Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News

Old 01-30-2009
Owner/Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMFISHING View Post
I know in the mid 1980's there use to be a wrestling dual meet between the best in A and AA. Every year a few of the class A boys would surprise everyone by beating a AA State Champ. There should be some good matchups. I think Roth will win his weight if he enters. Is this IHSA approved? Hope you don't have to share the proceeds with the greedy IHSA. Good luck to everyone.
Yes, it's IHSA approved. Wrestling does not fall under the All-Star by-laws. And no, the IHSA doesn't get a cut.

This could really be something special if we can get a high number of state medalists. Are you up for the challenge? (I think I'm going to use this as our slogan.)
Old 01-30-2009
Rockford Wrestler

Are you going to have clothing for sale?

Your idea is good. Maybe we can have a contest for the best idea for a slogan and logo for the tournament.

Here is one; "The Best of Illinois Challenge".

We really need the best wrestlers to particapate. There could be some great matchups. Many A, AA wrestlers would love to wrestler the best; i.e..Roth, Foreside, Gonzales, Figueroa, Murphy,.......
Old 01-30-2009
Varsity

i don't like that the consolation bracket is 1-1.5-1.5 thats way too short of a match
Old 01-30-2009
Owner/Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce View Post
i don't like that the consolation bracket is 1-1.5-1.5 thats way too short of a match
Remember that this is a one day tournament.
Old 01-30-2009
Olympian

Quote:
This is the same length as NHSCA National out in Virginia Beach too(in the wrestle-backs). Also, helps to make this a one day event.

Of course we're going to learn a lot in year one. Maybe next year we go to full length periods, maybe not.

I do know this; if we get a nice group of "All Staters" to show up, it's going to be a very exciting day of wrestling even with shorter wrestle-back periods.
Old 01-30-2009
Varsity

Quote:
I agree. Should be at least 1-2-2.
Old 01-30-2009
Varsity

So, will this tourney be limited to 250 or will you take anyone who participated from regionals forward?
Old 01-30-2009
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokjok View Post
So, will this tourney be limited to 250 or will you take anyone who participated from regionals forward?
"All State" wrestler have first registration rights. They can preregister right after individual state tournament for 8 days(roughly). Once their time-line has expired, it's open registration for anyone until we hit 250 wrestlers(IHSA wrestlers)

This is a show case tournament to try and draw Illinois talent(only) from all 3 classes. Class A, Class AA, Class AAA all in one folk style tournament. The best competing against the best... For example, I watched Odeen(Coal City) last night. I'd like to see him grapple with the AA/AAA wrestlers. Trust me, he could roll with them... and this could be the tournament to see that type of match.
Old 01-30-2009
Class A Guru

Admin or Maximus,

Have we checked with the IHSA yet to see if we can get maybe a flyer with all this information handed out to the finalists on the podiums? They already receive a letter from the IWCOA inviting them to the Illinois/Indiana dual, maybe we can do the same thing. We would have a lot more particpants I would guess. Just a thought.
Old 01-30-2009
Owner/Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
Admin or Maximus,

Have we checked with the IHSA yet to see if we can get maybe a flyer with all this information handed out to the finalists on the podiums? They already receive a letter from the IWCOA inviting them to the Illinois/Indiana dual, maybe we can do the same thing. We would have a lot more particpants I would guess. Just a thought.
I plan on personally delivering a letter to all medalists in Champaign.