get away with it. Apparently these clubs love racking up tot and bantam champions for team points.

Someone told me that they re-checked every wrestler's weight before the Coal City tournament. Is that true? If so, I think every tournament should do that. It's an excellent idea to hold every club accountable.
Old 01-14-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shute View Post
Please tell me what tournament lets you contest a wrestler's weight? Abrose always runs a great tournament. However, when I asked him if we can check a wrestler's weight before the match (it was almost a 10lb difference from the previous year's regional) he simply told me "no, he already weighed in at his club". It sucks and this will never change because some clubs know they can get away with it. Apparently these clubs love racking up tot and bantam champions for team points.

Someone told me that they re-checked every wrestler's weight before the Coal City tournament. Is that true? If so, I think every tournament should do that. It's an excellent idea to hold every club accountable.
I would say rechecking everyone's weights defeats the purpose, but maybe the tournament director choosing 5 random wrestlers from each team would be a nice alternative.
Old 01-14-2020
Varsity

Great example of total dishonesty. It’s nothing crazy, but it is a total lie.
Kid from the North Chicago sectional weighs 98.2 last weekend at a very old and well established elite tournament with fixed weight classes. Kid doesn’t even bother to make 96 last weekend. Wrestles up at 102 for that tournament. At Bob Jahn, his weight was listed at 93 lbs. outside of a bout with a horrible flu, there is no way he weighed in at 93 on Saturday. Hasn’t weighed that little all year. Wouldn’t bother to cut 2 lbs for an elite tournament, but is magically 3 lbs under the weight class he didn’t make the week before.

Like I said, it is nothing crazy, but it is an example. Let’s say the Bob Jahn weight spread was 87 - 93. Now you have a pretty big advantage.

Just calling it like I see it.
Old 01-14-2020
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughestSportEver View Post
Letís say the Bob Jahn weight spread was 87 - 93. Now you have a pretty big advantage.
Exactly! Since we are blocking weights it should be imperative that we have an official weigh-in/skin check before the tournament.
Old 01-14-2020
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughestSportEver View Post
Great example of total dishonesty. Itís nothing crazy, but it is a total lie.
Kid from the North Chicago sectional weighs 98.2 last weekend at a very old and well established elite tournament with fixed weight classes. Kid doesnít even bother to make 96 last weekend. Wrestles up at 102 for that tournament. At Bob Jahn, his weight was listed at 93 lbs. outside of a bout with a horrible flu, there is no way he weighed in at 93 on Saturday. Hasnít weighed that little all year. Wouldnít bother to cut 2 lbs for an elite tournament, but is magically 3 lbs under the weight class he didnít make the week before.

Like I said, it is nothing crazy, but it is an example. Letís say the Bob Jahn weight spread was 87 - 93. Now you have a pretty big advantage.

Just calling it like I see it.
I weighed him in as a head coach at 93.8 You forget we were on holiday break and I take it personal that you say we lied about the kids weight. If I were you I would talk with the tournament director about the weight spread. We dont cheat in this club in the north chicago sectional. I would focus more on training hard rather than throwing false accusations because your kid or one of your kids loss a match at a developmental tournamant.
Old 01-15-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnoble1 View Post
I weighed him in as a head coach at 93.8 You forget we were on holiday break and I take it personal that you say we lied about the kids weight. If I were you I would talk with the tournament director about the weight spread. We dont cheat in this club in the north chicago sectional. I would focus more on training hard rather than throwing false accusations because your kid or one of your kids loss a match at a developmental tournamant.
BOOM!

So it wasn't Ambrose with the candlestick in the parlor??

Isn't the Internet great....you can talk trash and get away with it. Way to step up coach. I tip my hat to you and your club.

So it looks like 1 of the 2 disputed wrestlers discussed here have been resolved so that leaves 1 in question out of 1300....lets suspend him for 2 years, disband his club, abolish satellite weigh ins...that's the answer!

Better yet ban him from Bantam STATE!!!

Last edited by Mark Weber; 01-15-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-15-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Weber View Post
BOOM!

So it wasn't Ambrose with the candlestick in the parlor??

Isn't the Internet great....you can talk trash and get away with it. Way to step up coach. I too my hat to you and your club.

So it looks like 1 of the 2 disputed wrestlers discussed here have been resolved so that leaves 1 in question out of 1300....lets suspend him for 2 years, disband his club, abolish satellite weigh ins...that's the answer!

Better yet ban him from Bantam STATE!!!
There is only one true state and that be MIDGET STATE!!!
Old 01-15-2020
Varsity

I will say I saw a lot of kids walking around lighter this weekend as they were in their prep for Tulsa, Iowa and Jon Davis.
Old 01-15-2020
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyourtoes View Post
I will say I saw a lot of kids walking around lighter this weekend as they were in their prep for Tulsa, Iowa and Jon Davis.
Yup...That's it! Some of these 6 and 7 year old are just cutting 10lbs for Tulsa. It makes perfect sense. Cutting 20 percent of your body weight is incredibly easy at that age.
Old 01-15-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shute View Post
Yup...That's it! Some of these 6 and 7 year old are just cutting 10lbs for Tulsa. It makes perfect sense. Cutting 20 percent of your body weight is incredibly easy at that age.
A. No kids around here - and I'm using 'kids' as 11 and younger - are dropping that kind of weight, so feel free to turn the alarm down a notch.

B. It is NOT easy for these kids to shed weight in most cases, which is why, a week out, kids who have to spend a little bit of time working on it, are close to their weigh-in weight 3 - 4 days before the weigh in (Tulsa weighs in tomorrow).

If you're worried about 6 / 7 year old weights, might I suggest lightening up a tad bit.
Sponsored Links