Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 01-21-2020
Olympian

The Amazing ILLINI #8 (Michigan Preview)

WHAT: Dual with Michigan
WHEN: Sunday, January 26 @ 1pm (Central)
WHERE: The friendly confines of Huff Hall
WHY: Time to beat MeatChicken!
TV: Ha! But it will be on BTN+ and Flo
SWAG: 150 pink t-shirts for Take Down Cancer Day

WHY WE HATE FICHIGAN: We don’t need any special reason to hate Fichigan. They are cheaters, and they have brought it on themselves. This is what your average person from that state is like:

Quote:
“Howzitgoin’ eh! I’m from Michigan. I’m not nearly as nice as a Canadian, but a little nicer than somebody from New Jersey or Ohio. My state is surrounded by four of the largest lakes in the world, and yet I drink contaminated water. My state and our people are famous for building cars, talking funny and the Indianapolis 500. Correction: The Indianapolis 500 is in another state. Ohmygoodness! I suck, and it shows.”
Their wrestling team is a farm club for foreign countries. Stevan Micic is taking an Olympic redshirt and wrestling for one of those “stan” or “ia” countries. Same with Myles Amine. Logan Massa is taking a redshirt thinking he can beat out IMAR. Delusional. But this is a great opportunity to put a big “L” on the Wolverines. I liked those chances even better before their last time out.

THE LAST TIME OUT: The ILLINI are coming off their worst showing of the year. Time to rebound! Fichigan is coming off their best result of the year, an upset of a very highly-ranked Minnesota team. The ILLINI are now 4-3 in duals and have a third-place trophy from the Midlands. Michigan is 4-2 in duals with a 17-19 loss to North Carolina, a 15-21 loss to Oregon State, and wins against Central Michigan 22-12, Michigan State 22-14, Maryland 34-3 and Minnesota 22-15. The Wolverines have to wrestle at Northwestern on Friday before heading down to C-U for the ILLINI on Sunday.

Fichigan finished fourth out of eight teams at the Black Knight Open and sixteenth out of thirty-two teams at Cliff Keen. Here’s their last time out—and by far their best result of the year (Michigan wrestlers in bold, meet started at 141):

Michigan 22, No. 11 Minnesota 15

125: No.14 Pat McKee SV1 (4-2) over Jack Medley
133: Joey Silva major dec. (11-3) Brent Jones
141: No.5 Mitch McKee dec. (8-5) over Cole Mattin
149: No.12 Kanen Storr dec. (11-4) over Jake Bergeland
157: No.9 Will Lewan dec. (4-2) Ryan Thomas
165: Bailee O’Reilly major dec. (17-8) over Tyler Meisinger
174: No.7 Devin Skatzka tech. fall (17-2) over Max Maylor
184: No.16 Jelani Embree SV1 (3-1) No.18 Owen Webster
197: Jackson Striggow dec. (6-4) over Hunter Ritter
285: No.2 Mason Parris fall (3:55) Garrett Joles

THE LINEUPS: Michigan is without some Olympic redshirting wrestlers including Micic, Massa and Amine. They would have a better team if they took the redshirt off of true freshman and three-time Michigan schoolboy champ Cameron Amine, although it wouldn’t help against Danny Brawlnagel, who has already beaten him twice this year.

125. Justin Cardani vs. Jack Medley. The ILLINI is favored by wrestlestat.com by one point with a projected 6-5 win. Cardani is 10-5 and 8-5 against common opponents, while the Wolverine is 11-8 and 6-11 against the same folks Cardani has wrestled. A big part of that is because Medley is 0-3 versus Malik Heinselman of Ohio State. Cardani has split with the Buckeye. In looking over his resume, the Michigan wrestler is in his third year at the school, but his first year as a starter. The best wrestler he has ever beaten was rated 28. Cardani’s best win has also been against that #28 wrestler (Elijah Oliver, Indiana).

133. Travis Piotrowski vs. Joey Silva. The computer program also spits out a one-point win for the ILLINI here. The Great Indestructible Pio has a 16-2 record and is 3-0 against common opposition. This is the Wolverine’s second year on the team, and he is filling in for Stevan Micic, so it is his first year as a starter. He’s 3-0, having started his season at the beginning of the semester. He is also 3-0 against common opponents. Silva’s best win is over #31 Derek Spann of Buffalo from last season.

