Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 03-07-2008
Junior Varsity

MAC Campionships

Looking for good things this week end at K.S.U. N.I.U should show up with some nice results , Redshirt freshman are ready to go! Mac should petition the NCAA for more bids!
Old 03-07-2008
Olympian

After this year, it wont matter. I believe the NCAA is switching to a new format for their bid system.
As it stands right now, NIU has 2 kids who really should have great chances at making the NCAA tourney. After that, they are going to need a lot of upsets and some huge wins tonight in the semis in order have a chance at other weights. Wunnicke, McLemore, and Knull could all make the finals with a win over the #2 seed tonight.
Old 03-07-2008
Junior Varsity

MAC Bids

What the conference needs to do is send Central Michigan's whole line-up to the NCAA tournament. The more All-Americans the conference gets, the more bids they will likely receive in the future. Other than CMU, the conference only has a few guys that can AA. NIU has 1-2, Eastern 1 and Kent State 1. The rest are just taking up bids to claim they have a qualifier, but in the long run they are hurting their own program. The MAC should send guys that have a chance of being All-Americans, not guys that "work hard" and are "good kids" that are "seniors"

The conference as a whole really is improving. There is more chances of All-Americans than any year in the past that I can remember. It is also cool to see a team other than in the Big Ten or Big 12 that is representing in the top 10 consistently.
Old 03-07-2008
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
What the conference needs to do is send Central Michigan's whole line-up to the NCAA tournament. The more All-Americans the conference gets, the more bids they will likely receive in the future. . The MAC should send guys that have a chance of being All-Americans, not guys that "work hard" and are "good kids" that are "seniors"
It is actually the round of 12 that factors into the qualifier allocation format. At the NCAA's watch the faces of the college coaches during that round and you will see them intently watching every kid from their respective qualifier hoping that they advance.

As far as wildcards go, it is usually a very intense meeting when the wildcards are nominated, voted and selected by the Head Coaches at the qualifier. It is usually done immediatly after the conclusion of the tournament which is tough because most of the coaches are still emotional. The logic is usually as you stated. They try to select guys that have the best chance of attaining the round of 12. Taking into consideration variables such as health, history against opponents, strength of weight class, etc. Sometimes they might favor a kid that might help a team contender for instance, Iowa qualifies 8-9 guys and one more guy might not only have a chance of attaining rouind of 12 but also assist in helping the Hawkeyes claim the team crown from the dreaded Big 12. This scenario usually doesn't happen when the Big Ten has a couple more teams fighting for the same National Team Title.
Anyway, it is by vote of the Head Coaches.

Lauden
Old 03-07-2008
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPBwrestle1 View Post
After this year, it wont matter. I believe the NCAA is switching to a new format for their bid system.
I'm not sure if they have decided anything yet except that a change will most certainly occur.
From what I understand, they are going to change from historical data to current data. The format now used charts the number of wrestlers attaining the round of 12 over the course of the past 3-5 years. The success or lack of success by the respective NCAA qualifier in relation to the success or lack of success of all the other NCAA qualifiers determines whether their allotment is increased or decreased appropriately. That is how the historical data format works.

The current data would focus only on the current strength of wrestlers eligible for NCAA participation. They would employ an RPI type format identifying the strength of the wrestler. I would assume using factors such as significants wins and strength of schedule. Sound familiar? This is the change that I have heard to be the most probable but someone would have to ask Brad Traviola. Traviola, former NCAA runnerup and coach at Northwestern, is the director of the NCAA Rules Committee. To Traviola's credit, he is soliciting major imput from all of the coaches from around the country. I wish that Dave Gannaway would take notice of such rapport with coaches.

They are also apparently going to add an additioinal 30 qualifiers to the NCAA tournament. I like it.

Lauden