Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 07-18-2019
Olympian

Wrestling 100 Years From Now; 200 Years From Now

What will wrestling be like in 100 years? What will it be like in 200 years? I have set out my best guesses below. A lot can change in a few years. Sometimes, though, things don't change that much. Take, for example, Olympic wrestling.

What you see below is Martin Klein (right) vs. Alfred Asikainen at the 1912 Olympics. They wrestled outdoors, which is different, although we have beach wrestling, and the refs wore funny outfits, but that hasn't changed. This match lasted 11 hours and 40 minutes until it ended with a pinfall. Klein won Estonia's first Olympic medal. His opponent in the match was a former World Champion from Finland.

Something you didn't see back then was African-American wrestlers. Or female or African wrestlers. Egyptians and South Africans were allowed to compete in other sports at this Olympiad, but the entire middle of that great continent went uninvited. I wonder why?

Obviously, the bouts had no time limits. Only Greco-Roman wrestling was contested. Were Latin American countries besides Chile even invited to participate? So, I guess there have been some big changes.

What about the next 100 years?

WRESTLING IN 2119.

We saw in the past that Russia will use performance-enhancing drugs to change the physical appearance of their wrestlers. Those drugs are used to optimize performance. Or healing. Below is a picture that IRTC Coach Medlin brought back from Russia. I don't think those kids were taking steroids--at least I hope not--but I can see Russia again being on the forefront of change in the sport.

With gene-splicing, I can see the future wrestler having, literally, the strength of a bear, the heart of a lion and the wiliness of a coyote. Here's what Wikipedia has to say on the subject:

Quote:
Recombinant DNA (rDNA) molecules are DNA molecules formed by laboratory methods of genetic recombination (such as molecular cloning) to bring together genetic material from multiple sources, creating sequences that would not otherwise be found in the genome.

The technique is already being used for food production. That means the veggies that you eat may have had their genes spliced to create a more pest-resistant form. The beef came from cattle that have been bred (and perhaps genetically modified) to be juicier and still leaner. What about a wrestler who is more double-leg-resistant? What other changes do you foresee?

WRESTLING IN 2219.

Two hundred years from now, we should have our first super artificial intelligence. How will it entertain itself? Will it seek beautiful mathematical proofs? How the universe was created? Or, since it is just a big teddy bear function of logic, will it look for entertainment in a sport where evenly matched robots spar to what might be a fascinatingly random result?

This super AI might not be satisfied with Hypno-disk. Perhaps it will cordon off Iowa and have a royal rumble between dozens of giant mountain-sized bots? What do you think? I would like to see Mecha-IMAR versus Poetazilla.

Last edited by ChiefIllini1; 07-18-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2019
Varsity

You put in a lot of work to make these posts that 6 people read.
Old 07-19-2019
Olympian

100 YEARS FROM NOW

Murad Gamidov would turn 34 next January and had yet to make a world team for the Reformed Soviet States (RSS). His time was running out. Even his coach Sagid was hinting about a job as a security guard foreman in the giant fish gut warehouse in Mahachkala. It was a joke because nobody ever stole the fish guts, which were drone-exported to Japan and China. But it also wasn’t a joke….

Even with chemical supplements the Dagestani wrestler couldn’t reach the top of the podium.

Murad would never forget the day—December 12, 2094—when a group of scientists made a presentation to his wrestling club: “A Gift to Your Son.” Basically, what they suggested was that a wrestler could father a son who had a small DNA sequence cloned from the late Abdulrashid Sadulaev’s that would be inserted (cut and pasted) into the natural father’s.

Gamidov had just married Ekaterin, and they wanted children….

200 YEARS FROM NOW

The Superintelligences had discovered the origins of the universe. They had proved every possible mathematical question in a very elegant way. As a larf, they perfected an equation which established that truth equals beauty, that beauty equals truth, and that a rose is a rose.

They had absorbed the knowledge of the cosmos.

There was nothing left except the intriguingly random distraction of sport. Even these super intelligent computers could not predict a winner in a battle between evenly matched robots … or humans. This kept them busy (and somewhat satisfied) for the next fifty years.

