Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 1A

Old 02-20-2019
Junior Varsity

Will they go by Dakota Catholic now???

I was just curious if DWN would be changing its name to Dakota Catholic with the rumored co-op with Aquin Catholic High School in Freeport? It is too bad for Freeport High School, they just got a great foundation started for their program in sending 5 to state this year! I hope it doesn't hurt Freeport's program too bad, but I have a really good idea that Baker is already headed that direction. BTW...has anyone ever counted how my "transfers" DWN has had to their high school wrestling program and how many medals/boards those "transfers" have brought back from state? It may surprise you if you look into it...
Old 02-20-2019

That’s all interesting. Have you ever been near Dakota high school? It’s a weird community. Very, very small even considering the surrounding communities. Even if kids come from Freeport area one can never dismiss the ability of Alber to get kids to peak and over perform when the time is right. Heck, traditionally speaking how many of his champs and medal winners are his family alone? Plus the Olsen families and Milks. They’d be successful even if Freeport kids weren’t there. The Wenzel family had a couple if I remember right, both wrestling above seeds and rankings. Krafts too in years past. Point is no matter where they come from they get better under coach Alber. I’m sure I’m missing other families too. I believe the Blakelys are the next family to reign at DWN for a couple of years.

It’s nothing new anymore that teams are coop. These are some seriously small communities doing the best they can to provide opportunities to kids and for the most part they get better by doing it. Nothing even close to Chicago are Catholic schools. LeRoy coops, Heyworth coops, Lens coops, Aledo coop is Mercer County. These are just a few examples. Not just in wrestling either, but it gives opportunities for schools to participate in other extra curricular a and be competitive while keeping costs at a minimum for each school.

Last edited by Kona; 02-20-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2019
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeally View Post
I was just curious if DWN would be changing its name to Dakota Catholic with the rumored co-op with Aquin Catholic High School in Freeport? It is too bad for Freeport High School, they just got a great foundation started for their program in sending 5 to state this year! I hope it doesn't hurt Freeport's program too bad, but I have a really good idea that Baker is already headed that direction. BTW...has anyone ever counted how my "transfers" DWN has had to their high school wrestling program and how many medals/boards those "transfers" have brought back from state? It may surprise you if you look into it...
So looking at enrollments here Dakota without a Coop is a school of 250, you add Aquin a school of about 90 kids but with the multiplier puts them at 167. So that gives Dakota and Aquin Coop an enrollment of 417. Looking at the teams in their regional

Sterling Newman - 367
Polo/Forreston (COOP) - 406
Lena/Stockton (COOP) - 416
Dakota/Aquin (COOP) -417
Oregon - 422
Durand/Pec (COOP) - 428
Byron - 470
West Carroll/Eastland (COOP) - 500
Rock Falls - 645

Sounds like you are bitter because Dakota is already pretty good without a COOP and MIGHT get a little better. I don't think Aquin has had wrestling since the 80s. If any other team was looking for a COOP with Aquin I don't think it even makes the message board.
Old 02-21-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPfan View Post
So looking at enrollments here Dakota without a Coop is a school of 250, you add Aquin a school of about 90 kids but with the multiplier puts them at 167. So that gives Dakota and Aquin Coop an enrollment of 417. Looking at the teams in their regional

Sterling Newman - 367
Polo/Forreston (COOP) - 406
Lena/Stockton (COOP) - 416
Dakota/Aquin (COOP) -417
Oregon - 422
Durand/Pec (COOP) - 428
Byron - 470
West Carroll/Eastland (COOP) - 500
Rock Falls - 645

Sounds like you are bitter because Dakota is already pretty good without a COOP and MIGHT get a little better. I don't think Aquin has had wrestling since the 80s. If any other team was looking for a COOP with Aquin I don't think it even makes the message board.
A minor nit. Dakota is already in a coop with Orangeville for wrestling, so you have to add 102 students to your number. That doesn't change the calculus; it still keeps them in the same ballpark as the rest of the regional.

Plus a few kids who may be interested in wrestling and attend Aquin now get a chance; I know individuals can enter IHSA events if a school doesn't have a team, but really how often does that happen. It does nothing but help grow the sport, even if it's just a little.
Old 02-21-2019

I dont read this post as anyone coming at Dakota or bashing them. They are being pro active. 1A enrollment is increasing next year for the sport and everyone is aware of that. Now of course this is all a rumor but we will know for sure soon enough. This also speaks loudly for Dakota a prominent school in 1A to make this step this will be a trend we will continue to see. 2A will wash out and 1A will be extremely tough in both the Individual and Dual Team state events.
Old 02-21-2019
Viking 4 Life

I say this is a good thing. Gives another school the opportunity to let kids wrestle. Growing the sport. I'm sorry if that upsets you.
Old 02-21-2019
eazymoney

Brilliant move

This is a great move for Dakota. Now any kid within a 30 mile radius from Freeport can go to school at Aquin and wrestle for Dakota without having to get an address or actually move to Dakota. I wonder if they get two trophies within the time frame if they will now be success factored up?
Old 02-21-2019
Varsity

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeally View Post
Since Squelly talks out of his brown eye and implicitly states Dakota has been recruiting for decades, lets get some serious Cleveland Steamers cooking shall we! You want to see a team that will take 1A by storm…a team that would make King Leonidas hide behind his gates……COOP Dakota with the Lena/Stockton Coop! Coach Alber would go wrestle top 25 teams all over the nation! They could be called the Northwest Titans. I could immediately start a script on the hit movie “Remember the Titans part Deux.” NOW, I’m getting a “really good idea” like Mr. Noller previously stated and “it may really surprise you if I continue to look into it.”
Old 02-21-2019
Varsity

Send a message via AIM to NickyTheEar
Question I have is, that if they are combining with a non boundary Catholic school. Would they be subjected to the non boundary school success advancement rule and have to move up a class if they place in state 2 years in a row? This was solely developed for non boundary schools that were placing in the top 4 of wrestling year in and year out. I am curious of how this would be justified and applied if this should occur.

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-21-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by winzwildcat View Post
Since Squelly talks out of his brown eye and implicitly states Dakota has been recruiting for decades, lets get some serious Cleveland Steamers cooking shall we! You want to see a team that will take 1A by storm…a team that would make King Leonidas hide behind his gates……COOP Dakota with the Lena/Stockton Coop! Coach Alber would go wrestle top 25 teams all over the nation! They could be called the Northwest Titans. I could immediately start a script on the hit movie “Remember the Titans part Deux.” NOW, I’m getting a “really good idea” like Mr. Noller previously stated and “it may really surprise you if I continue to look into it.”
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...goGIPf5dQelbJy

Sponsored Links