Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 10-25-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
And you're espousing the same viewpoint shared by MOST wrestling folks I know who've expressed an opinion on this, albeit privately. Yet they just giggle and tell me you have to be an idiot to post an opinion on here. Two for two.

What the bright bulbs -- who were in such a rush to point out how wrong my faith in USAW was --kinda ignored, is that at least USAW has their early weigh-in open to everyone willing to pay. Super 32 was only the first 265 (and I'm sure their in-state kids weren't given preference ). So all USAW has really done is raise their entry fees. Not the same with Super 32.

Still, the point remains, this sets a really bad precedent. And perception.

It re-inforces the notion of weight-cutting and recovery time to gain a competitive edge. No matter whether you buy into it or don't. There's even a premium being charged for it so it's either an advantage or they truly believe their clientele is stupid (or worse, just don't care about bilking them further.)

How soon 'til a weekend IKWF tournament offers Saturday night weigh-ins for a Sunday tournament... but only for an extra $10 fee?

Why not? Two of the biggest promoters of high-end tournaments have already shown us the way and if they're already doing it at the HIGHEST levels then how it could it possibly hurt to do it at just an ordinary weekly tournament?

Icy roads ahead. Drive safely.

Truth be told, most parents would pay an extra $20 to get to sleep in on Sunday mornings. You may be onto something.
Old 10-27-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Two of the biggest promoters of high-end tournaments have already shown us the way....
Make that three. In July, at the Grand River Rumble, Nuway was offering early weigh-ins for all Nuway events to anyone who purchased a "fast pass" for $45.00 each.
Old 10-27-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don E. Brook View Post
Make that three. In July, at the Grand River Rumble, Nuway was offering early weigh-ins for all Nuway events to anyone who purchased a "fast pass" for $45.00 each.
Not that I like to ever admit that Nuway should be given any credence (just kidding)... but given USAW's own recent foray to the darkside it's become quite apparent they're all more interested in serving themselves more than they are in serving us. Captive audiences they believe I'm guessing.

Really frickin' sad leadership all around if you ask me.

Can Fargo be far behind now?

If you NEED more money, raise your prices. Don't pull crap like this which literally undermines the sport (once you're able to see it for what it is).

Super 32 is still the worst of the pack IMO. It's one thing to have it open to everyone but they only offer it to SOME...

...all for the privilege of wrestling as such:

Saturday all championship matches will be 2-1.5-1.5 and consolation matches 2-1-1.
Sunday, all championship matches will be 2-2-2 and consolation 1-2-2.

2-1-1 really? For HSers? Was bad enough at Midget...

How about if the NFL makes their wildcard games only 30 minutes? Just so they can fit in a few more teams?

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 10-29-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Not that I like to ever admit that Nuway should be given any credence (just kidding)... but given USAW's own recent foray to the darkside it's become quite apparent they're all more interested in serving themselves more than they are in serving us. Captive audiences they believe I'm guessing.

Really frickin' sad leadership all around if you ask me.

Can Fargo be far behind now?

If you NEED more money, raise your prices. Don't pull crap like this which literally undermines the sport (once you're able to see it for what it is).

Super 32 is still the worst of the pack IMO. It's one thing to have it open to everyone but they only offer it to SOME...

...all for the privilege of wrestling as such:

Saturday all championship matches will be 2-1.5-1.5 and consolation matches 2-1-1.
Sunday, all championship matches will be 2-2-2 and consolation 1-2-2.

2-1-1 really? For HSers? Was bad enough at Midget...

How about if the NFL makes their wildcard games only 30 minutes? Just so they can fit in a few more teams?

I 100% agree about the shortened periods at the the high school level.When your marketing your tournament as the the toughest folkstyle tournament in the country.
I can tolerate it if both the wrestle backs and winners bracket are the same length but not a fan .
Alot can happen in one minute in a match and conditioning Often plays a part in winning or losing just ask T-Ford Melton .He made the finals where IMO He outwrestled his opponent until he was on bottom for the entire 3rd period i think .when they went neutral fatigue was obvious and it cost him .