141. Dylan Duncan vs. Cole Mattin. In two of his last three matches, Duncan’s faced one of the top three wrestlers at his weight in the country. He gets a break here. But not too much of one! Wrestlestat.com is calling this another one-point win for an ILLINI. That’s three in a row. Duncan has wrestled a brutal schedule and still sports a nice 11-6 record. His opponent is 11-7 as a true freshman and hasn’t faced as difficult a schedule. His best win has been against #31 Simon Dresden of Central Michigan, who Duncan also beat. Mattin got tech-falled by Pletcher, but in his last match, he gave Minnesota’s Mitch McKee a relatively close 5-8 go of it.

149. Mousa Jodeh vs. Kanen Storr. This is another day the ILLINI nation will call upon Jodeh to sacrifice his body for the good of the team. The computer program is projecting a major decision for Storr, whom they have rated as the #14 wrestler in the country at this weight. If the ILLINI can do that or even keep it to a decision, that’s a big win for the good guys.

157. Eric Barone vs. Will Lewan. This is another pivotal match for Barone and the ILLINI’s chances in a dual, as well as another tough opponent. Lewan (Montini) has a nice 13-3 record and is projected to have a three-point win over Barone. This would be a good time for Eric to pull off one of his upset specials. The Wolverine did get injured in early December at Cliff Keen, but he’s had four matches in January and seems to be about up to speed.
****INTERMISSION****

165. Danny Braunagel vs. Tyler Meisinger. Brawny2 is already 3-0 in his career against Michigan. He looks to make it 4-0 Sunday afternoon. The ILLINI is 15-5 on the year and is predicted to beat his UM opponent 12-5. I could see a major decision here. Meisinger is a pretty darn good wrestler at 157 with some nice wins, but he’s up at 165 now, after getting injured at the Black Knight Open and getting beat out by Will Lewan for the spot. In his last go, he got majored by Bailee O’Reilly from Minnesota.

174. Joseph “Guns” Gunther vs. Max Maylor. Guns will be looking for bonus points here as well. The machine is predicting a 7-2 win. The ILLINI is 4-2 against common opposition, while the Wolverine is 0-5. Guns has wins over folks like Army’s Ben Harvey, Purdue’s Dylan Lydy and Minnesota’s Devin Skatzka that Maylor didn’t match. In fact, the best he’s ever done against those three is a major decision loss. The UM kid is 3-8 with his best win against the #166 fish.

184. Zac Braunagel vs. Jelani Embree. Here the wrestlestat.com machine shows no love for the ILLINI awarding the future win by two points to the Wolverine. Brawny1 is 2-1 against common opponents, while Embree is 2-2. The difference is that Brawlnagel beat Cameron Caffey pretty bad, while Embree lost to him pretty bad and won a tight one. This is the UM kid’s third year in the lineup, second year as a starter. He’s got a nice 15-4 record on the season. That’s already better than his 13-7 record last year that included an 0-3 at the Big Ten Championships and no invitation to the Big Dance.

This is probably your Main Event of the dual, as both wrestlers are fighting for B10 and national seeding placements. Barone and Lewan at 157 is your co-main event because of the ILLINOIS schoolboy matchup. Plus, it should be a very interesting match up.

197. Matt Wroblewski vs. Jackson Striggow. This is a two-point match in Striggow’s favor according to wrestlestat.com. The two have wrestled twice before, with the Wolverine pulling off three- and four-point wins. I’ve seen progress from Wrobo-cop, so I wouldn’t be surprised if this turns out to be a one-takedown match either way. Striggow has a nice 14-4 record, while the ILLINI has a lot of work to do to earn a bid to the Big Dance sitting at 7-9 right now. The computer lists the UM kid at #57, while Wroblewski is at #61.

