Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 04-22-2019
Olympian

I want to say Nate Jackson did it for U of Indiana.
Old 04-22-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwrestler View Post
Obviously Montini, Marmion and OPRF have been the best 3A teams in the last 10 - 15 years. This said, Marmion and Montini have not produced a single D1 All-American while OPRF, Carl Sandburg, Glenbard North, Richmand Burton, Washington, Mt. Carmel, Naperville North, Highland Park, Fenwick, Grant, Hononegah, Pittsfield, Morris, Dixon, Crystal Lake Central, Providence Catholic, Carbondale, Chicago Marian, Warren and St. Rita all produced AA at the D1 level in the last 15 years. For some reason the public high schools in Illinois have produced the most D1 AA All-Americans in the last 15 years.

Carl Sandburg produced the most AA in the 2000's while OPRF has had the most success in the last few years. Mt. Carmel was the IL HS team with the most D1 AA in the early to late nineties.
I would trade a diploma from highly regarding University any day over all-american status. But some have different views on what they deem success.
Old 04-22-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
I would trade a diploma from highly regarding University any day over all-american status. But some have different views on what they deem success.
This is the funniest "trying to be intellectual" thread I've ever read on here.

Schools that are the class of our state in this sport getting called out because their kids don't achieve All-American status at the next level when they are no longer under the called-out school's control.

IF ANYTHING it should be an indictment of the programs that took such talented kids and failed to get an AA out of them.

Or how about actually putting the "blame" where it belongs: on the kids themselves.

I had the pleasure to witness a D1 practice over the weekend for the first time. There is an incredible amount of drive and self-determination required to be successful at the next level. Yes, a coach is the shepherd to get you there but they won't spit the water into your mouth after they get you to the river.

So while it's a nice anecdote to say this school had an AA and this school never did, it is at best, a misapplication of blame.

A High school coach's job is to get their kids to go win State championships and State team championships, first and foremost. Secondarily, their job is to get kids "ready for the next level" but all that really means is to be recruited to the next level.

It's the next level's job to get kids to be AA's. And the kids' job. Isn't that one of those life lessons y'all always yakking about?

If your kids are winning state titles and progressing to the likes of Harvard, Stanford, NC, Michigan, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Illinois, Navy, Air Force and Northwestern, you did your job.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 04-22-2019
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft goright View Post
I find it amazing that Montini or Marmion have not produced any D1 AAs. You would think that has to really bother them. Not sure exactly what it means, but it is a stunning statistic.
I've been saying this for years. It often takes something different to produce a HS state champion vs preparing a guy to be a D1 AA. Especially in a tough wrestling state like IL, a lot of times you have to risk your future to have success in your present.

It happens in other top HS states also. Guys who were killers in HS end up just ok in college.
Old 04-22-2019
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDOR View Post
I want to say Nate Jackson did it for U of Indiana.
Yes he is the Marian Catholic AA. T4L
Old 04-22-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted By Junior

I agree 100% with this statement. School should always come first and if a kid can open up an opportunity to help pay or get into a great university that should be their first and foremost goal. I never said otherwise.

As I stated before, Montini and Marmion have both produced a ton of state champions, which I agree is the goal of the high school coach. Both programs have had kids in their programs that definitely had the talent to become D1 All-Americans.
Old 04-22-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwrestler View Post
I agree 100% with this statement. School should always come first and if a kid can open up an opportunity to help pay or get into a great university that should be their first and foremost goal. I never said otherwise.

As I stated before, Montini and Marmion have both produced a ton of state champions, which I agree is the goal of the high school coach. Both programs have had kids in their programs that definitely had the talent to become D1 All-Americans.
I think being a All American is a lot harder to achieve than most realize. You have to pick the right school. The right weight. Get a few breaks and some luck. Unless your a no brainer hammer like Cael Sanderson. But what has hurt Illinois the last few seasons is injuries. Think of the talent that never got to give it a go. Brill, Congenie just to name a few. Olivias is another example from Cali. Where the luck comes in. Do we worry too much about Greco/free? Maybe
Do our athletes struggle on the mat ? Maybe ...... But there is no doubting Illinois can’t miss athletes in college have had their share of bad luck.
Why having a great diploma is as important as being AA in the real world. Just maybe not on a wrestling forum thread.
Old 04-22-2019
Olympian

Injuries happen.

They happen even more when you're cutting full-time and/or wrestling >100 matches a year.

There's simply no need for it.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Sponsored Links