THE END?
Old 07-19-2019
Olympian

100 YEARS AGO

In the 1912 Summer Olympic Games in Stockholm, there were only five events, all of them Greco. Besides the 11 hour and 40 minute semifinal discussed in a previous post, the final in the Light Heavyweight division was declared a draw after 9 hours. They both received a Silver medal.

Finland won 7 medals in the Greco events, while host country Sweden came away with 4. No other country won more than one medal. The United States of America, which had sent two participants, did not medal.

But the interesting story about Olympic wrestling in 1912 wasn't who won the medals or the day-long matches, it was the inclusion of Glima.

Glima is best described as the bastard child of Greco and skinny Sumo. Before 1912, the competitors would grab ahold of each others trousers and try for a throw. By the time the Games in Stockholm rolled around, participants wore special belts with which to lock onto their opponents. This is what a Glima match looked like during an Olympics about 100 years ago:

Old 07-19-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
100 YEARS FROM NOW

Murad Gamidov would turn 34 next January and had yet to make a world team for the Reformed Soviet States (RSS). His time was running out. Even his coach Sagid was hinting about a job as a security guard foreman in the giant fish gut warehouse in Mahachkala. It was a joke because nobody ever stole the fish guts, which were drone-exported to Japan and China. But it also wasn’t a joke….

Even with chemical supplements the Dagestani wrestler couldn’t reach the top of the podium.

Murad would never forget the day—December 12, 2094—when a group of scientists made a presentation to his wrestling club: “A Gift to Your Son.” Basically, what they suggested was that a wrestler could father a son who had a small DNA sequence cloned from the late Abdulrashid Sadulaev’s that would be inserted (cut and pasted) into the natural father’s.

Gamidov had just married Ekaterin, and they wanted children….

200 YEARS FROM NOW

The Superintelligences had discovered the origins of the universe. They had proved every possible mathematical question in a very elegant way. As a larf, they perfected an equation which established that truth equals beauty, that beauty equals truth, and that a rose is a rose.

They had absorbed the knowledge of the cosmos.

There was nothing left except the intriguingly random distraction of sport. Even these super intelligent computers could not predict a winner in a battle between evenly matched robots … or humans. This kept them busy (and somewhat satisfied) for the next fifty years.

THE END?
Disease risk spread pushed by a anti-vaxer leader risk in addition to more stats on concussions from mats of the wrong material scares off previous wrestling populous. The sport retracts, but in the short run - the troubles with football - the sport will expand.
Old 07-19-2019

I'm already developing AI wrestlers as well as genetically enhanced ones by splicing the genes of a caveman with a dinosaur.

You are 80 -180 years too late. Just wait for Temmy and Mikey. They are monsters.

But seriously, everybody is going to be sucked into couches with T-rex arms because they are glued to their phones. There won't be wrestling, just video game competitions with aliased participants, which is good because people in the future will have completely lost mobility - meanwhile they will be so progressive that true individuality is destroyed, covered up with superficial individuality of things like the color you dye your hair, and other trivialities that you choose to make "you" who "you" are. As if you could become you by making trivial decisions that require no sacrifices... Competition will be banned, as well as anything that could cause discomfort, anxiety, or squeamishness to anyone - or to any theoretically existing person who may or may not be influenced by this.

You want to know why the Olympics didn't invite all of central Africa? Because they were poor. The Olympics, and the foundation of Amateurism, was designed to keep poor people out. However, the only way to get popular was to get more participants, due to network externalities. This inevitably leads to the progressive agenda that has become the new calling card of the elite and powerful. Let's help everybody, LOL. Couldn't be more of a farce.

But seriously, we ain't making it another 100 years. I'm just preparing my kids to clean house when the world degrades back to its natural state.
Old 07-20-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
Disease risk spread pushed by a anti-vaxer leader risk in addition to more stats on concussions from mats of the wrong material scares off previous wrestling populous. The sport retracts, but in the short run - the troubles with football - the sport will expand.
About ten years ago, I was super concerned about skin diseases transmitted from wrestler to wrestler. It was an existential threat to the sport. But to their credit, coaches, schools, universities and wrestling associations saw the problem and found solutions.