285. Luke Luffman vs. Mason Paris. The folks at wrestlestat.com are saying a tech fall, as Paris is 19-0 and on a bonus streak of six that includes five falls. Luffman is at 11-5, and he can present more of a challenge to the Wolverine than a tech fall, I think. The ILLINI is 3-2 against common opposition, while the Wolverine is 5-0 against the same guys. This dual could very well come down to the outcome of this match and whether bonus points are awarded or not.

CONCLUSION. To win this dual, the ILLINI will need to win some close matches. They will be home, while the Wolverines will have to travel to Evanston on Friday and make weight twice over the weekend. Wrestlestat is predicting five wins for ILLINOIS, but three of those are supposedly one-point matches. Storr and Paris will be looking for bonus points. Danny Brawlnagel and Guns should be looking for them as well.

UM has solid favorites at three weights, while the ILLINI have reasonable favorites at two. Anybody else with a win in those five matches would have worked an upset. Michigan has not had a dual on the road yet this year. They get two at once this weekend, which might test their chubby-legged freshmen and other new starters.
Old 01-21-2020
Varsity

18-15 UM
Maybe 17- 16 UM, if Brawny can get a major and Luff holds Parris to a major (doubtful, possibly a fall there ).

The wild card, as I see it, is if UI can sneak a major or 2 out of the first 3 matches (possible?).

There are upsets waiting in that dual, especially given that it's at home.
Old 01-21-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
18-15 UM
Maybe 17- 16 UM, if Brawny can get a major and Luff holds Parris to a major (doubtful, possibly a fall there ).

The wild card, as I see it, is if UI can sneak a major or 2 out of the first 3 matches (possible?).

There are upsets waiting in that dual, especially given that it's at home.
If everything goes right, I can see an 18-17 win for the Illini. Probably a UM win, but pretty close.
Old 01-21-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
If everything goes right, I can see an 18-17 win for the Illini. Probably a UM win, but pretty close.
Yep, as I said, there are upsets waiting.
Question is, can UI find them and capitalize?
Old 01-21-2020
Varsity

I would love to see the dual start at 197, last year @ Michigan State it came down to Parker vs Caffey for the win (with clutch help from Kanzler and Gasbarro earlier) and it was my favorite dual moment of the season. ZB vs Embree would be a great finish as well.
Old 01-22-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
I would love to see the dual start at 197, last year @ Michigan State it came down to Parker vs Caffey for the win (with clutch help from Kanzler and Gasbarro earlier) and it was my favorite dual moment of the season. ZB vs Embree would be a great finish as well.
Thinking about that dual with MSU last year gave me sweaty palms just now. Emery Parker was coming back from injury, and he did not have his usual gas tank. He gutted that one out. I agree that that would be the fun way to do it, saving the grooviest match on paper for last, but my thought is that the best chance to win is again starting at 125. Let me explain.

Jack Medley is probably cutting some serious pounds. Not a ton, but he's cutting some weight, and he'll have to cut twice over the weekend. The real benefit comes in at 133. Here you have Joey Silva who wrestled at 145 in high school. The Great Indestructible Pio has been in great shape this year and has taken a couple of guys into deep water.

Duncan's cutting some weight, for sure, but he handled it last year at 133.

I don't think the Michigan guys, except for maybe Embree, are cutting too much in the upper weights. Maylor looks like a stick. Lewan seems to walk around at about 157 (Montini folks can correct me here), and Striggow isn't that big. Paris is likely being force fed like feed-lot cattle.

Also, it would be a good way to get the home crowd going with some wins right off the bat.

On another note, they are adding to the promotions for this match. Besides being the Take Down Cancer dual, there's also now a "Back to School" thing:

Quote:
BACK-TO-SCHOOL

Giveaway: Drawstring Backpacks

Food: Portillo's

Illinois Wrestling vs. Michigan
Sunday, January 26, 1 pm | Huff Hall

TAKE DOWN CANCER

Giveaway: FREE Pink T-shirts to first 150 fans
I am omega jealous that you get to watch it live! I've been very happy with the BTN+ coverage so far, and I'll happily listen to Trey Sizemore's take on the dual.

WARILLINI!!!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
Yep, as I said, there are upsets waiting.
Question is, can UI find them and capitalize?
It could be easier than we expected because Michigan has come out with a bunch of "Or's" with their projected lineup. It can't be harder than expected, but it could be easier. Of course, it is the cold and flu and coronavirus season, so nobody can be sure of any lineup.

