Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IESA

Old 02-13-2015
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopdawg View Post
I believe as the IESA members schools keep adding wrestling, and the number of teams increases, there will eventually be a class system, as in other sports. What/where that threshold is, would be a good question to ask an IESA representative.

I agree that the IESA continues to grow every year and at some point you have to at least consider a two class system. The hard part about a two class system in middle school wrestling is the amount of schools particularly small schools who don't come close to filling weight classes.

I am from a mid to small middle school and while a two class system would benefit us, I'm wondering if the first step might be to make the regionals bigger but limit teams to one wrestler per weight class instead of two as it is today? IMO that's a bigger issue to us smaller schools than the size of the schools we are wrestling. The larger teams who fill almost every weight class with two wrestlers is really hard for us to compete with. Maybe expand to top 4 to state. I'd also like to see the IESA reward the to 8 wrestlers instead of just the top 6.
Old 02-13-2015
Super JV

Iesa state

IESA should award the top 8 wrestlers when there's 24 qualifiers per weight class.
Old 02-13-2015
Varsity

Dual Team State?

Let me throw a wrench in all of this just for fun....it hasn't been mentioned for a while but has always met some decent resistance...an IESA Dual Team State. I've put a little thought into it and the way I would propose it is very similar to the way the IHSA structures it. It would add to an already long season, but only one week and for a small number of teams.

Team champions of the individual Regionals would advance to the team sectional.

Regional champions for Regions 1, 2, 3, 4 meet at a pre-determined site (as centralized as possible (would only have to put down 2 mats) on the Wednesday night following the individual state finals and wrestle....

Reg 1 vs. Reg 2 and Reg 3 vs. Reg 4. The winners would meet for the Sectional championship and the right to advance to the state tournament.

The same schematic would be used for the rest of the Regionals..

Regionals 5, 6, 7, 8
Regionals 9, 10, 11, 12
Regionals 13, 14, 15, 16

This leaves you with four teams qualifying for the dual team state tournament on the Saturday one week after the individual state finals. This could easily be held in almost any gym in the state. Two mats...two semi final matches happening at once...followed by the championship and 3rd place matches happening at the same time. Quick and easy.

Now...the hold ups...the season is long...even one week longer for just a few teams will seem like too much and that alone will generate some resistance. Also, I have on good authority that the IESA would not be willing to crown two champions (cost of awards)....so like the IHSA the individual state tournament would be just that..individual...no team scoring....and the dual team finals would crown the team champion along with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place teams.

Thoughts?
Old 02-13-2015
Junior Varsity

I agree with new2wrestling about sending 4 to state from sectionals like the high school does and with the placing of 8 at state. I think the kids would appreciate the reward of a medal at state for 8th. Some might disagree with that but I think with the number of kids in iesa it is quite an accomplishment to be top 8. The only problem I see with the dual team format is you will have the same problem as always with the best teams somehow being in the same regional and complaints from the teams that don't win regional that so is so is better than that team who won this regional
Old 02-16-2015
Varsity

tons of questions

In my opinion its a pipe dream for several reasons
Not all schools will allow 5th and 6th graders to compete because of logisitics. Its almost impossible to bus kids from 4-5 elementary schools to get to IESA practices

Coaching...while I applaud your points, you don't mention fundamental coaching. I have seen some IESA schools where their coaches were glorified babysitters, kids actually regressed! If the have good coaching, your point s valid

Not all school districts want IESA. I see your rankings and there are some wrestling powerhouses that apparently don't do IESA, particularly in Chicago and burbs. budgets the way they are they sometimes don't get funded for coaches

Travel teams. IKWF have developed some strong "travel teams" that really go far beyond the traditional IKWF and IESA levels. To be honest, these elite tournies, both in state and out of state are at a level far beyond "most" IESA wrestlers. Most town built IKWF teams as well!

Tradition: IESA needs to grow up more. I am amazed at how much better it is now than even 5 years ago! It used to be a joke arguing about depth between IESA and IKWF now there is legitimate discussion. If it can move as far in next five years, your wish may not be a pipedream. But you have to make sure there is GOOD coaching at IESA level and not "babysitters"
Sponsored Links

Tags
iesa, ikwf