Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 01-07-2020
Varsity

Ouch, going to be a tough day because I realistically see PSU going 10-0. This is a building block year and Poeta will keep bringing in recruits when the fruits of his labor pay off, but... ouch. Eyes on Hef (a year or 3 prematurely for MP's growth) after this slaughter.
Old 01-07-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
FEBRUARY 3, 2008

Looks like it might be 5-6 Austin Hoopes at heavyweight for PSU. He's in his second year there, and it appears that he wrestled 184 last season and has only a win or two against division opponents.

This information comes from two sources: Hoopes is listed as the starter at wrestlestat.com now, and Penn State fans think he'll get the call.

Finally, the promo for Sunday's dual with Indiana is "The Great Escape." Kids get a free clinic if you get there early. IMAR was pictured in the advertisement. What kid doesn't want a lesson from IMAR?

GO ILLINI!!!
Looks like it will be Seth Nevills at 285 and Shakur at 197. Per Flo, both Cassar and Conel are out for the season. There's a big drop off from Cassar to Nevills. The drop off from Conel to Shakur is perhaps non-existent, but negligible at best.

So, what does that mean for the dual. I think you go from Luffman giving up a sure 4-6 team points to now perhaps only giving up 3. I don't see him beating Nevills, but he might be able to keep it close. I still see Wroblewski giving up 3, maybe 4 team points to Shakur.
Old 01-07-2020
Varsity

Listened to most of Heffernan’s radio interview tonight, he said last year was the hardest for him, with injuries and redshirting some guys that couldve contributed, I think it is paying off now though.
Old 01-07-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
Listened to most of Heffernan’s radio interview tonight, he said last year was the hardest for him, with injuries and redshirting some guys that couldve contributed, I think it is paying off now though.
Last year was insane with the injuries! I remember that only one wrestler did NOT miss time from the starting lineup during the season. I think that was Deuce Rachal. Many of those guys missed significant portions of the year, including Emerty Parker and Mike Carr. Even the Great Indestructible Pio missed some matches.

Hate injuries!

Old 01-09-2020
hawkeye 4 life

Illini might not win a match
Old 01-09-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojans215 View Post
Ouch, going to be a tough day because I realistically see PSU going 10-0. This is a building block year and Poeta will keep bringing in recruits when the fruits of his labor pay off, but... ouch. Eyes on Hef (a year or 3 prematurely for MP's growth) after this slaughter.
Always good to keep expectations grounded, but I'm not wired that way. I am the IMAR of IMAR fans and the Poeta of ILLINI fans. For that reason, I give you the questions that remain for me regarding PSU:

125. Is Brandon Meredith for real or did he beat up on a sick guy in his last dual (and best win by far)? There is nothing in Meredith's entire portfolio that would lead me to believe he is head-and-shoulders better than Justin Cardani except for one match, a dual win over #10 Michael Colaiocco of Penn. And as I've said, Colaiocco looked like he was gassed near the beginning of the second period, which, in turn, leads me to believe he had the flu or weight problems.

Moreover, though Colaiocco is undoubtedly a stud wrestler with a nice pedigree from Blair, he is still a true freshman and subject to erratic behavior. Meredith also has some pretty suspect losses to put him on a pedestal. He lost to #49 Logan Heil of Cleveland State and #32 Jack Medley of Michigan. Last year, he lost to the #42 wrestler by tech fall. Finally, he's big for the weight and is listed at 125/133 on PSU's site, so he will almost certainly have more difficulty than Cardani in making weight.

133. If Roman Bravo-Young is not completely on his game, he could very well lose as well. I've seen a lot of people glomming onto RBY's speed, but the Great Indestructible Pio has seen 125 speed. Pio knows speed. RBY will be favored, but that might make him tight. The ILLINI can be loose, as he has nothing to lose. Then, there's the "X" factors of styles make fights, as well as Pio's length, his Greco skills and his cradle. Pio has added muscle this year and doesn't look almost sickly like he did last year. I think that may have a lot to do with his improved ability to wrestle.

149. I've just heard that we might be in for a surprise at 149.

157. Barone has shown the ability to beat very good wrestlers before. He beat #21 Brian LaPrade, #26 Logan Parks, #31 Griffin Parriot, #15 Ke-Shawn Hayes, #6 Kaleb Young, #22 Jarrett Jacques, and #25 Lane Stigall last season. Every single one of those wrestlers is ranked lower than Bo Pipher. The question you have with Brady Berge is whether he is ready to wrestle, and how would he react to a physical wrestler like Eric Barone.

184. Aaron Brooks is at 5-0 so far this year, but there are questions about him as well. The best wrestler he has faced in college was Army's Ben Harvey at 174 last year. He won that match, but he also lost to the #21 fellow, Ryan Christensen of Wisconsin. The best wrestler he's faced this year is ranked #25. Will he be able to escape from Brawny1? Can he deal with the extra size and strength?

197. Rasheed Shakur is listed as a possible starter against the ILLINI. The other possible starter is 5-6 Austin Hoopes.

285. We are all waiting for Luke Luffman to have his breakout moment. Will this be it? He has nothing to lose, and Nevills has shown a susceptibility to mobile heavys who can hit a double leg.

As I've said before, the ILLINI will have to draw to an inside straight to make this competitive, but there are some very important questions this PSU roster must answer before I hand them a win. Another question being: With all of the recent turmoil over there, how are they doing as a team? I've heard that Brody Teske is now in the Transfer Portal. There've been injuries. How do you think Nevills thinks knowing that he might get half a season in a PSU singlet?

Old 01-10-2020
Olympian

Anybody else seeing what I'm seeing?

In other news, there is online registration for the "Great Escape" kids clinic before the Sunday dual with Indiana. Check it out here. Or, you can just show up and sign a waiver then.

Quote:
Illinois Wrestling Youth Clinic

Free to participate!

Open to all children 8th grade and under.

The youth clinic will be held prior to the dual against Indiana on Sunday, January 12th with check-in starting at 10:30AM and the clinic starting at 11:00AM.

Waivers will need to be signed on the day of the event for all registrants that do not fill out this form.
GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-10-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-I-am View Post
Agreed. I can see maybe 1 or 2 close losses. That's about it, unless Carr wrestles. But, he's probably out of shape in any event.
Old 01-10-2020
Stay off the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-I-am View Post
That was answered quickly, strong performance by Cardani, great start Go Illini
Old 01-10-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffHall View Post
That was answered quickly, strong performance by Cardani, great start Go Illini
PSU wrestled several second teamers and still beat us. I give credit to every Illini wrestler except one, Gunther. To get DQd for stalling is unconsionable. He did nothing. He was completely scared the entire match and stopped trying. He didn't even seem surprised when the match was called. Embarassing. I know Hall is excellent, but come on, you have to at least try.
Sponsored Links