In the semis he beat #1 mckee that was physical high pace match where mckee almost was able to come back in the third period cuz a his pace .
I will say if Travis ever decides to give up wrestling he definitely has a future in acting .
He put on a oscar winning performance to get injury time in the Mckee match where either his trainer has Mr.Myagi like skills or he was taking advantage of a flawed injury time rule that seems to cause doubt in some wrestlers every year.

So im clear Melton had a fantastic tournament and looked great and in good shape but mckee and Busiello back to back is gna take a little wind out of most wrestlers.I mean no disrespect to Melton at all if he maybe took advantage of injury time its not my place to say he did or he didnt nor would i say that it was what won him the match he wrestled great all weekend

Super 32 placers from Illinois

113-Noah Surtin 3rd place
120-Travis Ford Melton
160-Danny Braungel
HWT-Cassioppi-champion
Cassioppi had 5 matches with 4 pins and a major
46 seconds, 21 seconds ,2minutes 45 seconds,46 seconds pins and a 8-0 major in the finals .

If i missed anyone I apologize
Congratulations to all wrestlers who competed .

Truth how much would ya wager that those guys all are $20 lighter in the wallet after the weekend?
Old 10-29-2017
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherthrowyathenknowya View Post
I 100% agree about the shortened periods at the the high school level.When your marketing your tournament as the the toughest folkstyle tournament in the country.
I can tolerate it if both the wrestle backs and winners bracket are the same length but not a fan .
Alot can happen in one minute in a match and conditioning Often plays a part in winning or losing just ask T-Ford Melton .He made the finals where IMO He outwrestled his opponent until he was on bottom for the entire 3rd period i think .when they went neutral fatigue was obvious and it cost him .

In the semis he beat #1 mckee that was physical high pace match where mckee almost was able to come back in the third period cuz a his pace .
I will say if Travis ever decides to give up wrestling he definitely has a future in acting .
He put on a oscar winning performance to get injury time in the Mckee match where either his trainer has Mr.Myagi like skills or he was taking advantage of a flawed injury time rule that seems to cause doubt in some wrestlers every year.

So im clear Melton had a fantastic tournament and looked great and in good shape but mckee and Busiello back to back is gna take a little wind out of most wrestlers.I mean no disrespect to Melton at all if he maybe took advantage of injury time its not my place to say he did or he didnt nor would i say that it was what won him the match he wrestled great all weekend
I need to borrow your shoes. I got some serious egg-shell walking to do with the wife this week.
Old 10-29-2017
Olympian

I am willing to bet TCASS did not need an early weigh in.
Old 10-29-2017
hawkeye 4 life

But kids then have to make weight much earlier which presents new obstacles
Old 10-30-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherthrowyathenknowya View Post

Super 32 placers from Illinois

113-Noah Surtin 3rd place
120-Travis Ford Melton
160-Danny Braungel
HWT-Cassioppi-champion
Cassioppi had 5 matches with 4 pins and a major
46 seconds, 21 seconds ,2minutes 45 seconds,46 seconds pins and a 8-0 major in the finals .

If i missed anyone I apologize
Congratulations to all wrestlers who competed .

Truth how much would ya wager that those guys all are $20 lighter in the wallet after the weekend?
Were you in attendance for the Super 32 quarter finals where TFM wrestled McKee?
Old 10-30-2017
McKendree Wrestling/MBWC

Gracie Kristoff won Super 32 - 160lbs. This is the first year Super 32's opened it up for women, and the best part is its Freestyle. She took out a World Team member, and 2016 Fargo Champ to take home the belt.
Old 10-30-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-I-am View Post
But kids then have to make weight much earlier which presents new obstacles
Oh yeah! Imagine if they had to weigh in a week earlier what problems that would present. They should offer that option for $50 next year. I bet there would be takers. Another revenue stream to help out our cash-strapped leadership. Who has change for a $100?

In all seriousness, I never once in my life cared much about any kid choosing to cut weight or not. I know what sport this is.

My only objections have ALWAYS been with any system that easily allows for it when steps can easily be taken to restrict it dramatically -- which I believe is the best for all involved.

Close loopholes. Don't create new ones. With a price tag no less.

Same goes for holdbacks, you don't like the notion? Please change it then. But don't sit there and tell me there's a difference between a 14 year old who started school at six vs. one who started at five.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Sponsored Links