Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniinIowa View Post
One guy that deserves mention for working hard is David Riojad. He looked markedly improved from 2 years ago in the three matches i saw. He might never be a star, but I like seeing guys getting better.
Agreed. He looks much better than when he was a freshman. I hope he keeps improving. Still looks like he needs to bulk up some when compared to some of his opponents.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
Toughest? Debatable.
Often, but not this year. Have you seen Scuffle pre-seeds?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
Agreed. He looks much better than when he was a freshman. I hope he keeps improving. Still looks like he needs to bulk up some when compared to some of his opponents.
Just lost his dad suddenly not long ago. October I want to say? Love David and his work ethic.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

With a new year comes renewed hope. At the Midlands, Eric Barone beat UNIís Derek Holschlag 3-2, but then lost to #12 Anthony Artalona of Penn. In the consolation bracket, he beat Wisconsinís Garret Model, but then lost to #40 Cade Devos of South Dakota State 2-3. This year, Barone has lost to wrestlestat #ís 40, 12, 14, 59, 14, 29, 18, 10. Thatís a very strong set of wrestlers to have faced, but last year, he was able to beat #ís 21, 26, 31, 6, 42, 22, 15 and 25.

My hope in the new year is that Eric gets back his mojo, regains that confidence, and starts whooping these fellows.

At 165, Danny Braunagel just needs to keep this pace. He finished up 5-2 at the Midlands, with his only losses to Evan Wick and David McFadden. He beat #17 Kennedy Monday, #23 Cameron Amine, #39 Shayne Oster and #18 Zach Hartman. He has a purty 13-4 overall record and should start getting the ranking he has long deserved.

I bet Iowa coach Tom Brands wouldíve liked to have had Joey ďGunsĒ Gunther in his lineup for the Midlands. Guns was a sparkling 5-1 at the Midlands, with his lone loss being to #5 Bryce Steiert. He has a an equally sparkling 10-2 record on the year. His other loss being to #15 Ben Harvey of Armyóa loss in the dual that he avenged with a 4-2 win at the Midlands.

Another bright spot at the Midlands was Brawny1, Zac Braunagel. He ended up with a 4-2 record. Heís 12-4 on the year with the losses to the wrestlestat #ís 10, 11, 23 and 36 wrestlers. He does have wins over #ís 13, 17, 21 and 49 ranked wrestlers. Besides that, he may be the only wrestler on the planet who can force Cash Wilcke to score more than 3 points in a wrestling match!

Matt Wroblewski helped the ILLINI to a third-place finish by winning three matches at the Midlands. His two losses were to the #ís 7 and 25 wrestlers in the country. Heíll need to get on a bit of a winning streak to earn an automatic berth for the conference at the weight.

Luke Luffman is another fellow who is on a golden path to winning with the ILLINI. Heís probably not used to a 10-3 record, but as a true freshman big, thatís pretty damn good. He finished with a 2-2 record at the Midlands because he ran into the #ís 6 (Hilger) and 14 (Elam) wrestlers in the country.

Quote:
My ILLINI hope for the new year is renewed faith in themselves for those who need it, to continue apace for those who don't, and health for those who wrestle at 149 pounds. My resolution is to be more kind to my fellow humans, save Tom Brands. You never know, it could be you that I wrestle for the day-olds behind the Starbucks next year.

Sponsored Links