This is what the Wolverines put up on their site as projected starters:

125 Jack Medley
133 Joey Silva or Austin Assad (Silva is #21, while Assad is #67)
141 Cole Mattin or Ben Freeman (Mattin is #35, Freeman #96; he's underrated here)
149 Kanen Storr or Ben Lamantia (Storr #13, Lamantia #65)
157 Will Lewan
165 Tyler Meisinger or Reece Hughes (Meisinger #70, Hughes #71)
174 Max Maylor
184 Jelani Embree or Bobby Striggow (Embree #18, Striggow #93; big drop here)
197 Jackson Striggow or J.T. Correll (Striggow #41, Correll #146 at 184; huge drop)
Hwt Mason Parris

Hopefully, this is our announcer on BTN+ this Sunday:

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Fichigan wrestled their dual with Stupid Northwestern last night. The good news is that the bad guys lost 17-20. The bad news is that the bad guys won 20-17. Here's scoreboard (Wolverines in bold; dual started at 133):

Quote:
No. 25 Michigan 20, No. 15 Northwestern 17

Individual rankings by InterMat

125 -- Jack Medley (U-M) dec. #6 Michael DeAugustino, 3-2
133 -- Austin Assad (U-M) major dec. Dylan Utterback, 10-0
141 -- Cole Mattin (U-M) major dec. Alec McKenna, 11-3
149 -- #9 Kanen Storr (U-M) major dec. Eric Yang, 17-6
157 -- #1 Ryan Deakin (NU) dec. #12 Will Lewan, 4-1
165 -- Shayne Oster (NU) major dec. Reece Hughes, 14-0
174 -- Tyler Morland (NU) major dec. Max Maylor, 14-0
184 -- Jack Jessen (NU) dec. #13 Jelani Embree, 7-6
197 -- #18 Lucas Davison (NU) dec. Jackson Striggow, 4-1
Hwt -- #2 Mason Parris (U-M) tech. fall Jack Heyob, 20-5 (5:55)
A couple of observations about this dual, and then a couple observations about what new information this provides for the ILLINI in their dual with Fichigan. The UM coach gave up 47 wrestlestat.com rating points by going with Austin Assad over Joey Silva (46 points) and Reece Hughes over Tyler Meisinger (1 point). Forty-six of those ratings points, as you can see, involve the difference between Assad and Silva.

That decision almost came back to bite the coach. Assad managed a major against Dylan Utterback, but their team almost needed more. Utterback is 2-8 on the year, and the Great Indestructible Pio has tech-falled the NW fellow in the past.

Medley got a nice win over DeAugustino, which might have been a strategic blunder on the part of the NW coach. Medley had time to completely hydrate.

Except for Mason Paris, the Fichigan bigs were a complete dud, giving up major decisions at 165 and 174 and losing everywhere else. That gives me hope that the ILLINI can get major decisions or better at those weights as well. Oster was only one point away from a tech at 165.

If the ILLINI can win some lower-weight matches and crush some upper-weight opponents, they could have a very good dual.

WARILLINI!!!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Go for the pin

A win is a win, however

Who's the back up at 157? Give him a shot.

Dare I say I miss Andre Lee?

Braunagels still impressive. If they lose, which isn't often, they still go down fighting.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Good win for the Illini. Start off with the positives. Best energy of the day...
1 lil' cardi/ always goes hard and seems to be getting better each outing
2. Luff/ this kid looks 12 years old and wrestles with that type of energy.
3. Barone/ impressed as soon as he walk on mat, looked like he wanted to be on that mat today
4. Z. brawny/ not his best match but what a gamer! Kid has brass

Team does good job at defence and scrambling once opponents are deep on legs but becoming too dependent on it for their offense. Bad reaction on initial shots, almost like a young kid looking into eyes and getting late sprawl. Pio gets pass today, looked sick but gutted out the win. Wrob just struggles. Gunther looked better but not great match management when looking for bonus.

B+ overall in my book. Go Illini
Sponsored Links