Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 12-11-2017
Junior Varsity

Refs

When will we see a Ref show some stones and toss Izzy or one the prominent coaches in any one of the classes. Some of these guys seem to get away with a lot more than most of the other coaches. I was at the Ironman this weekend and Izzy should have been tossed!
Old 12-12-2017
Varsity

Tossing

Coaches know officials and how much each one will take...The good ones can run the string out but not break it...As an official I asked a few coaches to leave because of their behavior, but I never had to throw any coach out a second time....I have thrown out hall of fame coaches and 1st year coaches...It's never a goal for an official but if they take control early things seem to go well....Izzy is very intense and we have had a few discussions over the years but he has always been respectful as a coach...
Old 12-12-2017
Varsity

Do you want the pragmatic answer or something else?
Old 12-13-2017
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
When will we see a Ref show some stones and toss Izzy or one the prominent coaches in any one of the classes. Some of these guys seem to get away with a lot more than most of the other coaches. I was at the Ironman this weekend and Izzy should have been tossed!
Funny, I was at the Ironman as well and I think the ref should have been tossed. Based on what I heard from the tournament director I don't think that ref will be coming back. Now clearly Izzy was out of line but I totally understand why...and of course it didn't help when Mike jumped out there and got in his face and then the chaos ensued. Bottom line is that Woods didn't do ANYTHING wrong to deserve the penalty...it was a stupid call by the ref.

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 12-13-2017
double down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
Funny, I was at the Ironman as well and I think the ref should have been tossed. Based on what I heard from the tournament director I don't think that ref will be coming back. Now clearly Izzy was out of line but I totally understand why...and of course it didn't help when Mike jumped out there and got in his face and then the chaos ensued. Bottom line is that Woods didn't do ANYTHING wrong to deserve the penalty...it was a stupid call by the ref.
Here is my two cents on the this.

Coaches are who they are, some never get fired up, some are fired up all the time, you take both kinds.

How woods got a penalty there is beyond me and EVERY coach should have been up there, in whatever way they talk to the ref.

Wrestlers are supposed to be "properly equipped and ready to go" when they check in. If nothing was wrong at the beginning of the match with his shoe, why did it suddenly become a problem later on?

I've seen time and again head gears that don't stay on but kids are allowed to tape them during a match or get a different head gear(yes I know you are not allowed to tape a head gear but that is at the start of a match so lets cut that one off at the pass)

You can claim Izzy's personality made him out of line if that's the stance you want to take, that's your opinion (which clearly I disagree with)

But the other coach coming over and addressing Izzy was COMPLETELY inappropriate.

The thing I find issue with if you want me to pick out something is Clay going from the Montini corner over to the other corner. Really no reason for that during the match. If its a heated situation best not to mix them, but again my opinion.

If you have an issue with the way Izzy handled himself, please also explain how woods earned his penalty
Old 12-13-2017
Junior Varsity

Iím not going to even try to explain what was going through the refs mind. It was a terrible call, but Izzy running up to the circle and then all the way to the other side of the mat was totally out of line. What he needed to do was go straight to the table and discuss it at the table. Iíve seen refs instruct coaches to sit in the corner, most arenít allowed out of their chair. The opposing coach should have been tossed along with Izzy, I didnít mention him in the original post because this an Illinois thread.
Old 12-13-2017
double down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Iím not going to even try to explain what was going through the refs mind. It was a terrible call, but Izzy running up to the circle and then all the way to the other side of the mat was totally out of line. What he needed to do was go straight to the table and discuss it at the table. Iíve seen refs instruct coaches to sit in the corner, most arenít allowed out of their chair. The opposing coach should have been tossed along with Izzy, I didnít mention him in the original post because this an Illinois thread.
I cant disagree with you that it would have been better going to the table, but like i said, each coach is who they are.

that is izzy's personality.

other coaches would take a different approach because its their personality. I am no longer coaching right now but I was warned twice in 12 years (and i earned that each time you betchya) but I understood that from who I was. And at the same time I didnt get all the calls others do because of their personality, its a dangerous two edged sword
Old 12-14-2017
Wrestling Media

Some food for thought.....

Has anyone in this thread ever officiated a full high school season? I ask that question because most officials are former coaches yet most coaches are not or have not been certified officials. It is often hard to judge an official if you have not walked in his shoes. With that said it does not mean that officials are always right and coaches are always wrong. Or vice versa.
Old 12-14-2017
Junior Varsity

My 2 cents

I recall at the IHSA state tournament the year Meneweather of Washington beat Fortuna from Montini in the finals. Regardless of what happened, Izzy lost his composure after Meneweather won in the UTB (as parents are walking down on the mat to take pictures of their respective placers) and stalked the refs very audibly "Mother F-ing" this "F-ing that" as he chased down the officials (Salley and Fulcher) and not a word was said to him. Would that have been allowed for any other coach? THAT display told me as a coach that I can act that way on the biggest stage without repercussions.
Old 12-14-2017
double down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach M View Post
I recall at the IHSA state tournament the year Meneweather of Washington beat Fortuna from Montini in the finals. Regardless of what happened, Izzy lost his composure after Meneweather won in the UTB (as parents are walking down on the mat to take pictures of their respective placers) and stalked the refs very audibly "Mother F-ing" this "F-ing that" as he chased down the officials (Salley and Fulcher) and not a word was said to him. Would that have been allowed for any other coach? THAT display told me as a coach that I can act that way on the biggest stage without repercussions.
not tryin to defend that one....
Sponsored Links