Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2019
Mainefan Mainefan is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Des Plaines
Posts: 2,299
Congratulations to Peter Christensen

Defeating national #2 Jacob Cardenas of Bergen Catholic(NJ) 3-1. This reversed his loss to him last week in the finals of the Doc Buchanan.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-13-2019
mckbln's Avatar
mckbln mckbln is offline
Sergeant Major
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: River Forest, IL
Posts: 10,002
Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainefan View Post
Defeating national #2 Jacob Cardenas of Bergen Catholic(NJ) 3-1. This reversed his loss to him last week in the finals of the Doc Buchanan.
On that note, with Ferrari out because of the transfer from Blair to Bergen, IMO Pete deserves to be ranked #1 nationally at 195lbs.
__________________



"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-13-2019
scott8303 scott8303 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
On that note, with Ferrari out because of the transfer from Blair to Bergen, IMO Pete deserves to be ranked #1 nationally at 195lbs.
I thought I recognized him on the Bergen bench yesterday. You bring up a good point if he can’t wrestle the rest of the year.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-13-2019
maddog81 maddog81 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
On that note, with Ferrari out because of the transfer from Blair to Bergen, IMO Pete deserves to be ranked #1 nationally at 195lbs.
I still give the edge to Cardenas but Pete did a great job this weekend. Cardenas handled him pretty easily at doc b.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-14-2019
mckbln's Avatar
mckbln mckbln is offline
Sergeant Major
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: River Forest, IL
Posts: 10,002
Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott8303 View Post
I thought I recognized him on the Bergen bench yesterday. You bring up a good point if he can’t wrestle the rest of the year.
Now I'm hearing he will be eligible next week. Go figure.
__________________



"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-14-2019
Truth is Out There's Avatar
Truth is Out There Truth is Out There is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
Now I'm hearing he will be eligible next week. Go figure.
Congratulations to Petey. Hard work in the right situation pays off.

I posted that about Ferrari earlier.

The most interesting part is that a kid was able to transfer mid-season from one high profile private school to another. Without any ramifications or loss of eligibility.

NJ, like Pennsylvania, allows the privates schools to be their own division. It seems to work quite well -- without much if ANY detriment to the kids.

Wanna recruit? Fine.

Wanna bring the best kid from Texas halfway across the country, give the Dad a job, and scholarship him AND his little brother? Fine.

Got alumni with deep pockets who wanna see their alma mater win? Fine.

I look at what Illinois does with their restrictions to eligibility and just laugh.

Only the kids who deserve help are the ones getting shut out. Everyone else can find a way...

Congratulations to Petey. Hard work in the right situation pays off.
__________________
"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon

Last edited by Truth is Out There; 01-14-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2019
Truth is Out There's Avatar
Truth is Out There Truth is Out There is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
On that note, with Ferrari out because of the transfer from Blair to Bergen, IMO Pete deserves to be ranked #1 nationally at 195lbs.

To expound on this a bit further, since Ferrari was ranked at 195 and Cardenas is/was #2 at the same weight, the rankings don't permit more than one ranked kid from the same school at the same weight.

Ferrari was removed from the rankings I'm told the minute his transfer became official.

Moves Cardenas up to #1 and presumably, Christensen now to #1 for having gotten the victory the last time they wrestled this past weekend.

BS call in California ruled out of bounds when Petey threw Cardenas to his back. Californicated by the refs if you ask me.

Should be interesting. I think Cardenas, Ferrari and even Foca could have success at 220.
__________________
"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-14-2019
Red Turban Red Turban is offline
Double stud
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,770
Christensen and Cardenas look even to me.

Blair is a a private boarding school. Has nothing to do with your recruiting concerns. They aren't eligible for any state tournament etc. Whatever they do to put a team together is up to them.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2019
Truth is Out There's Avatar
Truth is Out There Truth is Out There is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Turban View Post
Christensen and Cardenas look even to me.
They're both great wrestlers. However, they weren't even at the end of their last match.

Rankings don't do ties I'm told. Have to ask an expert to be sure.
__________________
"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-14-2019
Red Turban Red Turban is offline
Double stud
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,770
...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
They're both great wrestlers. However, they weren't even at the end of their last match.

Rankings don't do ties I'm told. Have to ask an expert to be sure.
Or let's state something equally obviously meaningless and say according to soccer-style aggregate scoring over all meetings, Cardenas is a far superior wrestler....

For me, I disagree with the poster who said Cardenas is way better because of the Doc B match. They looked like evenly matched guys to me Saturday.

If the number 1 is available, Christensen would seem to deserve it, imo.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.