Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Double boots took alot of action from dual. Never call bottom man for stall there, stalemate at best. Pio tuff as usual, d brawny scoring points, guns impressed me and adjusted headgear thank god, z brawny is the better wrestler there, tuff loss,

Caffey needs less time on leg extensions and more time at barber! Lol. Still Illinois kid, hope success come big tourney. Over all, nice Illini win.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Closer than expected. Needed a win and bonus at heavyweight to avoid a tie and criteria loss. Cardani is going to be an All-American some day. When? Pio did his job because we needed bonus there, and the Indestructible One delivered. Dylan Duncan with the hand heavily bandaged still came through.

Brawny1 with a dominant win at 184. Wrobo-cop kept it to a regular decision against the #12 guy. We needed that! Jodeh also kept it close against a ranked feller. We needed that!

Luffman tryna give me a heart attack with a 0-0 first period against Heyob. But then he poured it on for the major. Don't know what Heyob's problem with stalling is. As a heavyweight, all you have to do is glance at a leg to avoid a stalling call. You don't even have to give the leg a hard stare.

Trey Sizemore again with the great call. He was joined matside by a pro who also knows his wrestling. Really liked the quality of the coverage. On a final note, it is possible for the ILLINI to finish the year 11-3 in duals. Least to most difficult:

@Maryland
Fresno State
@Rutgers
Purdue

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Closer than expected. Needed a win and bonus at heavyweight to avoid a tie and criteria loss. Cardani is going to be an All-American some day. When? Pio did his job because we needed bonus there, and the Indestructible One delivered. Dylan Duncan with the hand heavily bandaged still came through.

Brawny1 with a dominant win at 184. Wrobo-cop kept it to a regular decision against the #12 guy. We needed that! Jodeh also kept it close against a ranked feller. We needed that!

Luffman tryna give me a heart attack with a 0-0 first period against Heyob. But then he poured it on for the major. Don't know what Heyob's problem with stalling is. As a heavyweight, all you have to do is glance at a leg to avoid a stalling call. You don't even have to give the leg a hard stare.

Trey Sizemore again with the great call. He was joined matside by a pro who also knows his wrestling. Really liked the quality of the coverage. On a final note, it is possible for the ILLINI to finish the year 11-3 in duals. Least to most difficult:

@Maryland
Fresno State
@Rutgers
Purdue

GO ILLINI!!!
Cardani has guts. I loved his effort. Same with Pio, Duncan, big Braunagel and Luffman. The rest, not so much. We should have won this without having to rely on a major by Luffman. I'm getting concerned about Wroblewski. He looks like he's never seen the inside of a weight room. At least Andre Lee looked the part, although the results weren't markedly different.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Varsity

I really like how this team picks each other up if there’s a stumble, like Gunther and Barone doing worse than expected, 184 and 285 getting the bonus points needed to win. Great atmosphere for that last match, I believe this is the third straight dual at Huff between these 2 teams where Illini won at 285 to take it in dramatic fashion (Brooks Black, Deuce, now Luke). Cardani really won the dual with that upset though. Same ref from Friday did better this time.

This is not in the control of wrestling team but as for the arm wrestling contest before the dual the Illini promotions people really need to revisit the plan, last year they did part before the dual then I believe the finals during a break in the dual. This year the whole thing was over at least 40 minutes before the dual and hardly anyone was even there. The people in the contest apparently all left after so it didnt really add anything to the dual whatsoever. However it may be that Heffernan doesnt want distraction at the halfway point because they dont do an intermission at home.

Also I didn’t even realize Emery Parker was volunteer assistant coach for NW.

Last edited by jay31; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:40 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
I really like how this team picks each other up if thereís a stumble, like Gunther and Barone doing worse than expected, 184 and 285 getting the bonus points needed to win. Great atmosphere for that last match, I believe this is the third straight dual at Huff between these 2 teams where Illini won at 285 to take it in dramatic fashion (Brooks Black, Deuce, now Luke). Cardani really won the dual with that upset though. Same ref from Friday did better this time.

Also I didnít even realize Emery Parker was volunteer assistant coach for NW.

Some keen observations here. I would also pick Cardani as the "Man of the Match." Tough choice given that the pressure was heavily on Luffman to get bonus points, and that is very hard for a big, especially a freshman big, not named Gable, to do. (I've almost talked myself into switching my "Man of the Match," but no, I'll stick with Cardani. He did beat a highly ranked wrestler, and that could've been a six-point swing).

I didn't notice that Parker was on their bench! Wow. I hope he's staying in shape, and that he wrestles in the Last-Chance Qualifier. I would put money on him making it into the OTT. Tough sledding once you get there, but you get to tell your grandkids you "almost made" the US Olympic team in 2020.

GO ILLINI!!!
Sponsored Links