Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 4 Days Ago
Olympian

Meanwhile,

... in actual wrestling news, the latest Coaches' Rankings and the first RPI have been issued. These will be used for allocation, wild card and seeding purposes. Here are your FIGHTING ILLINI:

RANKING

Justin Cardani #21
Travis Piotrowski #6
Dylan Duncan #13
Danny Braunagel #13
Joseph Gunther #19
Zach* Braunagel #12
Luke Luffman #30

Ratings Percentage Index (RPI)

Justin Cardani #9
Travis Piotrowski #6
Dylan Duncan #11
Danny Braunagel #15
Joseph Gunther #12
Zach* Braunagel #9
Matt Wroblewski #30
Luke Luffman #30

A couple of notes: Zac is spelled Zac. I don't know how you get "Zach" out of Zac. Didn't we go through this every year with "Emory" Parker? C'mon, NCAA, put down the pipe and make sure you spell their names right. It's your job.

The Great Indestructible Pio is at #6 in both the ranking and the RPI. He has beaten #7 (Sammy Alvarez, Rutgers) and #8 (Noah Gonser, Campbell) this year, and he lost to #5 Mickey Phillipi in sudden victory.

Cardani's sweet #9 RPI indicates that his record is no fluke. He has wrestled a tough schedule. He's under-valued as well in the Ranking at #21. The ILLINI has beaten two of the guys ranked ahead of him (so far).

Both Brawnys have a shot to AA this year. 184 is nuts, and 165, after the first six is not impossible. Depends on the bracket and the matchups.

Last edited by ChiefIllini1; 4 Days Ago at 01:10 AM.
Old 4 Days Ago
Olympian

Meanwhile,

... in human interest news, a couple of stories that will warm your heart. There have been a few of these reports jangling around the internet, and I hope they go viral. Wrestling can always use good publicity.

Let me tell you about Wyatt Speck, who won the City of Minneapolis JV Championship seven days ago. He started shaky in the finals but then dominated late for an 11-3 victory to win the Championship.

Quote:
The final period of the championship match was close, and then Speck pulled away. He was the only wrestler on the team to win his weight class.

“I’ve never seen a kid get hoisted so high in the air in a high school gym in my life,” [his coach] said.

“He got off the mat and I looked over at his team and his whole team had tears in their eyes and smiles bigger than life,” [his mother] said. “And they just all embraced him. They picked him up in the air.”

Of course, mom eventually got a hug, too.

“It was awesome,” Wyatt said.

Meanwhile, Michael Gaccetta a wrestler on the Horizon High School Hawks’ JV team in Thornton, Colorado, recorded a pin against Holy Family’s Jackson Fuller on January 15. Since that also happened to be Michael's 15th birthday, his mom prepared a batch of fudge in advance to hand out to his teammates and family, win or lose.

He did not fail. He pinned his opponent, who was a senior.

Photo attributions: Top Minnesota CBS; Bottom Denver Post
Sponsored Links