Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
Iowa has as many if not more bonus point producers this year. If Iowa is healthy (concerns at 33/41) I don't think bonus points will matter either way.

PSU is not undermanned (see the dual?), just not a juggernaut this year. Iowa is exceptionally good this year and has a realistic shot to do what has only been done once before- 10 AA. While PSU probably will not AA 125/149/197/285.

If the starters are not healthy that is 25 or so points in the wind for Iowa at 133/141 and all bets are off.
By undermanned, i mean injured. Cassar done, Conel never really got back to form and is done, and Brady Berge out. That's 3 AA opportunities that they thought they had this season. Still I think too many of the Iowa guys keep it too close for comfort and that leads to some head scratcher losses at the NCAA.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagle 157 View Post
By undermanned, i mean injured. Cassar done, Conel never really got back to form and is done, and Brady Berge out. That's 3 AA opportunities that they thought they had this season. Still I think too many of the Iowa guys keep it too close for comfort and that leads to some head scratcher losses at the NCAA.
Lugo, Young and Warner are about the only guys that I see not pouring it on when you'd think they would. All returning and likely AA.

Lee, Desanto, Marinelli, Kemerer, Assad and Cassioppi are trying to end matches by fall/tf.

For PSU there is Lee, Joseph and Hall trying to put guys away. RBY, Brooks, Rasheed (this year) and Nevills are not bonus machines or locks to AA. 125/149/157 may get a total of 2 points if Verk can pull 2 on the backside as the other 2 wont qualify.

Looking man to man I don't see what you see as far as bonus or a way sans injuries and complete meltdown for Iowa not to win it this year. Could you do a break down?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Lugo, Young and Warner are about the only guys that I see not pouring it on when you'd think they would. All returning and likely AA.

Lee, Desanto, Marinelli, Kemerer, Assad and Cassioppi are trying to end matches by fall/tf.

For PSU there is Lee, Joseph and Hall trying to put guys away. RBY, Brooks, Rasheed (this year) and Nevills are not bonus machines or locks to AA. 125/149/157 may get a total of 2 points if Verk can pull 2 on the backside as the other 2 wont qualify.

Looking man to man I don't see what you see as far as bonus or a way sans injuries and complete meltdown for Iowa not to win it this year. Could you do a break down?
Sure, I think RBY, Lee, Joseph and Mark Hall go top 3 AA and get bonus points. Rasheed was an AA two years ago, if he can get healthy he close matches out with his cradle. 125, 149, and 157 you take what you can get. I think Nevills can be 2-2 or lower placing AA.

For Iowa, Lee, Marinelli, and Kemmerer will be top 3 AA guys. I see Lee smashing guys, cassiopi is a pinner, but Marinelli and Kemmerer will out point guys but aren't pinners like the PSU guys. Lugo, Young and Warner are good but I feel one or two of them could take some close losses because they aren't separating and take blood round losses. If Desanto isn't 100% that will be an issue for Iowa and 141 right now is very iffy for them. I dont see Murin coming back 100%. I dont see them pulling Eirman's Olympic redshirt. Assad is really good, but after he missed his first period headlock attempt against Brooks he looked deflated. So I want to see how he does the rest of the season.

Plus historically, PSU has shown up to the NCAA firing on all cylinders and Iowa has had a disappointment or two. Those factors make me think that PSU could take it in less than 3 pont tourney win.

I felt Iowa would dominate the dual, but left it close at 3 weights and went 1-3 in swing matches. If Kemmerer doesn't wrestle out of his mind they lose the dual.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Kemerer and Marinelli have been lighting it up this year.

I don't think it comes down to bonus. PSU ceiling gives at most 7 AA and could be as few as 3. Iowa could get as many as 10 with the floor being 3. Lee/Marinelli/Kemerer will score as many or more than Lee/Joseph/Hall.
Of the rest I would bet on Desanto/Murin/Lugo/Young/Assad/Cass to score more than Merideth/Verk/Pipher/Brooks/Rasheed/Nevills. I think all has to go right for PSU to make it close.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Kemerer and Marinelli have been lighting it up this year.

I don't think it comes down to bonus. PSU ceiling gives at most 7 AA and could be as few as 3. Iowa could get as many as 10 with the floor being 3. Lee/Marinelli/Kemerer will score as many or more than Lee/Joseph/Hall.
Of the rest I would bet on Desanto/Murin/Lugo/Young/Assad/Cass to score more than Merideth/Verk/Pipher/Brooks/Rasheed/Nevills. I think all has to go right for PSU to make it close.
I think your break down makes sense based on the results to this point. I think Iowa is at the top of their game , but could have some problems whereas PSU has already had their problems and can now make adjustments. Moreover I'm betting on Sanderson over Brands to handle the road moving forward better. Iowa's better on paper but when it comes to the intangibles I'll go with Penn st.

It's a long way until March and it's always fun to debate.
Sponsored Links