Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 4 Hours Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
Losing Pio will be a big loss. I'm guardedly optimistic that Byrd will be a formidable replacement. He looked pretty darn good competing as a redshirt, but he obviously has a ways to go.
I agree about Byrd. Any idea who fills in at 149, 157, 174 and 197 next year? I don't expect Carr to be back next year, and it's hard to imagine that Wrobleski is the best we have at 197. He has the build of a 174 pounder.
Old 4 Hours Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
I agree about Byrd. Any idea who fills in at 149, 157, 174 and 197 next year? I don't expect Carr to be back next year, and it's hard to imagine that Wrobleski is the best we have at 197. He has the build of a 174 pounder.
IL could start 2 true freshman 149 could be Heard and 157 Odom.174 will be Shannon or Sizemore.197 will remain the same
Old 29 Minutes Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by calotofwrestling View Post
IL could start 2 true freshman 149 could be Heard and 157 Odom.174 will be Shannon or Sizemore.197 will remain the same
Are there no viable options on the roster now to move into these spots next year so Illinois doesn't have to start true freshman?

133 - Byrd is listed at 125, as is Domenic Zaccone? (2019 - 3rd at 132)
149 - Could We Rachal or Michael Gunther or Trey Piotrowski put on enough good weight to go here?
- If Carr doesn't return
157 - Mologousis? ('17 2nd @170, '16 2nd @160)
174 - Probably DJ Shannon or Trey Sizemore
197 - Wrobo is going to have to improve and get stronger.

From what I have seen of Elan Heard this year and of Luke Odom throughout the years, they certainly could wrestle well next year, but, imagine the strides they would make having gone through a full redshirt season. (Luffman)

Throwing them, or any of the other incoming freshman into the fire, in what should be a down(ish) 2020-21 year anyway - 6 returning starters: 4 will be sophomores, 1 junior (Wrobo), 1 senior (Duncan) - may be an act of desperation.
Considering the young talent that is on the current roster, and the talent that is coming, as much as I hate to say it, let's play for 21-22.
Yes, Duncan will be gone, but Wrobo will be a senior, both Braunagel's, Cardani and Luff will be juniors, with the incoming (redshirting) freshmen pushing everyone in the room, couldn't the Illini really make some noise by then?

Nobody wants to write off the entire 20-21 season (especially Dylan Duncan), but playing for the 21-22 season couldn't the Illini potentially contend for a trophy?
Sponsored Links