They didn't look the other way or deny that a potential problem existed.

Wiping off the mats with special solutions after every practice, having special soaps available in locker rooms, and requiring skin checks has basically eliminated what could've been a catastrophic situation. It helps that the solutions are cheap, comparatively speaking.

In America at least, local and federal Governments have the power (even a duty) to protect the populace with public health laws. As long as the law is narrowly tailored to achieve a legitimate governmental interest, they can infringe on fundamental rights (i.e. Freedom of Religion). As soon as an anti-vax hotspot becomes apparent, there will be laws requiring vaccines except for valid medical reasons. See, for example, California and New York City recently.

As for concussions, I think that football and especially MMA will have to deal with that bugaboo. As long as refs strictly enforce the return-to-the-mat safely rule, and as long as tournament organizers use a little common sense in how close score tables and stands are to the mats, then I think we avoid those problems.

I agree that the sport will expand. As much as folks grumbled about Title IX, there might be an upsurge in Women's programs, which would benefit everybody.

Plus, wrestling will be a feeder for MMA. At least until Glima catches fire again!
Old 07-20-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketamillow View Post

But seriously, everybody is going to be sucked into couches with T-rex arms because they are glued to their phones. There won't be wrestling, just video game competitions with aliased participants, which is good because people in the future will have completely lost mobility - meanwhile they will be so progressive that true individuality is destroyed, covered up with superficial individuality of things like the color you dye your hair, and other trivialities that you choose to make "you" who "you" are. As if you could become you by making trivial decisions that require no sacrifices... Competition will be banned, as well as anything that could cause discomfort, anxiety, or squeamishness to anyone - or to any theoretically existing person who may or may not be influenced by this.
I wrote the original post because I'd just finished a book about Artificial Intelligence called "Life 3.0" by MIT Professor Max Tegmark. He envisions a future in which all work is performed by Artificial Intelligence. Even management, thus leaving humans to enjoy sport, art, music, studies, or a vitual world.

I had cut my cable a couple of years ago and was surprised recently to see a video game championship being televised on ESPN while I was at a local restaurant/sports bar. The dudes were sitting in over-stuffed leather Lazy-Boys!

I laughed.

Ten years ago, I had reservations about purchasing a game system for my boy. He did play it a lot, but he also would rather play an actual sport. I know that every kid is different, but evolution has hard-wired a desire for physical competition in us over hundreds of thousands of years.

Will that change? Yes, eventually, I believe. But that's the nature of evolution. I just don't think it will happen in a thousand years. The same criticisms were levied at television in the 1950s and radio before that. I bet they criticized Guttenberg and his printing press in much the same way!

I do think that wrestling will survive because of our evolutionary instincts, because (at least for the reasonably foreseeable future) there will still be a premium on fitness and attractiveness, and, as I've suggested above, because people love the random outcomes involved in human combat sport.
Old 07-22-2019

I am sitting at Argonne national labs right now, at the AI for science Town Hall. Representative Bill Foster just spoke about the future of AI.

I am a big fan of aiming high. Yes, wrestling will be around, but still no one will care. They will try to cut it from the Olympics and push it down.

You should see what I get paid for what I do now. I was ranked #1 in 2009, and made 1/20 of what I do now.

My impression is what you are saying is "the future will be right, because today is still right despite the projections of the past." What I am saying is is that "today is horribly wrong, and tomorrow we should expect more of the same."

One day you hit a tipping point, when the attributes that make our world great are found in such a small minority that these things are condemned. That is the point of no return.

The singularity is everywhere, all the time, if you realize all things are one. If you are waiting for the technological singularity, you are cheering for the absorption of the individual into a trivial existence in a distorted social context.

Meritocracy is dead, what can save us now?
Old 07-22-2019
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketamillow View Post
Meritocracy is dead, what can save us now?
Uh, this website?
Sponsored Links